AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from my salesguy (Kraig Martin, very helpful and steered me away from some turkeys over the past 4-5 years) at the Santa Clara GG. The 42" Sony GWIII became orderable on their system this morning, so he put an order in for me before even checking with me, as we'd discussed previously. The first ones are due in 9/27 (I'm first in the queue, apparently); they've taken orders for 45 by 4pm.

I'll look at it before I pull the trigger. I'd like to compare it to the Panasonic and Hitachi 50s, and I may decide to go with one of them or the 50" GW III or even GW II. I'm revamping some cabinetry to allow me to choose any one of them. The new XBR monsters are too, too big no matter what.

Anyway, if you've been looking forward to the GW IIIs, there's finally a date for them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Specifications

• A/V Inputs --- Component Video(Y/Pb/Pr) Inputs: 2 Rear (1080i, 720p, 480p, 1480i) Composite Inputs: 1 Front/2 Rear S Video Inputs: 1 Front/2 Rear DVI-HDTV Interface: 1 Rear Audio Inputs: 1 Front/5 Rear Control S Out: 1 Rear Subwoofer Out: 1 Rear

• Power Requirements --- AC 120V 60Hz

• Weights and Measures

• Approx Dimensions (w/h/d) --- 47 1/4" x 32 1/4" x 14 1/2" (1201 x 819 x 371 mm)

• Approx Weights --- 100 lbs (45 kg)

• Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Inputs --- 2 rear (1080i, 720p, 480p, 1480i)

• Composite Inputs --- 1 Front/ 2 Rear

• S Video Inputs --- 1 Front/ 2 reer

• DVI-HDTV Interface --- 1 rear

• Audio Inputs --- 1 front/ 5 rear

• Control S out --- 1 rear

• Subwoofer out --- 1 rear

m.r.p $$2700.00 at sony site

·
Registered
923 Posts
• Approx Weights --- 100 lbs (45 kg)

That's not right - the Panny 50" is only a little over 80 pounds. I did see something that said the weight was a little over 70 pounds - which sounds more reasonible.

FWIW I pre-ordered from Sears - after deciding that we really could NOT put that 50" Panny in our bedroom. Hoping that this is a keeper.

Edit - here's the brochure: http://www.gwinnetttv.com/video/tvs/...2WE610_PDF.pdf

David

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Circuit City & Sears are sending out 10% off coupons in my area. I'll be looking to get a matching price on the 610 if I decide to take my set. List is 2799, so it should be around 2500-ish.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ten 99
Is Sears carrying the Sony GW3 units (non XBR)?
I originally ordered the Panny 50' LCD. My wife was not happy about the size - then, I went to pick it up, and it wouldn't fit in my van. I then found the 42" Sony, called the salesman that I had been dealing with - and he found it in their computer. Now, it's just a matter of waiting.

David

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't been in the Bay Area for the past couple of weeks so I haven't gotten mine. I may see if I can arrange to pick it up from a Sacramento-area store after I get a look at one. Just got two new ocicats and they're taking up all my available time.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Stopped in our local sears and they said they had 2 42" Sony GWIII's in stock but didn't have room on their floor for one yet... hmmm pretty bad when you have the newest Sony LCD and do not display it!! I told them I was interested in it and they gave me a price quote of 2749 but never offered to show me one or even tell me when they plan on setting one up... Unfortunately neither CC and BB have them in stock yet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went down to the Circuit City in Seaside, California today and saw the new kf42we610 lcd side-by-side with the Samsung hln507w; there was no comparison. The picture on the Sony was bright, detailed, and the color was perfect, while the Samsung was dark and green. I ordered the kf50we610. Check it out for yoursleves... I think you'll come to the same conclusion that I did...Sony is a better set.

~Neil

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinger
Stopped in our local sears and they said they had 2 42" Sony GWIII's in stock but didn't have room on their floor for one yet... hmmm pretty bad when you have the newest Sony LCD and do not display it!! I told them I was interested in it and they gave me a price quote of 2749 but never offered to show me one or even tell me when they plan on setting one up... Unfortunately neither CC and BB have them in stock yet!
Pinger,

AFAIK, BB has not carried the GW's (or XBR's) in the past - not sure that the III's will be any different.

David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.