AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on these two televisions?

Particularly the stretch modes. I have seen (and really like) the 413 stretch modes. How do the stretch modes on the Sony compare?

What are your thougts on the relative PQ for each? I am sure both are stunning with DVD & HD, particularly after being set up correctly, but what about the PQ for SD?

I would love to hear the thoughts from some of you who are more in the know than me.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did consider the Mitsu CRT RPTVs before looking at the GWII sets from Sony. For me in the showrooms, the Mitsus were brighter and the colors more vibrant. However the Sony images were sharper and the colors seemed truer to my eyes. Yes, the images on both sets were probably not optimized but that's what I had to work with.

The 4 things that dissuaded me from the Mitsus were:

1. Burn-in. My wife & I don't like any stretch mode at all and I don't want to worry about uneven burn-in due to watching in pillar and letterbox formats. This is not an issue on LCD RPTVs.

2. Regular reconvergence tuning. Not at all necessary on LCD RPTVs.

3. Reflections from the shiny protective screen. However, some Mitsu models are supposed to allow easy removal of the protective screen (improves image even more but exposes display screen to damage). The GWII has double-antireflective coating.

4. Limited viewing angle. I also wanted to watch the screen from my kitchen at approximately 50deg from normal. The GWII viewing angle is good to +/- 60deg. -- much wider than any CRT RPTV.

Also, the GWIIs just look sexier than the Mitsu black cubes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks for the help!

Anyone else have any thoughts, particularly as it relates to the stretch modes?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
cilantro72,

You will probably be happier with a CRT RPTV if you are not concerned about size or burn-in. Both sets require tweaking to get the best PQ. The Mits will be best in dark environments. The Sony will be best in bright environments. The Sony can be sharper than the Mits with tweaking.

I have not compared the stretch modes so I am no help there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.