AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my Sony KF-60XBR800 for about a week. This is an awesome set. I had watched the older model for about a year. What caught my eye was the difference in picture when placed beside other WS rear projectors.

When they came out with the new model, I couldn't resist any longer. Pricing on this unit is agressive. Web buy and local for $4299. Add $200 to ship if not local. People in Atlanta are prepaying for these sets with no delivery date specified. I finally found one in stock after a week's search. I was ready to go to the web, but I was also worried about shipping a high dollar piece of equipment.

I bought mine at CC and they price match. Also bought the Sony DirecTV SAT-HD 200. They are hard to find. Hooked it up yesterday to the old round dish (eliptical is on the way, also hard to find).

Utilized the DVI connection between the TV and the Receiver. Watched my first HD television yesterday. CSI was darn impressive. But Jay Leno was like being in the room with him. What a gorgeous picture.

My previous Sony was a 4:3 53" XBR and served me well for 7 years. Sold it by word of mouth in two days. Just say Sony XBR!

Would have loved to have moved to Plasma but 60-65" screen was the requirement. That meant $15K in a Plasma. I couldn't settle for 42". Seperate room for Home Theater with OH projector was not an option. Give me 5 years, all issues settled and I'll be ready for the plasma.

For anyone looking for this type of transition, I would highly recommend this LCD set. The one caution I would have is that OTA NTSC doesn't look as good as a RPTV. This set begs for an HD or progressive DVD input. Once I had my HD up and running, there was nothing more to be critical of.

By the way, daytime viewing and brightness on this set is much better than RPTV. I used to have to shut down the blinds and the skylights still made it somewhat difficult to view a movie. Not a problem with this set. Quite a difference in light output.

Hope this helps some folks make a buying decsion.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I also have a 4:3 Sony 53" XBR that's about 7 years old. How much did you get for yours? Anyone that got turned down stll interested in one of these?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sold it to a friend for $450 and that was a steal for him. It's just me and my wife so this set was like new out of the box. I took it apart once a year to clean the CRT faces.

E-Bay just sold one for $760 and the dealer down the street says he sells trade ins for $600 all the time.

In the end, I just wanted to find a good home for the big box.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Mine is in perfect condition, very low hours and was calibrated early on. From $3250 to $450 is quite a... drop. I might as well keep it for another room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Small world... I, too, have a Sony 53" XBR! However, mine is "only" 5 years old. Would love to sell it but don't know how to price it.

So, if anyone wants to take this behemoth off of my hands at a very very low price, send me an email.

crimatt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.