Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if I might get some general opinions on this tv (happy with it or not). My folks are probably going to buy one this week so I just thought I would ask for some input before they do. I have front projection crt so I don't have any experience with the rear lcd units.

They are going to be using it for all general tv and movies in a room that can be bright in the afternoon but is otherwise a good viewing room. Do you think this tv will be a good choice for general use. The tv is on sale this week so they want to get it before the sale ends. They compared it to several other units and liked it best but I thought a 2nd or 3rd opinion couldn't hurt.

Thanks for any and all opinions

David

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I own the 42-WE610. MY brief opinion is that it is a great set, especially for variable light rooms (like mine). The average Joe Blow consumer will love it to death, and even a more discerning HT aficionado (like me) will enjoy its strengths. It has tremendous color when tweaked, and very good detail (also best with tweaking). Its only weakness is in its blacks, but they can be tweaked to a pretty good level with UMR's service menu tips and a good disc like DVE.

My only question: are you sure your parents are buying this model? It is a 2003 model. Is it used? If so, they NEED to find out how many hours are on the bulb, and/or find out how/when to buy replacement bulbs. If they are buying this set new, be sure they pay in the 16-1800 range, since you can find the 2004 model 42WE655 for eighteen hundred and the new A10 for $2k in stores now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

Yes it is this model they are looking at. It is new. The newer models have not arrived yet here in Canada. The Sony people say the beginning of Sept.. On this older model they are offering a $400 in store credit which they plan on using toward the stand. They are also getting 10 months of hdtv with it so it's a pretty good deal overall. I think they will enjoy this set for some time to come.

David

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Once they go ahead and get it, look on the "popular theads" list for "UMR Does GWIII" This is a list of image quality tweaks that anyone who can read directions can perform. They noticably improve the picture. I am almost certain the tweaks will be idential between the US 610 and the Canadian 620 (if they aren't, it should be readily apparent hwen you try them). You can gain brownie points by doing this for your parents :) Digital Video Essentials is also a good disk for calibrating the settings - I have used it with great success on my 42WE610.

Have fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great tips. The next time I am down for a visit I will take care of the teaks for them as they don't like to mess with technology. They just like to turn it on and watch. That being said the Sony store is sending someone out to set it all up for them so hopefully they will make it look as good as possible. I will however take my DVE disk down with me and do some fine tweaking for them.

Thanks again

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.