AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short Version: Which is better? I mainly watch at SD (DVD and OTA), HD is only for XBOX360 and PC).

Long Version: So like, yesterday I was out buying LCD TV for my brother. We were set on an LG 32LH20R, when I saw at the store that the SD quality wasn't so good (we're still gonna watch SD mainly, HD is only for XBOX 360 and the PC). And then I came across Sony KLV-32V400A. For $100 more, it was simply gorgeous. Decent on SD, great on 1080p HDMI (mind you, this is our first LCD). Love the detailed menu and remote. Suffice to say, my brother was satifisfied by the purchase.

Then again, my own plan is to get Sammy 40A650. After seeing the 32V400A, I'm starting to have doubts. Can it be that the 40W400A (W is better than V, right?) is actually better (for my needs) than the 40A650, at the same price point? I know the Sammy is a crowd favorite around here, but please help me make an educated choice.

I'm gonna buy one of them either today or tomorrow, so I truly appreciate your quick responses. Thank you very much in advance. I live in Asia, btw. I don't get why it's KLV over here and KLD on the US, nor which XBR (3/4/5?) is the 400A supposed to be.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4n37 /forum/post/16845548

Short Version: Which is better? I mainly watch at SD (DVD and OTA), HD is only for XBOX360 and PC).

Long Version: So like, yesterday I was out buying LCD TV for my brother. We were set on an LG 32LH20R, when I saw at the store that the SD quality wasn't so good (we're still gonna watch SD mainly, HD is only for XBOX 360 and the PC). And then I came across Sony KLV-32V400A. For $100 more, it was simply gorgeous. Decent on SD, great on 1080p HDMI (mind you, this is our first LCD). Love the detailed menu and remote. Suffice to say, my brother was satifisfied by the purchase.

Then again, my own plan is to get Sammy 40A650. After seeing the 32V400A, I'm starting to have doubts. Can it be that the 40W400A (W is better than V, right?) is actually better (for my needs) than the 40A650, at the same price point? I know the Sammy is a crowd favorite around here, but please help me make an educated choice.

I'm gonna buy one of them either today or tomorrow, so I truly appreciate your quick responses. Thank you very much in advance. I live in Asia, btw. I don't get why it's KLV over here and KLD on the US, nor which XBR (3/4/5?) is the 400A supposed to be.

What sold me on the sony's was picture quality. I checked many stores and was torn between the sony and samsungs, but after PICKING each of the sets apart, I noticed that the sammy crushed the blacks(at all stores not just one). In particular I saw a commercial for camcorders on both sets and saw the sammy did not show the detailed lines of the camcorders like the sony. The camcorder on the sammy looked like a blob. The sammy and sony are much alike, but it actually came down to this for me

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd05 /forum/post/16847027

What sold me on the sony's was picture quality. I checked many stores and was torn between the sony and samsungs, but after PICKING each of the sets apart, I noticed that the sammy crushed the blacks(at all stores not just one). In particular I saw a commercial for camcorders on both sets and saw the sammy did not show the detailed lines of the camcorders like the sony. The camcorder on the sammy looked like a blob. The sammy and sony are much alike, but it actually came down to this for me

As a happy Samsung A650 owner, I can say there is no reason for a properly calibrated A650 to crush blacks. Properly calibrating the set does require instruments, but that is true of all sets.

Samsung's "store demo" mode enables several features that would cause blacks to appear crushed, probably with the intent to make blacks look deeper when compared to plasma sets. Two controls, black adjust and dynamic contrast, come immediately to mind. All of these are features that one would turn off when calibrating for source fidelity, a quality I prize and something you were looking for in your evaluation. This is not to say that you did not make the better choice for you, you may have, but black crush is a characteristic of its demo mode and not of the set itself.

What I like about the A650 is it has a user accessible Color Management System for calibrating all the colors. I don't know if the same is true of the Sony W line. This may be less important in an Asian environment, as the factory color settings are closer to the PAL standard, used in some Asian countries, than to the HD or NTSC SD specs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.