AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like this TV. I know it accepts 720p and downconverts it to 480p.

My question is???

Would a 720p signal downconverted to 480p look better or same as something that is native 480p???????

·
Registered
134 Posts
it depends

a true native (high quality) 480p should look better than a downconverted 720p (no scaling errors), but where would get a native 480P?

a downconverted 720p should look better than 480i converted to 480p (no motion artifacts)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whaen I say native I mean from a progressive scan DVD player or 480p Xbox game.

The reason I ask this is because there are a few Xbox games in 720p. I wanted to know if it would look better with 720p on and downconvrted to 480p or set the settings on the XBox to 480p and bypass the whole downconvert.

If using native 480p would look better then I think I will go with the 46h83 instead of this TV.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
The games would look better if you set the X-Box to render them as 480p. Having the X-Box send out 480p is better than having it send out 720p, then downconverting that to 480p in the set.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Weird, I purchased this TV based on the fact it was advertised as being able to do 720p. It was one of the few TVs in its price range that had 720p listed. Our dish sends everything out in 720p on HDTV as well. Now I find out it doesn't do 720p.

Not going to return it because it was such a great deal. But it has me rethinking the whole HDTV thing. Our dish outputs at 720p and I was going to get one of those new samsung dvd players that upconverts to 720p. I guess there's no point if the TV can't handle it. hmmm what to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bawb3t3a
Weird, I purchased this TV based on the fact it was advertised as being able to do 720p. It was one of the few TVs in its price range that had 720p listed. Our dish sends everything out in 720p on HDTV as well. Now I find out it doesn't do 720p.

Not going to return it because it was such a great deal. But it has me rethinking the whole HDTV thing. Our dish outputs at 720p and I was going to get one of those new samsung dvd players that upconverts to 720p. I guess there's no point if the TV can't handle it. hmmm what to do.
I was under the same impression when I bought my KP 46....

It was advertised to be able to do 720P, but I then found out it won't. Kinda shady on Sony's part....

However, IMO, the difference between 1080i and 720p is SO minimal, it's not a big deal. Except maybe in your case with your dish reciever. I have the option to output in 1080 or 720 with my Moto 5100, so I don't have that problem.

Just a quick note about the Sammy HD930 DVD player... Stay away from it. I was all about it when I first heard of it, then read some reviews on Stereo Review and CNet, and while it had some good ones, most were bad.

I also found out there was a display problem with Sony RPT that was VERY recently fixed with a firmware update....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.