AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony KP-51HW40 Widescreen monitor and a Sony DVP-NS715P that I bought about 1 year ago. This has several wide modes for viewing 4:3 pictures including zoom, full, normal, wide zoom. These are supposed to be unavailable when viewing a widescreen DVD. That's how it worked until recently. However about a month ago these wide screen modes suddenly became active and it looks like my television is receiving a letterbox 4x3 picture. I can zoom to fill the screen but I am afraid I'm not getting my best picture quality by doing that.

I am sure the DVD player is set up properly and it is connected with Component cables. We had a TV repairman out and he said the TV was going to widescreen mode OK when he fed it a 520i signal or higher but his test device couldn't input a 480p widescreen signal. He felt it must be the DVD player. I bought a new one today, a Panasonic, and after setting it up I get exactly the same thing. This DVD player is tricky to set up but it also says it is doing 480p scan to a 16x9 television.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with something similar.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why do you say the wide modes should not be available when watching a DVD?

I own a 51HW40 and I can change the wide mode when viewing a DVD. If you are watching a 16:9 enhanced DVD you should set the wide mode to FULL and for non-16:9 enhanced DVD's it depends on your player. If your player has scaling capability then keep it set to FULL and if it doesnt scale set the wide mode to ZOOM.

Those are the wide mode settings to you for optimum picture quality of a DVD.

The only time on this set that the wide modes arent available is when feeding it a 1080i signal.

Anyway, hope that helps if that was what you were referring to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.