AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this question has been asked before.... I have a KP-51WS500 and attempting to set up my HTPC to display via DVI. I have an ATI Radeon 8500 w/ the 3.7 drivers along with the lastest version of Powerstrip. I have been sucessfull in getting some resolutions up and running. What I am looking for is anyone else with this TV who is using powerstrip to share their timings and such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been having problems with getting the resolution right also. If anyone knows pls help :) im about to lose my mind toying with it. Anyways from what i read Sony says dont use the DVI to connect a PC. Does anyone know if this could harm the TV in any way. I wouldnt think it could unless you left it on and burn in took place. Thanks Razing

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Sony says dont use the DVI to connect a PC
Translation: Sony support doesn't want to bother with questions about DVI-to-PC hook-ups.

Could you guys let us know what problems, exactly, you are having? Overscan/underscan, etc.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not actually attempted to do this yet. I am planning to order my HTPC next week. I know that many people in this forum have had issues with this HDTV unit and I am just trying to do my homework ahead of time to minimize my headaches once my new system arrives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its over scanned a great deal. Ive played with powerstrip and tvtool cant get the resolution to fit for anything. It looks great but the desktop is so huge i have to scroll my mouse around on the screen to see everything on my TV that is. The Pc monitor looks fine when i Clone it. I started to play with the timing in powerstrip but cant seam to get it right thought someone might have the right timings i could enter in and try. Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Try 1280 x 720P, sony scales it to 1080 x 1920i. It might work, I don't actually have this tv, but i have had a setop box set at 720P thru DVI and the tv(tried this at work) was able to scale to 1080i. So this is why it might work give it a try and let us know.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Its over scanned a great deal.
Vertically? Horizontally? Both? Details, details.

Here are some tips that worked for me:

1) Before making changes,

a) always lock scan frequencies before making changes:

...480p and 960i is 31.5 Khz horizontal scanrate

...540p and 1080i is 33.75 Khz horizontal scanrate

...720p and 1440i is 45 Khz horizontal scanrate

Note: To achieve the right frequency, in "Advanced Timing Options", enter the horizontal scan rate, complete with decimal places, and hit TAB. So long as the correct number of lines is also in effect (see 1b), the vertical scan rate will also adjust to the correct number.

b) enforce the correct number of vertical lines:

...480p - Vertical Total must equal 525 lines (on 480p capable HDTVs)

...540p - Vertical Total must equal 563 lines (on 1080i capable HDTVs)

...720p - Vertical Total must equal 750 lines (on 720p capable HDTVs)

...960i - Vertical Total must equal 525 lines (on 480p capable HDTVs)

...1080i - Vertical Total must equal 563 lines (on 1080i capable HDTVs)

...1440i - Vertical Total must equal 751 lines (on 720p capable HDTVs)

Note: Total vertical lines = vertical_resolution + back_porch + sync_width + front_porch.

2) For horizontal over-scan, play with the front porch, back porch and sync width settings. (You can also play with the re-size buttons, but I've had less than satisfactory results with them). This should allow you to scale the horizontal width and adjust horizontal offset (center the display horizontally).

3) For vertical over-scan, generate a resolution with less vertical lines, but the *same* total number of vertical lines (per 1a). For example, if 720x540p is giving you vertical over-scan, try something like 704x530 with 563 total lines at 540p timings (33.75 Khz). Note that horizontal resolutions must be a multiple of 8, and that generally, it is best if you achieve "square pixels", e.g., when you adjust the vertical resolution, change also the horizontal resolution to maintain the correct aspect ratio. However, I have found that in some cases where vertical and horizontal overscan are of different amounts, non-square pixels may be the only way to fix the problem. After you achieve acceptable overscan (you probably won't be able to entirely do away with it, just get it to a level that makes you happy), then play with the front/back porch and sync width settings, one pixel at a time, always maintaining 563 total lines to achieve the correct vertical offset (center the display vertically).

4) Achieving an acceptable desktop does not guarantee that applications running under the same display profile will work. For example, you may need one profile for the desktop, one for the DVD software and yet another for your PVR/TV program. You can automate which profile is in effect for which application through Powerstrip.

(Tips derived and adapted from http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/exper...uperguide.html )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.