AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie in this forum and also in rear projection tv, and I have seen a thread about the Sony vs. the Hitachi "S" series, but have not seen it vs. the "F" series. I currently own a Hitachi 32" Ultravision for 6yrs(and only 6yrs), but it is starting to give me problem (having white thin horizonal lines thru out the whole screen from top to bottom about 1" apart), it's really only noticable when it has a dark background. I was quite happy about the Hitachi until the problem came along. But I think now I am ready for a bigger tv anyway and maybe a HD, so I went out to do some shopping around. I have it down to the above two model. I think I like the black finish on the Hitachi more than the silver on the Sony. The variable PIP size, and the high audio output(20w per channel) on the Sony is nice. But I do want a better tv with better picture quality. I know the Hitachi "S" series is the way to go, but it is about $1k CDN more, so that's really out of my reach. Can someone give me some advise? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm helping a family member purchase a RPTV... and I'm faced with pretty much the same choices. The Sony KP-51WS510, Hitachi 51F500, and Toshiba 51HX83 all fall within the chosen budget (Sony is the least expensive and the Toshiba the most).

I know these aren't the most expensive models around, but I'm surprised there haven't been any replies give that they must be the bread and butter for the manufacturer?

Anyone have experience / preferences with one or several of these?

Thanks..

Rob

PS: In case anyone is wondering, I haven't seen any Mitsubishi sets currently available locally (Canada).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people tells me that Hitachi makes the Sony's RPTV picture guns. Does anyone knows whether that true or not? If it is, does that means theoretically the PQ on both of these TVs are the same? By reading the specs on the TVs, Hitachi weights 66lbs more than Sony (238lbs vs. Sony 172lb). Does weight matter? The Futureshop website in Canada has Sony listed for $200 more than the Hitachi. I know listed price doesn't a whole lots, but that makes me wonder if Sony is better and hence more expensive.

Another question is that I have is, how expensive should one go for a component video cable? Is a Monster Video3 component video cable($170CAD+tax) at Futureshop much better than a RadioShack Platium Series cable ($50CAD+tax)??? It will be used for a Panasonic S25 Progressive Scan DVD connection. I'd appreciate any advice.

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Futureshop (and Best Buy in the US) have pretty large mark-ups in the cables and accessories departments. The 70% price difference is very similar to what I've seen in their computer cables (CAT5, Parallel, USB, etc...) so I wouldn't sweat it, and save the money.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Sony and love it. I use various DVD players and the Scientific Atlanta HD3100. As far as who build the CRT's I'm sure that there are only a handful of folks that do that in the same way there are only a few that make optics. If there are differences in picture quality it could be due to the implementation of the design. Getting your set aligned should make those differences shrink. The Sony - out of the box - has been the best I've seen so far. Weight differences due to cabinet, power supply components, lenses - don't know what else could add up to such a discrepancy. Cables - the RCA will work fine. Good Luck.

Augie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your comments/advise. Hitatchi won the battle. I have made my purchase from Futureshop and it will be delivered this coming Tuesday. I have ordered a HDTV terminal from my cable company as well, but that won't arrive until a week after the TV's delivery. I've also purchased both the Monster component video cable 3, and the RS Platinum component cable so just to do a comparsion, with the intention of returning one. Right now I am quite excited and looking forward to enjoy the HD. It should go well with my Denon AVR1800 and my B&W 602 S2 speakers. I will post some feedback later on.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.