AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have limited budget and can't go any higher than $3000.00 out the door. (buying on-line so tax is not an issue) Looking for some TV techs to tell me why one over the other. I really like the quality of the Sony picture, but is there more to the eye?

Thanks

K-Dog

·
Registered
56 Posts
I compared the 50-51" versions of these TVs at CC and BB, and was unable to make the Toshiba look as good as the Sony. Most of the ISFs say that the PQ will be comparable after calibration however, so you can't go wrong with either as long as you're planning to ISF. BTW, I picked up the Sony KP57HW40 for $2249.95 before taxes and warranty at the CC in Irving.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The Sony has always looked better to me personally, but I can't say that I've seen properly calibrated examples. For $3K you could also consider the 53" Pioneer. BB used to carry these, but I didn't see any the last time I was in. These tend to look pretty good OOTB and do an excellent job on NTSC content due to the built-in line doubler (which is the same as the last generation Elites).

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The Sony will show more detail than the Toshiba ... especially on DVD's.

Regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently purchased the Sony KP 51HW40 and the picture quality is awesome my son bought the toshiba and he wishes he had gotten the sony even though the toshiba is nice but the detail on the sony is much nicer.

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
223 Posts
K-Dog,

Now may be the best time to buy the Sony since it's discontinued effective July 02. List price was $3200 so I imagine you'll be able to get a deal on it. The new 57" model due out in September called the KP-57WS500 should retail for $2799. A step up model called the KP-57WV600 is due out in July and should retail for $3299. I imagine that one of the big chains will give you a pretty solid deal on the set. To my knowledge, both sets have auto convergence and I-Link inputs.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Methos00 (or anyone else that could offer advice): I am very interested in purchasing a Sony KP57HW40 and that price of 2249.95 before taxes and warranty looks very very good to me.. especially since you got it from a B&M. In this week's CC flyer, the price on the KP57HW40 is listed at $2799.99. I was wondering how you got them down that low. Any advice on how to talk the price down would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.