AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Kevin: As a very big Sony fan it pains me to say this but Sony has more work to do on HD projection TV's. The XBR10W models are being replaced with new one's (soon I would think) Some of the changes are designed to improve the weaknesses that I see in these sets. I find them to have a soft very un-Sony picture. Sony's are normally tack sharp but not these. I saw one tonight siting next to a Mitsubishi and the difference was very striking. These are Sony's first try at a mid priced 16X9 projection so I am sure they will do better. If you can wait, I would at least wait to see how the new Sony's look,if waiting is out of the question I would get a Mitsubishi.

Todd

[This message has been edited by ToddD (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
186 Posts
My dad just bought the Sony 65" KP-65XBR10W picture is great with DVD player. Charter Digital Cable picture quality SUCKS! Especially the low channels 2,4,5,7,9,11,13

those all have lines in the reception. Higher channels cable channels are ok. I've only had it for a week so can't comment much. It's also a projection I'm not to fond of projection sets but better than paying the price of a plasma screen.

------------------
http://www.ragingminds.com

Deals, Coupons & Freebies!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I purchased one about 5 months ago and am very happy. I looked at all of the 16x9 sets and though I am a Sony bigot, felt the Sony was a great picture compared to all except the Pioneer high-end models. But, I wasn't going to pay an additional $2,000 more for the Pioneer. I have had literally no problems, works with all of my other Sony "ES" equipment and remotes. Belive me, I have just about every "ES" model Sony offers ...

I think that the picture is outstanding, but, I am not a professional who might be able to see a subtle difference to the trained eye.

My only dissapointment would be that it only has one high definition component input. I have a Sony HD100 which is currently direct connected to the hi def input. My DVD player, Laser Disk player are connected to other inputs.

The problem is that if I buy a progressive scan dvd player which I will shortly, I will have to buy a component switch, which is automatic and around $245 to accomodate both hi def units through the one hi def tv input. I hear newer models this fall will incorporate two, but, I really don't care too much since I got a very good price on the tv.

In summary, I would recomend this television to anyone. Maybe a lot of others feel there are better ones, but I really did a lot of due diligence prior to my forking over a lot of money and feel it was a great value and when you get it home, I really doubt anyone could appreciate the Pioneer for the $2,000 difference. They just need to remind themselves how much better it is ...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Kevin i would pay particular attention to the info you get

from actual owners and why they chose the xbr10w over others. Comments from guys who saw one next to another

brand in a store aren't the most useful.....stores are

notorious for not having sets properly setup and feeding

different feeds to different sets. And the Sony is hardly

midpriced, it was one of the more expensive 57/65 wides

out there...so that argument is moot. Anyways i own a 65,

while not perfect, no 16:9 is, period. Anyways, i'll put down a link to some opinions i posted at the hs10 Yahoo

group......
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/message/5857

...good luck with whatever machine you choose.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The XBR10 series is mid priced compared to Sony's last HD 16X9 set, it is $11,000!! I do not agree that seeing a set in the store makes one unqualified to offer ones opinion. I am well aware of how stores set up TV's and take this into account. I would assume from your comments that you are an owner of a 65XBR10 set? The fact is SONY decided to upgrade this set midway through the model year and that is the reason for the "Low" prices. I will again repeat my suggestion that if one can wait I would wait to see how the new Sonys look before spending what is a lot of $$.

I hope that we on this forum can learn how to not attack someone who has taken their time to share insights with another who after all asked for any info he could gain. This is what a forum is for and I hope we will not see a continuation of the behavior we see in APS's post.

Todd

[This message has been edited by ToddD (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Relax Toddy, a little thin skinned are we? Actually it sez

above that i own one (no like read all of posts either?)

I never said you weren't qualified. (But since you brought

it up, what are your qualifications?....no?, not funny?)

Sony didn't decide to upgrade it midyear, i dunoo

where you're pulling that out of.....they announced it

early this year, which is status-quo for a fall equipment

release....one year later than previous xbr10w series and

lots of manufs revise models yearly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I own the 65. I absolutely love it. I was actually in the market for a Pioneer Elite, in which I know how the picture looks after several hours of auditioning. I stopped by my local GG to see if they have it, I was disappointed they don't carry it, but surprised to see the new Sony 57. In L.A. these XBRs where not expected in stores until January but this was early December and I was in search of a Christmas gift for myself. I liked the styling, it looked like a big WEGA. I put it through the wringer, I messed with it for about an hour - I hogged the remote. I was impressed, then I forgot all about the Elite. I called around town, checked online and no luck. Needless to say I went for it but with a fight. At the end I made substantial savings. I had it delivered to my house in two days and spent as much time with it as possible. A week later I called GG to return the 57, I told them I want an upgrade, give me the 65. I also haggled and got a real good price but had to wait for the first shipment three week later.

I have the DVP-9000ES and the HD-100 hooked on it through a switcher. It gives me and whoever watches it lots of pleasure. My guest are always impressed.

To some people, the Sony picture is soft, you just have to calibrate it to your taste. IMO the Sony picture is closest to real life, natural fleshtones etc. etc. and not too contrasty like the Elites. You should see a well tuned XBR next to a well tuned Elite. Do your comparison, in the end, I think you'll want to save money.

The next XBRs will have the same engine but will have an onboard HDTV decoder.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cow736:
The Sony 65" KP-65XBR10W will that utilize the feature of progressive dvd players? What's a good sony progressive dvd player?

Perfectly, I have the Sony DVP-9000ES and I'll tell you that with that combination, I don't even miss seeing HD movies from the satellite. The 9000ES IMO is the best player out in the market at the moment. The picture outside of HDTV will astound you, and the sound is superb. Read some reviews from reputable sites and make your decision.

Warning, the 9000ES is not cheap, but I think its worth every penny when you consider that it also plays SACD.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
191 Posts
...i run a Pioneer DV-37 Elite on progressive scan into my 65xbr so i can vouch for this as another workable combo.

Produces very good results !(imho!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.