AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me while I first share a quick "idiot of the year" story. After the story will be my question about the behavior of my Sony KP-65WS510

Okay, I regularly have people over to my media room to watch football games in HDTV. Last week I even posted how incredibly good the Chiefs-Colts game looked on CBS-HD. So, this sunday, as usual, I have a fairly large group of people over to watch the Pats-Colts game and while everyone is oohing and aaahing over the picture quality, I am sensing a growing frustration. The picture does NOT look very good to me. Everything looks a little blurrier than it should. The two stripes on the pants of the Colts players blur and merge and shiver in the long shots and I'm wondering what the heck is going on. I finally go to the AVS forum thread on the game and post my PQ concerns and am informed that the game looked absolutely incredible everywhere else. I decide the time has come for a complete service menu recalibration of the set. Last night, even HDNet and Discovery HD Theater didn't look as good as it usually does.

I realize there's a problem the moment I enter the Service Menu and on my HD input, it says "480P." What the hell is going on? I go in to the "HDTV Setup" menu on my Dish 811 receiver and find that it is set to 720P output. The moment I switch it to 1080I, the Sony TV registers 1080I and everything is fine and dandy once again. So, it turns out, that all my guests who were invited specifically to "watch the big game in HDTV" were treated to nothing better than "EDTV" the entire afternoon!

Ok, so here's my question. I am aware that the native HDTV mode for the Sony KP-65WS510 is 1080i. However, I was under the impression that when it sensed a 720P input, it upconverted it to 1080i. Now, it appears that the TV is actually downconverting 720p to 480p. Did you all know this? Does that mean that on my XBOX, I should NOT select 720p under the "TV capabilities" menu?

Of course, I realize as I type this, I have assumed that the fault lies with the TV. It *is* possible that this is a bug in my Dish 811 receiver. If so, I have not seen it reported on this or other DBS forums.

Have any of you encountered this? Is the Sony WS-series TV supposed to downconvert 720p to 480p?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
The WS510 series downconverts a 720p signal to 480p as stated in the manual. The WS550 series upconverts a 720p signal to 1080i as per Sony feedback, and the latest test from Home Theater Magazine where they reported the actual lines of resolution with a 720p signal on each set, in the sidebar. (They may not have done a great job reviewing all the sets, but they did report the lab data accurately). When you enter Service mode with a 720p signal on a 65WS550, you see 720P displayed in green text, but it's actually displaying it in 1080i as far as I can tell. The 720p service mode display still leaves me wondering a little (does it have native 720p?, I wouldn't think so).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by uzun
The WS510 series downconverts a 720p signal to 480p as stated in the manual.
Wow. This is news to me. [serves me right for not reading manuals! :rolleyes: ]

Any idea why it does this? I almost certainly remember reading that it can "handle" all HD formats - 1080i and 720p and assumed (yeah, I know - I'm an ass] that 720p is converted to a still-HDTV 1080i.

Actually, this experience also reassured me that, contrary to the accusations of many, I can tell the difference between a great 480p picture and a 1080i image. There really is a significant difference!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by uzun
The WS510 series downconverts a 720p signal to 480p as stated in the manual.
Sony themselves seem to suggest otherwise:

From Sony's own specifications :
Specifications:

• Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display --- Sony's Hi-Scan1080i™ TV''s accept the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible high definition digital satellite receiver.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
A lot of CRT RPTV HDTV sold today down convert 720p to 480p, not specifically limited to Sony. The reason, I guess, is to save a few pennies (what a shame) as low end models getting cheaper.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
It seems odd for Sony to do this, since almost all the other sets in the line past and present (WS550, WV600, WV700, HS510,XBR800 etc) convert 720p to 1080i. Seems it would almost cost more to make one that downconverts to 480p, but I must be wrong because other than cost reasons there would be no incentive to downconvert, when the rest of your models all upconvert.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat121
A lot of CRT RPTV HDTV sold today down convert 720p to 480p, not specifically limited to Sony. The reason, I guess, is to save a few pennies (what a shame) as low end models getting cheaper.
Who else?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
It was clear in the Home Theater review (sidebar that denoted 720p actual resolution) that either Toshiba or Hitachi (I forget which one it was) downconverted the 720p signal to 540p, I think it was the winning set that downconverted (420 actual lines of resolution from a 720p signal).

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
They must have had the Hitachi set to 540p and they didn't realize it could be changed to 1080i. Either that or it gives you no more than 420 lines of actual resolution with a 720p signal no matter what scan rate you specify.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you wanted to do something silly like convert 720p to interlaced, wouldn't you need 1440i instead of 1080i? Otherwise it sounds just like another downconversion to me, and isn't sports better in progressive format anyway?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.