AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which set should I get based on all of your expriences?

I have heard Sony has the best picture quality but that Toshiba has better build quality??

Both of these HDTV sets look nice.

------------------

Paul Graber

[email protected]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased a 53HS10 last October from OneCall.com. Right out of the box, it has performed perfectly. On this and other threads, others apparently weren't as fortunate. Mine has not had a banding problem and it still has all of the screens intact. Mine unit was manufactured in 9/00. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

------------------

Jon

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Actually, the concensus is the other way around. Sony is generally considered to be built better, but the Toshiba picture is better. (Post Calibration of course)

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you can wait a few months, Toshiba will have a 53" set in September (53HX71). Upgrades include new CRTs, new lenses, an auto-convergence system and vertical compression for any input type (anamorphic DVD support). These additions make it pretty much identical, feature wise, to the Sony.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think the "anamorphic DVD" support means the TV will have "16:9 squeeze" ability to make anamorphic widescreen DVDs appear more like on a 16:9 TV, rather than like on a regular 4:3 TV. The size of hte letterbox bars will probably be smaller and you should gain 33% more image of the DVD displayed.

I'm no expert, but that's what I think it means.

Good luck! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
50 Posts
If picture performance is of ANY importance to you, buy the SONY.

After calibration on both sets the Sony will resolve MORE of the HD signal (1053 lines of horizotal resolution) versus the Toshiba's performance of 809 lines of horizontal resolution (NOTE: Don't believe Toshiba's website...what are they smoking?)

NOTE: Lines of horizontal resolution is what produces the detail in an HD picture...

On the HD horizontal Frequency Sweep, the Sony performed out to 17 Mhz fequency (Full HD is 31.75 Mhz). The Toshiba barely made 13 Mhz.

IMHO, I would SERIOUSLY consider 16 x 9 instead of 4 x 3. There will always be MORE sales & you can ALWAYS remodel to accommodate a size difference & you won't live in this house forever...

Remember, this HD set is probably going to last you 8 to 10 years. Going 16 x 9 is your first chance to be "ahead" of the buying curve...time to "submit" this reply on my 486 computer.... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi

I bought a Sony 4 weeks ago for $1998 and I am very happy with it. I have not done any calibration yet and the picture is beautiful both on Dish and DVD.

I would recommend waiting for the newer model coming out in 3 weeks. I am impatient and did not want to wait 2 months.

The newer one also has 3:2 pulldown and two HD inputs instead of one like the current one.

CrazyEddie.com is listing the newer one for $2500.

JandR.com has the one I got for $2099 but will match the Sears price of $1998.

·
Registered
11 Posts
how did you get Sears to give you this price???

I'm going there today....a week ago they had 2500$ "special" on 53hs10...

the best price of the internet was 2247$ including shipping (sears now includes shipping in their price matching policy)

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I think I may wait for the new Sony...I'll see how impulsive I get tonight. Can I ask what exactly is 3:2 pulldown technology and is it worth waiting for the new Sony on account of this alone? I do like the fact the new units will have 2HD inputs (one for progressive scan dvd and one for digital cable/satelite). Thanks for your help!

Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, I am going to buy one of these two sets myself today after work. I have been waiting to hear all of your responses about these two sets. Sorry, the financing deal at one store ends today so I'm kind of in a rush. If anyone can give me some good advice between the Sony or Toshiba please let me know. Also, is it important to have "anamorphic DVD" support? And exactly what does that mean and does it make that much of a difference. Thanks for all your help!!!...

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.