AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem getting this TV out of letterbox mode with the DTC-100. I have the DTC-100 set to 4 X 3, however this TV still shows everything in letterbox. There is an enhanced 16 X 9 selection on the Sony that is set to automatic, and will not let me change to manual. The selection is grayed out. When I watch through the s-video port all is fine. It is only on the component input that there is a problem. i hope this makes sense. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There are two separate settings for aspect ratio on the DTC-100--one for HD On/RGB out and one for S-video/composite/RF out (HD Off).

Put the DTC-100 in the HD On mode to set aspect ratio for HD On/RGB. Then put the DTC-100 in the HD Off mode to set the aspect ratio for SD viewing. Both settings are from the same menu--the different settings are controlled by the HD On/Off mode you are in when making the settings.

This may not be related to your problem, but the separate settings were a surprise to me one evening when dealing with aspect ratio settings. I did not recall reading in the manual that separate settings were available.

If your Sony 4:3 TV does vertical compression for 16:9 viewing, then you would want to set the DTC-100 for a 16:9 screen for best vertical resolution. But, in this mode, 4:3 programs would be surrounded on all sides by black or gray bars, because the DTC-100 assumes the TV has a real 16:9 screen.

Your other choice is to set the DTC-100 (HD On) for a 4:3 screen. In this mode, the DTC-100 letterboxes 16:9 programs and sends 4:3 programs full screen. The disadvantage of this mode is some loss of vertical resolution for 16:9 programs.

What I used to do with my 4:3 HD-ready TV and my DTC-100 was set the HD On mode for 16:9 and the SD (HD Off) mode for 4:3. Then, I watched 16:9 programs with HD On via the RGB/VGA connection to the TV. I watched 4:3 programs with HD Off via the S-video connection to the TV.

Hope this helps you some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.