AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up one of these second hand for my PS2.

Before I do that, can somebody tell me does this set support 480p over component?

The ONLY thing I googled up is this page:
Code:
Code:
www.productwiki.com/sony-kv-20fs120/
But I cannot find a second link suggesting that this set is indeed 480p.

If not, which 20" CRT TV's do support 480p over component? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
449 Posts
None of the 20" support 480p. I don't believe anyone has ever made a 20" HD CRT. If you want 480p, you will have to look at some bigger CRT's. Even the current new 20" CRT's are all digital and only display in 480i. Someone will probably be along shortly to debunk this, but I am not even sure if it's possible for a CRT that size to display an HD Resolution without it distorting the image.

Though I don't see why having 480p is such a concern on a tube that small. TV's that small on interlaced, especially a good brand like that Sony, would look great, and realistically even on a bigger tube, unless this is just for DVD concern, I doubt your games are going to look much better.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 /forum/post/12984217

Someone will probably be along shortly to debunk this, but I am not even sure if it's possible for a CRT that size to display an HD Resolution without it distorting the image.

Have you ever used a CRT computer monitor?

OP, don't worry about getting a 20" 480p CRT TV (which you will never find). Your PS2 games will look as good as can be expected on a good SD CRT.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/12985186

How is that relevant?

I was under the impression that they needed the Digital-To-Analog conversion of VGA and a graphics card or some other adapter in order to be able to display those resolutions. Getting back to real TV's here, why haven't they ever made 20" HD CRTs? What is the price difference between HD and SD? They all have the ATSC tuner now, so I am wondering how it's cheaper to go with downconversion of an HD signal rather than just going directly to HD. Apparently there is only a $50 difference for Samsung's 27" HD vs the SDTV model. So, it's not like they are doing it to keep costs down.

I also believe that vertical compression or 16:9 enhanced mode is only available on 27" and higher CRT's. I think Sony was the one who started that and they never had it on a 20". So, I deduce that the 20" CRT is incapable of displaying too many lines of resolution on the screen without causing flickering or some other kind of distortion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any of these modern CRT TV's including the ****y Citizens and GE's from Walmart are capable of displaying at least 480 lines vertically.

As for "HD", no, I do NOT expect any of these 20" TV's to have a HDTV tuner. 480p is NOT what some people would refer to as "HD".

Generally HD refers to content 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

I am looking for 20" CRT television that can display 480p (progressive, meaning shooting every line instead of every second line) over COMPONENT.

You are basically saying this particular Sony CRT is in fact 480i only, yes?

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by branbran /forum/post/12985926

Any of these modern CRT TV's including the ****y Citizens and GE's from Walmart are capable of displaying at least 480 lines vertically.

As for "HD", no, I do NOT expect any of these 20" TV's to have a HDTV tuner. 480p is NOT what some people would refer to as "HD".

Generally HD refers to content 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

I am looking for 20" CRT television that can display 480p (progressive, meaning shooting every line instead of every second line) over COMPONENT.

You are basically saying this particular Sony CRT is in fact 480i only, yes?

What we are telling you is YES, the Sony is 480i, that no 20" CRT TV can display in 480p, and that PS2 will look about the same regardless. There are no 480p CRT TV.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The only CRT TVs that will do 480p are HDTVs, and AFAIK, no one ever made one that small. The smallest 4:3 CRT HDTVs that I've seen are 27", and the smallest widescreen are 26".

Component would probably be preferable to s-video, but either should be fine. FWIW, the KV-20FS120 doesn't even have an s-video input. Sony started skimping on features and didn't include s-video on the last couple 20" CRTs they made.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by branbran /forum/post/12986120

Do you think 480i would look better with component cable or s-video?

Component cables will almost always produce a better image, even on 480i. It depends on the quality of the TV, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts