Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here so please be gentle.

The TV is an older model Sony KV-32XBR26. I had this problem after transporting it from its old home to its new one. It rode in the back of my bronco and I was very gentle while driving. Max time in the car was about an hour. The TV is nowhere near anything magnetic.

Picture one is what my tv looks like when you have it on with a blank screen (ie on video 1 or 2 without any input).

Pictrure 2 is what it looks like with a regular picture on the screen.

Do I have faulty tubes or whats the deal? I will get real pics when I get home.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
You added the splotches via Photoshop or something, right?

One of two things.

1) If you can see the cracks the set off, the safety glass has separated from the main tube, and you need a new tube.

2) If the face of the set looks fine when it's not on, you have an issue in the degaussing circuit of the set, usually a bad solder joint on the degaussing coil thermistor, and it's a quick job for a TV shop. It's a common problem with Sonys.

Curt

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Yeah, it's not the tube. However the tube could also be magnetised.

If you have an old soldering gun lying around (a solering iron won't work for this), Press the trigger on the gun when the gun is about 3' away from the set. Bring the gun handle close to the set, if you leave the set on, you'll see neat colored swirls around the tube where the gun is, and move the gun around in circles until the splotches go away. (Drop some acid before doing this for some real fun!..;))

Then take the gun about 3' away from the set and only then take your finger off the trigger.

The coil in the handle of the gun will demagnetize the set, and you'll be fine.

Curt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.