AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enjoyed using a 32" XBR2 for many years without any problems.

It has never been serviced in the almost 10 years I have owned it.

While it doesn't support progressive scan and only has S-video inputs, the picture quality for DVD playback is superb.

I know this was once a Sony reference display and I want to keep enjoying it for many more years as a "second" TV.

Should I have some kind of "preventative maintenance" or should I just wait until a problem develops?

Does anyone have an opinon on this? Your input will be very much appreciated.

_______

Rick

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
With TV's the only thing you can do is put oil on the glass doors hinges, all solvents or anything in that nature shouldn't be used. There was a time you used special stuff from ratshack to keep your change a station dial from sticking but that's history.

If you keep it plugged in don't use sheets over it, and visa versa if the plug is pulled; then you can use sheets to keep it dust free. I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips on keeping the exterior clean.

I was really interested in whether any of the internal electronics need refreshing or do I just wait until something breaks?

Rick

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by millerrj
I was really interested in whether any of the internal electronics need refreshing or do I just wait until something breaks?
Wait. And then, given the age of all else in it (e.g., CRT) and the downward trend of prices and new features, you might be better off to buy new vs. pay for a repair.

Phil

·
Registered
37 Posts
The CRT is a pretty robust...my 14 year old KV27HFR is still running strong...there isn't much maintenance that you have to do, other than wipe down the exterior of the unit ever so often...if you see some slight geometry problems, colour problems, etc. you might be able to go into the service menu to tweak it a bit...but if it is fine, just leave it alone...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.