AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Sony KV-36FS13 TV. Does a tv have to do anything special to Display the Progressive scan output from a DVD player? What cabling do you need to carry progressive scan? MY tv has composite, S-Video, and Component inputs. As does my A/V Receiver. But will my tv display 480p?

Thanks in advance for any help...

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
No, thats an analog set it can only display interlaced - it doesn't support progressive at all. That requires a digital/HD set.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
While your TV won't display progressive scan, it does support vertical compression for anamorphic "enhanced for widescreen" DVDs if you use the component inputs for your DVD player (at 480i). The DVD player must be set for a 16:9 TV and you go into the TV menu to select vertical compression (I don't know exactly what Sony calls it).

I have seen a demo of this combo and it looked pretty darn good for an analog TV displaying a widescreen movie. The improvement in vertical resolution was very apparent. As Don said, with that TV you have no use for progressive scan output from a DVD player.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.