Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

New poster here, first off I would like to thank everyone for all the opinions

that helped me decide on a new set. Bought the Toshiba 36hf72 first and returned it for the Sony KV-36HS500 ( havent had time to watch it much yet)

Ok question: On Direct tv can you get the top and bottom black bars to go away? I cant seem to get it to strech? Im using a Samsung HDTV box.

Thanks for the help!~

·
Registered
980 Posts
This set displays all HD signals in widescreen format (16x9). If your tuner is outputting an HD signal there is no way to watch it in 4x3, sorry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Along the same lines, with my Sony 36XBR800 and Samsung T151 I can change the aspect on non HD programming but if I change it to "Full" I basically get 4:3 but it is not full screen. Is there any way to make the picture fit the full Sony screen instead of basically having bars on all four sides?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Mark1,

I've got a 40XBR and TWC HDTV, but I'll take a crack at your question. The 4:3 you've described is when your TV is in one of the two component inputs, either Video 5 or 6. You can hook up to an S-Video input on Video 1 to receive the full screen 4:3 material.

This is how I have mine connected:

Video 1 - S-Video

Video 5 - DVD Player w/component cables

Video 6 - Component Cables for HDTV material (this will be in 16:9 ratio

when there is HDTV broadcasted).

ANT - I've connected this imput w/a cable splitter because this is the

only way I've been able to use Twin View w/the cable box.

·
Registered
745 Posts
HDTV is 16x9 1080i and your set auto squeezes HD signals so there is no way to get rid of the black bars. You can't mannually turn off the squeeze in the newer sony sets. I suggest you just get used to them as this is the aspect ratio that HDTV is supposed to be viewed in.

You can downconvert the signal to 480 if your box does it and maybe view 4x3 if your box also has aspect control but it won't be HD 1080i anymore.

If you watch a lot of HD and DVD's and can't stand the black bars then maybe a 16x9 HD set is a better fit for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
cajieboy,

I will try the S-video connection to achieve full screen on non HD broadcasts.

As far as twin view goes, I am running the analog cable into the antenna input and the cable box into the auxillary input. We do not have to have a cable box to descramble most of the channels, which is nice.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I havent bought a new set in 10 years, back then it was "which cabinet looks better in the room" lol

When looking at the Sony everything looked squished , then I realized that I had the box set to 4:3, changed it to 16:9 and looks a lot better. Hard to get use to those bars tho.....With progress comes change....

Thanks for all the help on this board.....

Be looking for more "iquisitive" questions lol :)

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Your complaints regarding the small windowboxed image with black on all 4 sides is very common for those who made the mistake of buying a 4:3 digital HDTV set. The correct aspect ratio for HDTV is 16:9, so you should have bought a true 16:9 widescreen HDTV like the Sony 34XBR800. HDTV STBs output with the assumption you have a widescreen set, so of course its formatted for 16:9 - if you use 4:3 instead you will get those problems you have witnessed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So S-Video to say componant 2 would display 4:3 ? even if HD ?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Don,

Why do you thrive so much on this windowboxing problem yet contradict yourself when you say 16x9 is here and now and HDTV is 16x9.

The only reason there is a problem with windowboxing is because of 4x3 HDTV signals. Why would you be so concerned with this problem if HDTV is all 16x9?

Quote:
The correct aspect ratio for HDTV is 16:9
If this was 100% true then windowboxing wouldn't exist and the problem you just said was very common to 4x3 set's would be nonexistent as well. When ALL of tv becomes HD 16x9 the windowboxing issue won't need to be corrected. This problem only happens when the TV squeezes a 4x3 HD picture. 4x3 DVD's will be fine on a 4x3 set.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nick,

A common appoach is to use the S-Video input for your 4:3 viewing and the component or DVI input for HD viewing. You could use the component or DVI for all of your viewing, but you end up with a smaller 4:3 display size, much the same as you do with a native directview 16:9 set. Some prefer this image size while others like getting the full 4:3 display size. The HD content will be 16:9 and you can't stretch it to fill 4:3, nor is it recommended (just like stretching a DVD to fill a 4:3 space).

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Nick,

Another note of mention when viewing HDTV material w/your component inputs, there are times that my local affiliates of CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. crop their own HDTV broadcasts using GRAY BARS on the side! It's annoying as hell, and when I first got my TV and saw this happening I thought there was something wrong w/the TV until the Cable Co. told me the skinny. I mean, why broadcast HDTV and then crop the picture...idiotic immediately comes to mind!

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
They are doing it because they assume you have a real 16:9 HDTV set, not some old-fashioned 4:3 box! You guys just can't deal with the truth!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don hasn't a clue what the truth is. Just listen to pretty much everyone else here but him and you'll be on the right track.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Kadman is back to his typical personal attacks again. I on the other hand only attempt to pass on my extensive knowledge based on WIDESCREEN experience to newbies. Kadman only appears to care about attacking others, not helping them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just trying to help those who are new by not letting them fall victim to your lies. Your narrow-minded viewpoints have consistently proven to be worthless here. This post is a perfect example. Look at your reply to his message. He asked about help with a TV he already bought. Your reply simply tells him that you feel he bought the wrong TV. My reply tells him how to correct the situation given the TV he already bought. Now tell me, who is trying to help others and who is attacking? You continue to be a black spot on an otherwise excellent AV resource.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
But Kadman you are the real liar - don't accuse others! I have proof you agreed with someone's post that said the 16:9 set is the right way to go. You can't deny it - its available for anyone to read!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Please, point them to it. They will see what I really posted and what everyone (including the poster of the message) except for you understood. It will only help to show them what you are really all about. Again, please do post it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.