AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local store has one of these big boys in stock and a friend asked me if he should get one. It's impressive at 40" and a perfectly flat screen.

I went down to check it out and on first sight I thought the picture, over the air NTSC, looked awful. The worst of all the XBRs in the area. Fortunately I was left completely alone with the very nice and simple remote. There were more adjustments to be made than I have ever seen on a TV. After only two or three minutes I came up what I though was a perfect picture which easily exceeded the other smaller XBRs. Why don't these dealers calibrate these sets properly? I didn't see HDTV or DVD display, but imagine that it is wonderful.

The question though is, should anyone spend $3,500 on this set. While it does anamorphic and is HDTV ready and has no visible scan lines, it's still 4:3. My friend, he really does exist, hates the black area on anamorphic DVDs on a 4:3 set, yet he seems to prefer them to black lines on the side of a 4:3 picture showing on a wide screen TV.

I am in real quandry as to recommend this set. You can get a lot for $3,500 these days. If you believe digital and wide screen is not going to happen for 5+ years then I guess this is the ultimate TV.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
It is a very nice set. I considered one. I bought the 36" XBR because I didn't want the Sony stand. The 40" is so heavy, about 300+ lb's that stand options are very limited. If I could of had a custom stand built, or had, I might of bought the 40". I don't reget the 36" XBR 450 at all! There's always a bigger fish...but I'm happy with the one I caught. If My room was bigger, I might of...? 4/3 sets are best for the current broadcasts me thinks. I had a 34" 16 x 9 set for a week and returned it. I thougt the only thing it displayed well was DVDs. I don't like the stretching on smaller 16 x 9 sets. Your bud might not either. The 16 x 9 display area is impressive on the 40 incher too. I'd rather have that set than say the 40 or 42" Toshiba 16 x 9 sets. I like Sony's ergonomics very much...I've blah-blahed enough....best wishes!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The image on low quality signals will always suck to some degree on all the current "high end" sony tubes because of the drc and such. This is a great tv though. I also opted to get the 36 inch until a year from now when I will upgrade. More than likely I will get the 40 inch unless there is something better.

I didnt get the 40 inch this time for three big reasons.

1 wait for the price to come down

2 never buy the first run of a new model

3 wait until others have found all the tweaks and nuances of this set so that i can benefit from their knowledge.

on a side note, DO NOT TRY TO MOVE THIS YOURSELF. Even if the weight doesnt sound like much the tv is very hard to carry even with 4 people. There arent that great of handholds on it and the weight is unbalanced in the set. Pay the extra and have the store deliver it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.