AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that you have noticed that all Sony Wega's make a peculiar buzz/pop noise when you turn it off and on. I've been told that this isn't harmful, however, I am using the audio out from the T.V. to connect it to my receiver and whenever I turn it on all of my speakers (including the sub) intercept that feedback and create a huge burst. It's a disruptive pop that I'm concerned about, it may damage my speakers. What can I do to avoid this?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Borak

Welcome to AVSforum. My Sony 34xbr800 owner's manual says:

Quote:
TV makes "popping" sounds when turned on = This is a normal sound that results from the TV automatically degaussing each time it is turned on.
I don't know how to turn it off and don't think we want to. In addition to the degauss, I have something like this because when I listen to DVDs, I have to turn the volume up to about halfway. When I watch ReplayTV, my volume is way down (maybe 1/4 the way?). If I forget to turn down the TV after watching DVDs, the sound is REALLY "tweeter-busting" loud (ouch!!! :p). I think we are stuck with turning down the volume after watching so before I shut the TV off for the night I just turn the volume way down. I know this is not glamorous but it works. Let me know if you find a better solution. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick,

I really don't want to damage my equipment if I forget to turn down the volume. It's a concern that makes me want to consider a different brand. Unfortunately, if a Sony doesn't work with a receiver, I'll have to buy a different television. First, I'm going to try a high end audio cable and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
On my system with Sony KV-40XBR800 TV and Sony STR-DA4ES Receiver, I just make sure to turn on the TV BEFORE the receiver, then there's no chance of any problems from this popping. This receiver mutes the audio for about 5 seconds during turn on. I don't know if that's an option in your system configuration.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
This receiver mutes the audio for about 5 seconds during turn on. I don't know if that's an option in your system configuration.
That's an interesting idea, I'll check if I have that feature. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.