AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some discoloration on the edges of the screen of my 40" Sony XBR. I called the local sony tech service center and they said it was covered under warranty. They sent out a tech who tried to degauss the screen, but it didnt have any affect. He said the phosphors were damaged, and that it was covered under warranty. They ordered a new Picture tube and said they will come out to replace it once the tube arrives. They say due to the sets size they will replace it in house, bringing the tube with them once it arrives.

What do I have to watch out for? This is a pretty major operation, I assume since they are a warranty service place they can handle it, but you never know. Is there something I need to be careful to ask them to make sure they do? The discoloration is not real bad, should I just live with it, is replacing the tube on a 40" direct view set risky, or just a normal days work for a trained tech? I'm kind of nervous about having major surgery on the set, but don't want to live with the discoloration if I dont have to, especially since its covered.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Take the new replacement tube in a heartbeat! I've heard that the replacment tube for a 40XBR is almost half the cost of the TV. Sounds like you've got a bad one, and I'd kiss my lucky stars Sony's gonna replace it under warranty. When did you buy your TV, and from whom?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I would expect that a good factory-trained Sony service tech would know how to do this. He'll probably bring help, though, since that tube probably weighs 270 lbs.

Key things you should plan on and watch for:

* Be there when the tech does the work!

* Make sure he takes the time to carefully reconverge everything. It will take some time to adjust static/dynamic convergence and all of the geometry settings.

* See if he can accurately calibrate your video settings while he's adjusting everything

I wonder what they do with the bad tubes!?!

Post back after they've done the work and let us know how it goes. Take pictures if you can!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes please post results. I have this set and am now noticing a slight green glow on the bottom left of the screen.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll post the results. I called sony and told them the tech centers name, they said that they were authorized to replace picture tubes and that they do know how to do all the adjustments. Hopefully that's the case. It takes at least 2 weeks or so for the tube to come in they tell me, so it will be a while before they come out to do the repair

·
Registered
470 Posts
My 40XBR800 had a problem from the day I bought it back in December and a tube replacement was necessary. The surgery went off without a hitch and I'm a very happy camper. Matching the new tube up to the existing electronics resulted in a lot of geometry issues that needed to be tweaked. I sent the tech home and made the changes myself (I'm a bit picky) and all is now well. I'm very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What sort of geometry parameters did you adjust. I have gotten into the service menu on mine to move the axis to 1 to get rid of most of the red push, but I dont have much in the way of geometry adjustment gear, other than the avia dvd. I would rather a competent tech do it, I assume they will do the geometry adjustments if they install the tube, and you just sent them home early since you were comfortable doing it yourself.

P.S. they called me back today and scheduled to do the "operation" on the 21st of may....holding my breath till then..

·
Registered
470 Posts
I did mine with Avia. I needed VCEN to correct a center bow and a few other pincushion settings, etc. I also went over convergence, too. Again, I'm pretty picky but I can certainly understand if you didn't want to do it yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what are the convergence/pincushion screens on Avia called? Is it part of the advanced test pattern menu? Could you run down the list of screens you used in Avia to set things yourself, since I also have it I guess I could do the same thing, after the techs are done with whatever they do

·
Registered
470 Posts
There are several geometry test patterns in avia. The cross hatch and plus screens were the most helpful to me. I spent probably 2.5-3 hours tweaking in the service menu. This is all time I would have spent anyway because geometry and conversion from the factory aren't always the best.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which service menu parameters affect geometry? Are they kind of obvious, I do have the service manual but other than AXIS I havent changed anything, and I found most of the parameters descriptions lacking. Is it just a few items in the service menu that deal with geometry adjustments, and if so could you list them for me? Assuming the xbr800 and 700 have similar service menu items

·
Registered
470 Posts
I used the Excel spreadsheet from the 34XBR faq. That, together with a little experimentation, got me what I needed. Remember to write down current settings before making any changes and if you don't feel comfortable with it, let them change it. An alternatate aproach would be to let them do the initial tweaking and only make additional changes yourself if necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had same problem with XBR 700 3 times 3 different tv's sony is replacing it with XBR 800 it has more advanced features ,remember the 700 was first production model all bugs have not been worked out

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if the picture tube on the 40XBR800 is different from that of the 40XBR700, probably the same part. Hopefully once they replace it I won't have any problems, I have seen what appear to be good xbr700's so I dont think its a design defect, but I'll watch out for it

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the new picture tube was installed on this thing, it was a big hassle. And the new tube has discoloration on the edges, and the convergence could not be set properly or even close to properly. So now it's worse than before, although with different colors of discoloration on the edges. Thing is before convergence was pretty much correct, so this is WAY worse. I called Sony customer service and they were very responsive they said they will get back to me. They are going to give me a replacement set I would think, or at least test the next tube better somehow. I'm not sure, but it sounds like they are taking the matter seriously so hopefully it will work out in the end. For now the set is WAY worse than it ever was before..

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Thanks for keeping us up to date, and let's hope Sony will replace it w/the newer 800 model. Let us know if Sony does the right thing. Good Luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.