AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own one of these sets, be aware, when you buy one of the newly-affordable progressive scan DVD players, it won't work straight out of the box. At least, not at 480p. You could use composite or S-video, but that would defeat the purpose.

The Sony KW-34HD1 high definition input, when the set comes out of the box, works with 1080i only. I discovered this not from reading the user's manual (that would be cheating) but by trial and error. I plugged in my new Panasonic DVD-RP56U-K with component cables and got a blank screen.

Fortunately my nights of lurking on the internet paid off. I remembered a post by George Zachary on Keohi HDTV. He gives a simple service menu tweak that allows the HD input to sync to 480p. I followed his instructions and the setup now works like a charm. Go to http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...sony_tips.html

I plopped in The Fifth Element (Superbit) and played it on 480p and I can tell you, it's awful close to HD. Not quite there, if you're an absolute purist, but frankly the casual viewer would not be able to tell the difference! (At least not on a 34" screen.)

Really spectacular and certainly worth $229 to go to progressive scan.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.