AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a Good Guys last week and saw the new Sony HD2 TV for $3,999. Tried looking on the internet for this TV for specs. or prices elsewhere and can't find a thing but a press release from CES last year. Anyone know of where I can find any info. or is this TV the same as the 34XBR2?

Thanks...

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is the best price on a KD34xbr2 where ever in this great country I will buy it. Thank you America keep Freedom alive.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Actually, I think the KW-34HD2 was the original name early on in the design phase for the KD-34XBR2. I have heard some dealers refer to the XBR2 as the KW-34XBR2, or some offshoot of that. Nevertheless, to my knowledge, the KD-34XBR2 is the only currently available direct-view 16x9 HDTV from Sony. I have never heard of the KD-36HD2 mentioned in the Twice article. Although, I know Sony makes a 36' direct-view 16x9 HDTV in Europe (but it is not available here). Sony may eventually release a 36' 16x9 here, but I have not heard about it from any press release thus far. As far as pricing on the KD-34XBR2, I paid $3499 for mine before tax at Soundtrack. Soundtrack even had a deal going on for $75 off certain purchases, and they just applied that to the tax on the item (which really worked out great). I bought this unit on 24 Aug (before the official product rollout) and cleverly pitted three salesman against each other. Eventually one of them budged and got the set down to that price. Usually, though, the set is $3879 at Soundtrack on sale. I wish anyone the best of luck if they want to try and get it as cheap as I did. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

"Direct View HDTV- is there really any other alternative?"

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odd, the Crutchfield specs. show that it's 37" wide, but I measured one and it's most definitely 39" accross. I had to do this because my friend who is thinking of getting one only has just over 39" accross in his entertainment center and I needed to see if it will fit.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts

Quote:
I know Sony makes a 36' direct-view 16x9 HDTV in Europe (but it is not available here). Sony may eventually release a 36' 16x9 here,
36' in Europe or anywhere in the world is 34' in US. It is a FTC law that requires TV makers to list actual viewable size not the size of glass. Also any TV's in Europe have inferior tubes. This is due to a fact that HDTV tube has to have much higher pitch to be able to display much higher resolution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.