Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginner questions for when (hopefully) I get my Sony LCD:

(1) Does the set have PIP? For that matter, do most/any LCD's, DLP's, or Plasmas?

(2) What "extras" are a "must" when I first bring home the set? I have an 8 year old surge protector on my current ProScan, so I figure I'll spring for a new one for the Sony (Monster?). I also figure I'll want new (Monster) connections, though I don't think my new DVD will have the DVI link. I ordered a DVE setup DVD to help me with calibration, which sounds like lots of fun!

Anything else that comes across as a "must"?

(3) Speakers/Acoustics: Anybody think of using the Bose 3:2:1 system? I know it comes with a DVD which might be rendered redundant if I buy a quality set, maybe there's another way to go for under $1,000?

(4) Any recommendations on specialty stands for the set?

(5) Anything to absolutely avoid when setting up the set right out of the box? I'm thinking of all the initial wiring setups...the connections and hookups between the cable/satellite and outlets.

I'm beginning to think the time to research properly an RPTV, the DVD, and acoustics is going to be dwarfed by the time I spend actually getting them set up and working properly. Hopefully, I'm proved wrong. I've heard of people who pay experts to help them choose and install and setup and I'm beginning to wonder if that's the way to go as I am not 100% sure I can get up to speed by the time I want to move.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Too many questions and not enough research? :) That could be one reason for the resounding silence to your post so far. Anyway, here is a two cent pass on the answers. Search using keywords like "GWIII and PIP" for perhaps larger answers, analysis, and explanation.

1) The GWIIIs (WE and XBR) have "Picture and Picture". This is getting pretty common on wide screen sets. You essentially get two pictures next to each other. Only one (on the GWIIIs) can be HD. You can zoom up and down the relative size of each. I used this a couple of weekends ago so the kids could watch a show while I caught the end of the Packers game.

2) A good power line conditioner/surge protector works for me. Has saved my whole setup at least once. There are cheaper and better/comparable cables to Monster. This has been debated widely.

DVE is a bit hard to navigate and understand compared to Avia. Search for a thread that explains how to interpret it. It is somewhere on this forum.

3) A $1,000 audio system (IMHO) is a stop-gap until you can spend the money on a really good sound system. Better than the TV speakers though.

4) Stands depend on the model of set you are getting.

5) Don't drop the set ;). If it is an XBR, don't let the shippers carry it by the plexiglass screen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1:instead of a surge suppressor, use a ups made for computers, during a blackout it will allow you to shut down the TV for a normal lamp cool down cycle, thus probably saving your lamp. 2: also for the money, the stands are lousy, you can get a custom made real wood or metal stand for that price, and be proud of it. 3: as far as cable go, i have my dish 811 hd receiver connected via the component cables that came with it, and it looks great, better than the DVI (much better). 4: if you connect a DVD player, i found that 480I using the 3:2 pull down with the DRC turned all the way up was superior to using the DVDs's progressive scan

·
Registered
93 Posts
AS far as the Bose 3 2 1 goes, what a waste, if you want an all in one check out the Cambridge sound works all in one for about $300 less, much, much better sound.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, fellas. Once again, some nice vets helping out a newbie! I will be doing some additional analysis and research on these threads...my major misgiving is that once you find the answer to a question one has, you uncover 2 new ones which need exploring.

I will definitely be passing on the 3:2:1 only because paying for the DVD is obviousley a waste as I'll be buying that component separately. And yes, I realize $1,000 is stop-gap, but considering I used up -- or WILL be using up -- most of my chits in getting the OK for the TV and the extras, I can't be greedy with the sound system initially. I'm coming from a household where most of the TV's (27" being the largest) have only their own speakers, except my personal one which has a pair of cheapo ProScan's just for additional sound and volume not aesthetic accoustics.

So even a moderate accoustic setup will be a VAST improvement on what we've had previousley. Rome wasn't built in a day, right?!!

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
]i found that 480I using the 3:2 pull down with the DRC turned all the way up was superior to using the DVDs's progressive scan
Van, could you elaborate on this when/if you get the chance? Perhaps the Sony Manual will explain it, but I'm wondering why 480i would be better than progessive (480p)?

If there's a thread on this, don't bother to respond, I'll look for it later. But this definitely piqued my interest and curiosity

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey, i really don't know why, just foolin around with it, and to me and any one else who has looked at it would agree. i have seen other threads on this, and yes, it seems so. My guess would be that the the 3:2 gives you a film frame speed, and the DRC then up converts it to progressive, all i know is that the proof is in the pudding. P.S. i have tried this with all of my dvd players, so it is not that particular player. and again GET A UPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.