AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the money that Sony has been throwing around to promote the Blu-Ray format, how about spending a little cash to subsidise the gaming studios costs to make use of the cell processors full potential and code the games to take advantage of it?

I think if they support a few high profile future releases to outperform versions on the other consoles it could be a big boost to getting the Playstation 3 back on track with the gaming consumers and establish themselves as the superior gaming console.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Burnout, COD4, Oblivion, UT3 were assisted by SONY team. Burnout Paradise for sure!

Think about it... Mostly the internal studios get this treatment, but third party do too...

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
With all the time it took you to make that post, how about spending some time reading PlayStation sites and keeping up with what's going on? It's well known Sony is taking code from Naughty Dog and other first parties and sharing them with 3rd parties as well as paying for developers to write compilers and other tools which optimize for Cell. There was a good article on a tool named Sieve in Edge maybe 4 or 5 months ago.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/12919199

With all the money that Sony has been throwing around to promote the Blu-Ray format, how about spending a little cash to subsidise the gaming studios costs to make use of the cell processors full potential and code the games to take advantage of it?

I think if they support a few high profile future releases to outperform versions on the other consoles it could be a big boost to getting the Playstation 3 back on track with the gaming consumers and establish themselves as the superior gaming console.

Don't worry, things are on track.

And, as I have said for months, when the time comes, there won't be enough crow to go around.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt /forum/post/12919686

Don't worry, things are on track.

And, as I have said for months, when the time comes, there won't be enough crow to go around.

What does that mean?

You can't seriously be suggesting a shortage of PS3's...

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/12919199

how about spending a little cash to subsidise the gaming studios costs to make use of the cell processors full potential and code the games to take advantage of it?

What makes you think games aren't taking advantage of it???

And note Sony DID cut the price of development kits.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/12919777

What does that mean?

You can't seriously be suggesting a shortage of PS3's...

No, I think he means there'll be a lot of crow to eat; in other words, there will be a lot of people who were wrong about the PS3.

CD

·
Registered
814 Posts
don't eat me guys!

But what about the RSX,(wich in comparison is an Nvidia 7800GTX) If you have a very powerfull CPU like the Cell but are "limited" by the GPU chipset(IMO) in this case: 24 shader pipelines and 256mb of Video memory. My question is how about shaders,HDR,AA, and high ress. textures. I'm no developer or eng.(i'm just curious) don't get me wrong I own and luv my PS3 and have high hopes for killzone 2.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/12920619

No, I think he means there'll be a lot of crow to eat; in other words, there will be a lot of people who were wrong about the PS3.

CD

Actually, it sounded more like a shot at "other" consoles that the PS3 was supposed to be oh so much more superior than....and hasn't delivered yet...but will soon. If it's true (as reported elsewheres) we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as capability goes, PS3 has a VERY rosy future indeed!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/12919580

With all the time it took you to make that post, how about spending some time reading PlayStation sites and keeping up with what's going on? It's well known Sony is taking code from Naughty Dog and other first parties and sharing them with 3rd parties as well as paying for developers to write compilers and other tools which optimize for Cell. There was a good article on a tool named Sieve in Edge maybe 4 or 5 months ago.

Well, I like to see a finished product. Not rumors of something in process that we may never even see. Game developers are notorius for spending time on features and promises that never arrive in the finished product. Sorry I am just a casual gamer and I don't hang out at all the gaming sites. If i missed something I apologize. If Burnout Paradise offers some improvements as Smokey mentioned I will have to definately take a look at it compared to the 360 version but from the Burnout thread, the only thing I see mentioned is that the PS3 version actually lacks the ability to listen to your own tunes as a soundtrack.

Edited: To be fair, I did find the review -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt from IGN.com Review /forum/post/0

Burnout Paradise is an amazing technical feat and looks great on both systems. The absence of loading screens, the rock solid framerate, the detail on car models, and the sheer speed at which everything is rendered is a stunning achievement. That being said, there are some small but noticeable differences that make the PS3 the clear choice in this category. You'll notice that while colors seem a little more subdued on the PS3 (we were playing with identical screen brightness settings), there is generally a bit more detail in the environments, especially in town with lots of objects being rendered in a comparatively small area.

Likewise, the draw distance is a little cleaner and more distinct in the PS3 version. The 360 version also has a fair amount of pop-in, especially with distant objects. I also found cars in traffic would sometimes add-in a last layer of texture detail as I got closer to them in the 360 version. There's some pop-in in the PS3 version too, but generally speaking, it's much less noticeable, restricted to a tree or some bushes in the background. The PS3 had the slight edge in lighting effects in as well, with some interesting refraction or glint happening at almost all times on your car model, while the 360's lighting seems a little less pronounced.

While both versions of the game run at rock solid framerates, it did seem like the PS3's was a little bit faster, running silky smooth at high speeds. The 360 version is an admirable production but the framerate does seem slightly slower than the PS3's, with an occasional hitch at high speeds. This isn't something to be too concerned about as both version look and feel great at top speed, and most people probably won't ever see a difference unless switching back and forth on an HD monitor. Also, some people may actually prefer the overall look of the 360 version because colors seem to pop a little more brightly from the screen, but otherwise, the game is just a bit more detailed, smoother, and better lit on the PS3. Both versions really do look great, but the edge has to go to the PS3 here.

From a layman's point of view however, I was expecting to see some PS3 versions of some games starting to kick the crap out of the 360 version by now and I just haven't seen it happen, that's all. If it's in the works and my comments are premature, that is cool. Let me know when the first title comes along that is a must buy for the PS3 over the 360 for people who enjoy both systems.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally Posted by IGN

Graphics

Burnout Paradise is an amazing technical feat and looks great on both systems. The absence of loading screens, the rock solid framerate, the detail on car models, and the sheer speed at which everything is rendered is a stunning achievement. That being said, there are some small but noticeable differences that make the PS3 the clear choice in this category. You'll notice that while colors seem a little more subdued on the PS3 (we were playing with identical screen brightness settings), there is generally a bit more detail in the environments, especially in town with lots of objects being rendered in a comparatively small area.

Likewise, the draw distance is a little cleaner and more distinct in the PS3 version. The 360 version also has a fair amount of pop-in, especially with distant objects. I also found cars in traffic would sometimes add-in a last layer of texture detail as I got closer to them in the 360 version. There's some pop-in in the PS3 version too, but generally speaking, it's much less noticeable, restricted to a tree or some bushes in the background. The PS3 had the slight edge in lighting effects in as well, with some interesting refraction or glint happening at almost all times on your car model, while the 360's lighting seems a little less pronounced.

While both versions of the game run at rock solid framerates, it did seem like the PS3's was a little bit faster, running silky smooth at high speeds. The 360 version is an admirable production but the framerate does seem slightly slower than the PS3's, with an occasional hitch at high speeds. This isn't something to be too concerned about as both version look and feel great at top speed, and most people probably won't ever see a difference unless switching back and forth on an HD monitor. Also, some people may actually prefer the overall look of the 360 version because colors seem to pop a little more brightly from the screen, but otherwise, the game is just a bit more detailed, smoother, and better lit on the PS3. Both versions really do look great, but the edge has to go to the PS3 here.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/12921388

Let me know when the first title comes along that is a must buy for the PS3 over the 360 for people who enjoy both systems.

That's the wrong way to look at it. I have my doubts that any developer that decides to make a multi-platform game is going to put extra effort into the PS3 version to take advantage of whatever capability it might have. There's just no money in it.

The only games that I expect to really be wowed by, are the PS3 exclusives. Uncharted and Heavenly Sword have already shown they're on the right track.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket /forum/post/12921687

That's the wrong way to look at it. I have my doubts that any developer that decides to make a multi-platform game is going to put extra effort into the PS3 version to take advantage of whatever capability it might have. There's just no money in it.

The only games that I expect to really be wowed by, are the PS3 exclusives. Uncharted and Heavenly Sword have already shown they're on the right track.

Thats the way I have looked at it since day one. The exclusives are the only thing that interest me since I have a 360.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/12920619

CD

Yes.

A lot of people spent hours bashing the PS3, calling it all sorts of things and swearing it would spell the doom of Sony.

Chiefly, a lot of people claimed Sony only had potential to talk about, that Blu-ray was a mistake, that HDMI was a mistake, that games would cost $100 a piece, that PSN would never allow online multiplayer games to the extent of Live, that PS3 would never be able to handle rich textures, that PS3's architecture would never be taped, etc.

A lot of publishers quickly concluded they would be able to go through this generation with no need to spend too much time on a soon-to-be-failing system.

Things are turning around and there won't be enough crow for everyone to eat.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I dont see why everyone thought that they would be able to tell a huge difference between ps3 and 360 games in the first place, especially this early into the cycle.

Has there ever been a console generation in which one console was vastly superior to the others? Best I can come up with is playstation vs N64 and it wasnt too far separated from each other.

·
Registered
491 Posts
n64 had much better graphics, just no 3rd part developers to take advantage of their hardware. this is when nintendo pretty much exiled everyone.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Not necessarily related to Cell, but I wonder if a multi-platform game will ever take advantage of the PS3 ability to deliver 7.1 lossless audio to us hometheater finatics. The 360 can't do it, so I assume that it will never happen with a multi-platform title.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight /forum/post/12920818

Uncharted only uses 30% of the CELL.

Link?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts