AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen the Sony LX900? This is the TV im considering of getting for my 3D setup, once its out. But there isnt a whole lot of info on it sense its slated for summer. Thoughts on this beast?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lmao. wow. hahaha. thanks for that. I gotta go to a Sony store (yay for living in LA and having choices) and see this guy.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/18318304

Not quite: Those are NOT production models!

Gee Dave - Sony says that is the model number in their release:

Quote:
The BRAVIA XBR-52LX900, which is currently on display at Sony Style, offers integrated 3D functionality with Sony's 3D active shutter glasses and built-in 3D transmitter
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/56605.html

I prefer to believe Sony versus a store rep.

And as far as Sony Style store reps - one person asked them what the glasses worked with (com) and he was told RF. It's IR.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18318340

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock

Not quite: Those are NOT production models!

Gee Dave - Sony says that is the model number in their release:

Quote:
The BRAVIA XBR-52LX900, which is currently on display at Sony Style, offers integrated 3D functionality with Sony's 3D active shutter glasses and built-in 3D transmitter
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/56605.html

I prefer to believe Sony versus a store rep.

Gee Lee, if you tallk to the guy who hung the set on the wall in the Sony store and he tells you that the serial number was written on a sticky label - and that there is no Model Number on that label - you know it was not a production model!

Also, if it was a PRODUCTION model - THEN SONY would HAVE THEM IN "PRODUCTION" and customers would not have to wait till summer to purchase them.

There is a difference between:
  • Mock-ups
  • Engineering Breadboards
  • Prototypes
  • Engineering Models
  • Pre-production models
  • Production models

Lee, you apparently believe any marketing (and other) BS that is posted on the Internet.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/18320776

Gee Lee, if you tallk to the guy who hung the set on the wall in the Sony store and he tells you that the serial number was written on a sticky label - and that there is no Model Number on that label - you know it was not a production model!

Also, if it was a PRODUCTION model - THEN SONY would HAVE THEM IN "PRODUCTION" and customers would not have to wait till summer to purchase them.

There is a difference between:
  • Mock-ups
  • Engineering Breadboards
  • Prototypes
  • Engineering Models
  • Pre-production models
  • Production models

Lee, you apparently believe any marketing (and other) BS that is posted on the Internet.

Well Dave - I was not discussing prototype, preproduction, whatever. I was listing the MODEL NUMBER of the 3DTV that Sony installed in their 42 Sony Style stores which according to the press release is . . .

BRAVIA XBR-52LX900

Quote:
The BRAVIA XBR-52LX900, which is currently on display at Sony Style, offers integrated 3D functionality with Sony’s 3D active shutter glasses and built-in 3D transmitter, while the HX900 and HX800-series are 3D capable using Sony 3D active shutter glasses and 3D transmitter (each sold separately).

·
Banned
341 Posts
 http://www.**************.com/showth...l-dimming)-LCD

``Unlike the new Sony LX900 series which are LED side lit, the Sony HX900 series feature Intelligent Dynamic LED backlight formed from a full array of LEDs. This can provide even better contrasts as it can dim the backlight by area, providing perfect blacks in some areas, but bright vivid colors in other areas at the same time.``

SO does that mean the one step down model has local dimming and

the top of the line does not????? That would mean it would be better to get the hx and buy the transmitter/glasses seperate??

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDLICH /forum/post/18352568

http://www.**************.com/showth...l-dimming)-LCD

``Unlike the new Sony LX900 series which are LED side lit, the Sony HX900 series feature Intelligent Dynamic LED backlight formed from a full array of LEDs. This can provide even better contrasts as it can dim the backlight by area, providing perfect blacks in some areas, but bright vivid colors in other areas at the same time.``

SO does that mean the one step down model has local dimming and

the top of the line does not????? That would mean it would be better to get the hx and buy the transmitter/glasses seperate??

Just from the specs and reviews alone - edge lit versus local dimming - it does sound like the right thing to do, assumming LD does perform as it is supposed to.

Sony is going to charge, I believe, $133 per pair of glasses and $55 for the emitter.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Full LED local diming using a very large array of local LCD dimming cells is much better then EdgeLit Local dimming which use a small nunber of dimming cells which in turne is better then plain Edge lit backlighing which is designed to create the same level of backlighting for the entire panel.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDLICH /forum/post/18353153

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/0...acklit-lcd-tv/

WHY would sony not put local dimming in the lx version which costs more,is there something I am missing???? Some major feature missing on the hx???

Here is a breakdown of each of the different series:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62157

The XBR LX900:

2 pair of active shutter glasses and emitter included

WiFi Integrated

Available in 40" and 60"

The XBR HX900:

No glasses or emitter included

No Wi Fi adapter included

Not available in 40" or 60"

IMO - the XBR HX900 is their best 2D HDTV that is 3D ready. Not interested in 3D? This is the set you buy.

If you are looking for their "best" 3DTV and don't want the 60" size, then you buy the HX900 and build it yourself by purchasing the glasses and emitter - about $320. No idea on the WiFi adapter's cost.

·
Banned
341 Posts
NOW I am looking at the HX800 it sells the 55incher for less then the hx900 52incher the only thing missing is the OptiContrast panel,is that worth the xtra dough?

·
Registered
289 Posts
If anyone finds size specs on these TVs (Height/Width) please post a link...I have an existing cabinet and am hoping I can squeeze one of the 52" sets into it.

I did find this site which has a bit of info (from CES I believe):
http://www.3d-tvbuyingguide.com/sony...sony-3dtv.html

From the HX900 review: "the premium picture TV for Sony in 2010" - it supposedly has the best blacks and overall picture but with fewer bells and whistles than the LX line.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem /forum/post/18358306

If anyone finds size specs on these TVs (Height/Width) please post a link...I have an existing cabinet and am hoping I can squeeze one of the 52" sets into it.

I did find this site which has a bit of info (from CES I believe):
http://www.3d-tvbuyingguide.com/sony...sony-3dtv.html

From the HX900 review: "the premium picture TV for Sony in 2010" - it supposedly has the best blacks and overall picture but with fewer bells and whistles than the LX line.

They haven't posted any of the specs on the LX and HX 3DTVs yet. All they say is "coming this summer" which AFAIK is June.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Sony LX9000 or 900 whichever it is now called, the only one in the country, has been on demonstration since April 12th here in Sydney.

Here a copy of the review that was posted yesterday of general impressions of the TV and the Demonstration.

The demo lighting conditions at the Sony store were in a very brightly lit room, with white walls and reflected sunlight coming in down one side.

THE GLASSES

Sony's polarized/LCD shutter glasses didn't seem to have as much light loss as has been reported, I kept slipping them on/off and looking at the screen at the demos start to check this and light loss was minimal.

They did give a slight bronze colour cast to the picture, [I know you could fix this by adding more Blue/magenta in the TV's settings to get everything back to 6500k ] but unless you a stickler for truly correct colour it doesn't impede you enjoyment, it just makes the TV's whites look as yellow as a slightly worn CRT display if left as is.

There might be a auto colour correct when the 3D glasses are worn that might of come into operation later in the demonstration, but since I didn't remove my glasses again till the demonstration had finished, and no mention of this was made, I couldn't tell you if this feature exists unfortunately.

They seemed rather heavy in your hand [guessing about 60g] but felt fine once worn, even if you have to wear them over the top of specs like me, they are the wrap around type, so light from anywhere other than pretty much straight ahead is filtered out.

Unlike some other manufactures 3D TV specs I've tried [They are ALL different and not interchangeable to use with one another's screens by the way] the Sony 3D specs do not suffer the starburst effect if you suddenly move your head and look into a lamp or other point of light etc.

I'm not so sure if perspiration/fog build up if worn in a hot room might be a problem as I didn't have them on long enough, but I have a niggling feeling it might depending where in Aus you live and your state of air con.

Reported battery life is 100 hours [small round batteries], and they get turned off by the screen if no signal is sent to them after a certain time period.

They demonstration pair were not the rechargeable type.

All in all very impressive.

I won't bother describing the look of the actual TV casing etc as if you've seen one LCD you've pretty much seen them all.

PICTURE QUALITY 2D.

Top of the line performance here, everything sharp with relatively no nasty edge enchantment effects [I have no idea of the settings used so this observation is a rather moot point], nice deep black for a LCD considering the lighting conditions.

PICTURE QUALITY 3D

OK,this is where things get tricky.

As far as I know,when this TV was first shown to the public there was no mention of 2D to 3D processing,AFAIK only Toshiba had shown this technology at CES 2010.

I've since looked post demonstration, and I can not find any mention of this TV having it at any Sony website.

But regardless of what has/hasn't been reported, it NOW DOES have 2D to 3D processing, but truth be told Sony don't seem very forthcoming about it, we were only shown it because I asked about it, assuming it had it after reading about the Samsung recently getting this upgrade., curious.

Anyway,the demonstrator was very specific in saying that the best 3D playback will come from 3D Bluray, he kept mentioning this on numerous occasions, probably to hammer in the fact that we were NOT watching a 3D Bluray source.

All video, both 2D & 3D was sourced from a PS3 for the demo.

We were treated first to a trio of selected demos, or portions of, upcoming 3D versions of PS3 games.

I should mention here about viewing stationary images ie PS3's XMB, text/menus, Playstation store icons etc on a 3D screen , both with and without 3D glasses.

Basically these can be blurred/ double vision depending on 3 things, if you are wear the glasses or not, if the source is 3D or not or if you have 2D to 3D processing switched in or not, any of the wrong combination and it's wrong basically.

I'm sure it will all get sorted when everything is on the same page , but atm it seems rather complex but probably has a very simple fix.

Early days.

Back to the 3D games

Motostorm 3D was started in 2D ,for those who hadn't seen/played it, then switched to 3D.

This 3D gaming is going to take off like a rocket, thank God 12 year olds don't have credit cards.

It was a really fun experience watching the opposing cars suddenly spring to life in 3D, the trees and rocks become more realistic and more threatening obstacles , jumps had real air and space around and beneath them......I likey.

It was at this point I decided to test something out, and that was to move seats while watching the screen, OH OH.

Now I'm not sure on the technology behind the Screen sending signals to the specs and what exactly is going on in that Dept.

But the 3D effect became jumbled between 2D & 3D, for about a second, then came back, but it also took me time to adjust to 3D visually again , but not as long as it would of taken to adjust originally.

I'm thinking the shutters in the glasses are controlled by the distance detected by the sensors in the screen, something like that ?

Anyway, if you make too large a movement they can go out of sync with each other for a moment.

Just though I'd tell you.

Next we were shown Wipeout HD 3D

I was in heaven...drool

What can I say, just brilliant , way better than Motostorm.

If you own a PS3 this is the game to get if you find a 3D TV in your lounge room.

Then a look at Grand Turismo 3D,not so impressive OK,NEXT!

AQUARIUM 3D - this was not a game it was a 3D HD demo

Oh yeah, this was made to dazzle , did a pretty good job of it too , with schools of fish.. and what's... that.... WTF!

A bloody great whale shark comes swimming out of the screen till it's nose is nearly right up against yours, then it quickly flicks off to your left.

W.O.W is all I can say about that.

So the demo is coming to an end.

We got a little Sony spiel, then we were asked if we had any questions.

To cut it short, I asked about the 2D to 3D processing that can be done by this TV as it hadn't been either mentioned or shown .

So this is when the demonstrator found a short film clip and played it first in 2D then switched the processing in for 3D conversion.

Well it did look more 3D than 2D , but it wasn't good 3D.

It seemed like the TV was having it's circuitry stretched to the max by doing the processing needed.

Also the screens 3D refresh rate seemed to drop , there was also a weird effect to the 3D version compared to the 2D version, it somehow seemed to shorten the aspect ratio by cutting a small slice of the center of the screen out [After some research I've since found this is the processing creating a slightly off interception of the two 3D images]

To get a rough sense of what this was like, look through a pair of binoculars that are focused but are slightly too far apart.

Anyway, I can only report what I saw.

No technical details/spec's were given and neither was a price.

Sony wanted us to register interest by giving email address so they could contact us with a "DEAL" around June/July

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ghosting in what?

There is so much 3D processing going on between the sources and the screen, and depending on what 3D mode is being used, be it 3D bluray/ 3D game or 2D to 3D processing, that even if there was any ghosting [which I didn't notice by the way] you would be hard pressed to know what exactly was causing it, and if it could be remedied, unless you have had a long term experience with the 3D technology.

The software that is processing all this 3D stuff is being updated incredibly fast, and not just with incremental refinements , these updates are adding whole new picture adjustable parameters for the 3D aspects.

So I expect the impression you might have initially of a particular TV might change drastically if you were to go back and look at it again in 2 months time .

I'm in the process of comparing as many brands of 3D tv as possible atm.

Panasonic had their debut showing of their 3D sets in Australia last night .

I'd like to view them with something other than AVATAR first to form any sort of opinion , as I think there is an unfair advantage for Panasonic who have basically optimized their TV's to show only this movie , and it 3D Xbox game version as a demo.

Samsung 3D sets are being demo'd in Aus with a 3D Bluray loop of a Sprint race and Soccer match.

It's hard to form an opinion of any of these 3D TV's atm, as the demonstrations are so controlled and limited that true comparisons won't be available till you can take your own test disc in and ask to view it .

The closest you "might" get to a level comparison before that happens, might be if stores that are carrying these set's all start showing the 3D telecasted games of the FIFA World Cup.

But seeing that this event is being sponsored by Sony the other brands might veto that happening.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts