Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

Both Sony & Mitsubishi publicly claim support for IEEE1394 Firewire. This is a GREAT milestone! FINALY we are agreeing on a industry standard digital Transport! But Sony calls it "IEEE1394 i.link" and Mitsubishi "IEEE1394 HAVi".

Question is, what is i.link? I know what HAVi is, and it sounds AWESOME ( http://www.havi.org ). But will i.link be compatible with HAVi, or am I missing the whole idea?

HAVi looks extremely promising. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LOL,

I think A/V Hardware is worse than computers as far as getting obsolete. No sooner had I upgraded to a DD/DTS 5.1 receiver did they introduce DD/DTS 6.1. How much more could that one extra rear really add to my current experience? There is always something around the corner, But then again, getting new equipment is sort of half the fun isn’t it.

I would LOVE it if HAVi were actually accepted. I would have no problem replacing my stuff (Over a period of time) if it all could communicate and share information without a rats nest of interconnects. If everything had a single interface, opposed to 5 remotes, or a learning remote with a bunch of Macros that only work half the time (Basically because most equipment lacks a good set of discrete codes). That would rock.

My main push for HAVi is that my wife and/or friends could (maybe) finally use the system without so much confusion. Face it, it's very difficult to integrate a TV/VCR/DVD/Receiver/CD/ETC without introducing a level of confusion that can only be understood by the designer. Thank goodness for learning/macro remotes, or my peers would be totally lost.

·
Registered
780 Posts
iLink is just another name for IEEE1394, as is FireWire. HAVi is a networking standard for data interchange between home audio devices that uses 1394 as a transport. So, SONY may well be IEEE1394 iLink HAVi

HAVi, if implemented precisely to the standard, has the potential for devices of different brands to connect together and interoperate sending Audio, Video and control information over the FireWire network. Of course, to take advantage of it, we need to replace every component in our systems (again!) with 1394/HAVi compliant devices.

Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.