AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find a more appropriate forum as this is for my CRT computer monitor that will play a part in my theater. Its not quite on topic but really only in this forum are there people who spend a lot of time tweeking CRTs. I would take it to a service place. There used to be plenty charging 50 to 70 dollar flat fee to fix computer monitor but I swear every one from the shores of Santa Monica to Pasadena has gone out of business. I have a Sony Multiscan E3500 21 inch monitor and its a fantastic monitor. I am getting a great picture but either through age or misadjustment, I have the brightess pegged at 1. I think its supposed to be at thirty or so normally when you have good blacks.

I have no where to move and would like to up the set point for the brightness so I can go darker. Running Adobe Gamma I can't quite get that center box as dark a gray as possible, but not black. I'd like to be able to get it black and back off a bit if you take my meaning.

Sorry if this is the wrong place. If you want to redirect me I am ok with that.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Dissasemble the monitor and on the HV trafo there should be two pots, one for gain and one for focus. Try to turn the gain down. But this is just bypassing the problem. I am not sure it will help. Be carefull. I once touched just a heatsink of some transistor and got zapped. I think these two pots should be reachable just after putting the plastic cover away. It is easy. You do not have to go deeper and closer to dangerous voltage.

You can manage to buy second monitor of the same type for cheap, and if it will have shot tube (low brightness and focus) put in the tube from your old monitor. While swapping tubes it is good to have both monitors on some soft surface (bed) faces fown. It might be easier to swap good electronics from the second monitor to old.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan
Dissasemble the monitor and on the HV trafo there should be two pots, one for gain and one for focus. Try to turn the gain down. But this is just bypassing the problem. I am not sure it will help. Be carefull. I once touched just a heatsink of some transistor and got zapped. I think these two pots should be reachable just after putting the plastic cover away. It is easy. You do not have to go deeper and closer to dangerous voltage.

You can manage to buy second monitor of the same type for cheap, and if it will have shot tube (low brightness and focus) put in the tube from your old monitor. While swapping tubes it is good to have both monitors on some soft surface (bed) faces fown. It might be easier to swap good electronics from the second monitor to old.

Thanks Stepan. Of the people here I didn't quite expect it from you.

Well. I hope you get a projector soon. :)

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Secret hint: Want an even BETTER monitor?

Then get yourself a surplus Sun Microsystems 21" Sony made monitor, the GDM500PS.

It has both the Sun input (13W3) and a VGA input.

It's a FANTASTIC monitor. I have two of them and neither one cost me a dime. They were free.

I can now run my desktop at QXGA, that is 2048x1536.

I've never seen a better picture out of any direct view monitor of any type.

I'm looking for a GDM900 or the Sun or SGI variant. Going to a 24" 16x9 widescreen monitor would be the ultimate. Or better yet, TWO of them.

CJ

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Secret hint: Want an even BETTER monitor?

Then get yourself a surplus Sun Microsystems 21" Sony made monitor, the GDM500PS.

It has both the Sun input (13W3) and a VGA input.

It's a FANTASTIC monitor. I have two of them and neither one cost me a dime. They were free.

I can now run my desktop at QXGA, that is 2048x1536.

I've never seen a better picture out of any direct view monitor of any type.

I'm looking for a GDM900 or the Sun or SGI variant. Going to a 24" 16x9 widescreen monitor would be the ultimate. Or better yet, TWO of them.

CJ
Gah sounds great. Where can I pick up these free monitors! :) :p

I think we used Sun monitors on the Discrete Flame Effects generator system when I did a six month stint as a post production editor. I probably took them for granted as we were using source material in a semi darkened room with top end equipment. You just kind of expect things to look good.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow
Of the people here I didn't quite expect it from you.
Why not???

You are frightening me! :D

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Got any electronic or computer surplus yards anywhere near you?

It's only a matter of time before you find such monitors (and computers) there if you just

visit on a regular basis and look around.

I got these two 21" high end monitors for free because they couldn't sell them.

People want their cute, thin, flat LCD monitors these days, and the compelling superiority

of the picture of this monitor isn't always enough to get them to change their minds.

CJ

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Got any electronic or computer surplus yards anywhere near you?

It's only a matter of time before you find such monitors (and computers) there if you just

visit on a regular basis and look around.

I got these two 21" high end monitors for free because they couldn't sell them.

People want their cute, thin, flat LCD monitors these days, and the compelling superiority

of the picture of this monitor isn't always enough to get them to change their minds.

CJ

Its funny, after I did a search for that model number on the web and indeed there were quite a number of people selling the monitor surplus, usually along with a bunch of other stuff. If I should ever need one. And that day may be coming soon as I have to start thinking about a separate PC for my theater room now, this tip could prove outstanding.

Just on a whim I cranked my Sony monitor up to that high a resolution. The monitor can hack but solitaire is a little tiny. :) The web doesn't feel quite ready for this futuristic resolution but its workable if I ctrl + the font size. Other stuff stays too small so I am heading back to less dizzying clarity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.