AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of the current model DLP RPTVs (120hz 1080p) do something comparable to SONY MotionFlow or Samsung AMP? Samsung's website doesn't mention AMP on their DLP sets....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, only for the new $4k LaserVue Mitsubishi model. Looks like their current crop of sub $2000 DLP rear projection units can not do this. Sadly I think I found a reason to avoid DLP.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 /forum/post/15447388

Unfortunately, only for the new $4k LaserVue Mitsubishi model. Looks like their current crop of sub $2000 DLP rear projection units can not do this. Sadly I think I found a reason to avoid DLP.

4K? I thought is was 7K.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The current Mitsubishi and Samsung RP-DLP sets do 120hz, but that's not what I'm looking for... I'm looking for a feature comparable to SONY's MotionFlow or Samsung's AMP (Auto Motion Plus) found on their higher-end LCD models. My understanding is 120hz is a prerequisite for the set to be able to produce this effect, but not all 120hz televisions have this. It's one of the features that sets apart Samsung's 500 series LCDs from their 700+ series (cost difference is about $1000 for these sets). SONY's counterpart MotionFlow is being offered on most of their LCDs.

This is an effect that makes film look like video which I don't care for much, but it makes live HD video look absolutely stunning. SONY seems to insist on having it set to ON on their retail display units. You will certainly see it if you to a SONY Style store.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I just realized that I had the wrong link for the Mitusubishi diamond model with theri "Smooth 120Hz" feature whch corresponds to the Sony "Motion Flow" or Samsungs AMP on their LCD units.

Here is the correct link:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/WD65833

Afaik all 120Hz sets are capable of smooth motion processing with 60Hz sources otherwise they would be doing nothing beneficial. However very few of the current 120Hz models will instead do 5:5 pulldown when receiving 1080p/24 content to eliminate judder

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! You're right this (Smooth 120hz) is a feature found on the Diamond series RP-DLPs. The WD-65833 has it, the WD-65733 does not. Unfortunately none of the major retailers carry the Diamond series, they carry the 700 series RP-DLPs.

Looks like I have to hunt down a Mitsubishi Diamond dealer. Anyone have any experience with the WD-65733? How does it compare to the LED-DLP based Samys?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.