AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Has anyone run an actual Leo Bodnar lag tester on this? I'd like to see some hard data. Maybe a review?

Also, the lag when it's used wirelessly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doesn't turn on neither charges the battery =(

Hi, Guys

I have a problem with my MP-CL1, i just took it from the box and when i tried to turned it on the both lights power and battery got on (power got white solid light and battery got orange solid light) and it never turned off... it is been three days already and i can't turn on the projector pressing the power button.
There is any way to solve this problem?
There is any way to hard reset the projector?
I tried most of the troubleshooting from the booklet and the troubleshotting from the Sony Support website.

Please, guys i need a help!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi, Guys

I have a problem with my MP-CL1, i just took it from the box and when i tried to turned it on the both lights power and battery got on (power got white solid light and battery got orange solid light) and it never turned off... it is been three days already and i can't turn on the projector pressing the power button.
There is any way to solve this problem?
There is any way to hard reset the projector?
I tried most of the troubleshooting from the booklet and the troubleshotting from the Sony Support website.

Please, guys i need a help!
What happens when you plug it in for charging?
Try asking at Sony's support forum:
http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater/ct-p/home-theater-systems#

·
Registered
374 Posts
MP-CL1 Impressions

Finally managed to get my hands on one of these. Seems like Sony is not going to release it in Canada. I ended up shipping it to a relative in the States who brought it to me here.

I am using it hooked up to my PC(GTX 570) via HDMI. Had some trouble getting full RGB to display (dark grey shades were being crushed), but that seemed to be a NVIDIA driver issue. This page was helpful sorting it out.

First off, an issue I have noticed: there is a slight stutter noticeable during constant fast motion for example in this motion test:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0
I see a regular mild stutter in the scrolling every second or so. Can another owner confirm if this happens on their unit?

Here are my impressions. I'm comparing it in many aspects to my main display, a 46" NEC E462 LCD:

-Very nice quality build. Slick minimalistic design. Amber LED for charging, White LED when operating, neither overly bright.

-The little stand is kind of pointless when using a wired connection since the weight of the cable will tip the projector in most cases.

- 15-20 seconds from power-on to display - a bit long. Menu is well designed, navigation is quick and responsive. You must select the input on each startup. For HDMI, just tap the enter button 3 times. Having a bright blue "no signal" screen seems like a bad idea, I think it will shorten the blue laser life unnecessarily.

- The image is nowhere near as pinkish as it looks in photos - this was my main concern. Dark blues are noticeably purplish though. Dark greys are obviously composed of red and green, the distribution of which shimmers and morphs as the on-screen content changes. There is some mild posterization with darker shades.

- White balance seems very neutral, somewhat cool compared to calibration standards.

- With a 46" image, brightness is about equal to my 46" LCD set at minimal backlight. More than bright enough for film watching.

- Speckle is noticeable, but only distracting on white/bright fields. It varies depending on the projection surface. More speckle on glossier surfaces, for instance, white melamine vs primer painted wall.

- As others have noted, there is a faint grey pixel-thin bar at all times along the bottom edge of the screen, about 85% of the screen width. I don't find it bothersome.

- Contrast performance is excellent, of course, since for black the lasers are simply turned off.

- I was pretty disappointed with the resolution... Then I put on my glasses :p
I am slightly nearsighted but don't wear glasses normally throughout the day or when using my LCD. My vision is significantly blurrier under flickering light sources. The MP-Cl1 is considerably less readable than my LCD when viewed from the same distance, even if the projection is much larger! This is not something that I had anticipated...
Otherwise, the resolution of the MP-CL1 is perfect for a 720p desktop, or for 720p gaming. 1080p sources are ok as long as the text is large.

- Motion clarity is very good, as expected from a low-persistence display.

- No noticeable input lag. No perceptible difference compared to my NEC E462 LCD (I measured my LCD's input lag at 33ms by using high speed video comparing with a thinkpad laptop screen.)

- Nearly silent. Comparable to a quiet laptop fan. When I lower the backlight setting on my LCD I can hear the CCFL quietly buzzing from several feet away, the MP-Cl1 is barely noticeable in comparison at just a couple feet.

- This thing gets quite warm after being on for a while. The lasers lose alignment as the unit heats up, so you will see green/red fringes. I'm thinking to slap a big heatsink on the top to keep it cool.

-It displays POST/BIOS information when connected through my DVI port, so it can really be used as a portable monitor.

- I tried out an old Sony LCD projector a year or two ago. After watching for several minutes I would get eyestrain/headache. I think it was because of the rapid flicker of the arc lamp. I was concerned that the MP-CL1 would have such an effect on me, but it has not.

Overall, for a display that slides into a shirt pocket, the MP-CL1 is amazing. As a travel display or simply a companion "big screen" for a laptop/tablet/phone in a dark room, I don't think there is a better option as of summer 2016.

In the future (when I have more hours of darkness per day) I will be experimenting with rear projection. I think this will render the most impressive contrast performance.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don't understand the hype around this.

You can get a similar image out of an old crt tube projector (unless you tweak the crt, in which case the crt will perform immeasurably better).

This thing is blurry, sparkles, has horrible grayscale tracking, posterization in darker scenes, poor ansi contrast (or perhaps the resolution is so low it wouldn't matter anyways), no offset severely limiting placement options, and no remote to protect your eyesight.

I sold my picopro and bought a 51" Samsung Plasma for 460$ when they were clearing them out, the plasma does everything better. Sure the picopro is capable of getting pretty dark (so are lcds for that matter) but it's not like it renders dark scenes with anything that could approach accuracy, nor does it get bright enough for good contrast. For overall contrast performance, just about anything short of a bottom of the line edge lit lcd will beat it.

You folks are welcome to tinker with this toy as you please, but let's not pretend that it is anything other than a very niche product. This is not worth the asking price, it is very expensive and too blurry to even appeal to it's intended market (travelling business people/presenters).

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
You're comparing this:

to this?

Seriously?

I'd like to see the reviews showing "poor ansi contrast", got any links?

1/2 millionth of the image persistence of a typical TV is huge. Even plasmas do not have that low image persistence, not even close.

Despite all this, the main reason I think this projector is a waste of money is because you're better off putting that money towards a Rift instead, if you are a gamer. VR is 1000000x more impressive than a projector. I game on a 138 inch DLP image and VR blows the pants off it, hands down.

That said, between a 138 inch DLP image and an old plasma, guess which is better? DLP. Even though the blacks suck in comparison, if you're OK with 1080p resolution it's going to be way cooler to have a 138 incher. I used to own a plasma until I bought my w1070 then it collected dust for 6 months before I sold it. You can get a w1070 refurb for under 500 bucks now, that I consider a far better deal and wiser purchase than a plasma. Much, much more fun to game on a 138 inch screen, plus also great motion handling and low lag.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You're comparing this:

to this?

Seriously?

I'd like to see the reviews showing "poor ansi contrast", got any links?

1/2 millionth of the image persistence of a typical TV is huge. Even plasmas do not have that low image persistence, not even close.

Despite all this, the main reason I think this projector is a waste of money is because you're better off putting that money towards a Rift instead, if you are a gamer. VR is 1000000x more impressive than a projector. I game on a 138 inch DLP image and VR blows the pants off it, hands down.

That said, between a 138 inch DLP image and an old plasma, guess which is better? DLP. Even though the blacks suck in comparison, if you're OK with 1080p resolution it's going to be way cooler to have a 138 incher. I used to own a plasma until I bought my w1070 then it collected dust for 6 months before I sold it. You can get a w1070 refurb for under 500 bucks now, that I consider a far better deal and wiser purchase than a plasma. Much, much more fun to game on a 138 inch screen, plus also great motion handling and low lag.
You're right, there's really no comparison. A properly calibrated 9" gun crt projector will absolutely demolish the picopro for image quality. Heck, my old 7" gun 1080i rear projection did as well.
I mean sure, you could probably find a crt projector with 20000 hours on the tubes, no em focusing, and some mold growing in the coolant that the Picopro would be preferable to :rolleyes:

What difference does image persistence make if the image makes your eyes bleed?
Ansi contrast can improve perception of details, the sony may have all the ansi contrast in the world, the 360p resolution is going to obscure any such detail: http://www.kguttag.com/2015/06/01/celluon-laser-beam-scanning-projector-part-1/

You are right about vr, although the resolution definitely needs to jump to 1440p or 2160p fast! Screendoor is the single most immersion breaking trait of current vr headsets.

I like my Optoma Hd25, but the black level leaves a lot to be desired, i am hoping the 5025ub will be a significant improvement in that area.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Where'd that come from?. If that's true, I wonder what else may have been improved.
Alright, perhaps I jumped the gun a little :p
These are my own photos. Sony on the left, LCD on the right. Obviously, pixels are not going to be as sharp as on an LCD or plasma, but I think it's fairly within the realm of 720p resolution.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
These are my own photos. Sony on the left, LCD on the right. Obviously, pixels are not going to be as sharp as on an LCD or plasma, but I think it's fairly within the realm of 720p resolution.
Looks more like ~650x650 to me.

In any case, I'm sitting about 6 feet away from a 92" screen at 1080p, and I can almost make out pixels. So I'll stick to 1080p for now.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
A while ago my MPCL1 power-button started refusing to turn the unit off which meant I'd need to use the auto-shut-off timer feature to power it down. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's been pretty irritating when it does.
Worse, the power button recently began failing to turn the Sony on as well. In the last few weeks it's been acting like the problem has become permanent. :(

It'll still fully charge and work as a battery and indicate it's charge level. The power off/on problem is kind of funny after hearing about it from the higher-end Sony's...how does something like that even happen across such different models?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to have it default to HDMI input after turning it on? It's kinda annoying to always have to select that input while it's mounted to my wall.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to have it default to HDMI input after turning it on? It's kinda annoying to always have to select that input while it's mounted to my wall.
Not likely. I have the PicoPro (fairly identical unit) and asked Celluon about defaulting to HDMI as mine is wall mounted too.

They said there was no way to do that.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Can another owner confirm if they have a regular stutter in movement with their unit? It's most noticeable during constant smooth motion, for example in this motion test:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0
in my case the stutter happens every second or so. I notice it in games too.
I've noticed stuttering while wirelessly streaming to the Sony from Windows or Android, but haven't noticed it when using HDMI.

Also, I want to happily report that my MPCL1 is working fine right now. After several months of refusing to power-on despite being charged, it powered-up, streamed right from my PC (which never worked before) and powered-off politely when asked (unlike earlier, when it would refuse to power-off and I needed to rely on the 15min no-action auto shutoff feature).

If it goes screwy by DareDevil S3, I might have to through it out a window.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've noticed stuttering while wirelessly streaming to the Sony from Windows or Android, but haven't noticed it when using HDMI.

Also, I want to happily report that my MPCL1 is working fine right now. After several months of refusing to power-on despite being charged, it powered-up, streamed right from my PC (which never worked before) and powered-off politely when asked (unlike earlier, when it would refuse to power-off and I needed to rely on the 15min no-action auto shutoff feature).

If it goes screwy by DareDevil S3, I might have to through it out a window.
Thanks for checking. Good to hear that your device is behaving again.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Thanks for checking. Good to hear that your device is behaving again.
I'll have to check again to try and be sure. I love the UFO site for all the cool things it lets you check (I played with it for quite a while trying to see if a TV that claimed 120hz support actually handled 120hz..it didn't BTW).
But, I do have problems with that scrolling video stuttering irregularly every couple of seconds even while playing right on the computer monitor or other displays (maybe a browser issue or the computer's weak hardware, I couldn't say for sure).
Anyway, I never noticed any irritating stuttering during netflix or youtube while using the HDMI into the MPCL1, but I'll try and find a video with prolonged panning that plays smooth on the computer to try and doublecheck the Sony.

Loosely related, I feel like it handles wireless streaming a little more smoothly from Android than it does from Windows10. Wireless monitor via Win10 to the Sony has fairly aweful sound-sync issues and frequent little bits of stuttering (though once again, this is a pretty weak computer I'm talking about, so it might be more hardware related than anything).

Is the stuttering you're seeing happening over HDMI?

Totally unrelated (and I'm jynxing myself here), but my MPCL1 has been starting by default looking for an HDMI input rather than the wireless. I'm sure it used to be the other way around and others have complained about the default being the wireless where it doesn't automatically detect the HDMI.
Sadly the odd little shape-dependant color-imperfections in certain darker content still remains.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts