AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have few questions regaring the Sony NEX-VG10 :

1) is the Sony NEX-VG10 better in low light of the cx/xr550 ?

I mean what are the advantages of having a bigger sensor and an interchangeable lens over the cx/xr550 ?

2) do u have any side by side picture of the NEX-VG10 and the cx/xr550 ? I would like to see the difference in size of the 2.

3) Of the Sony NEX-VG10 I really hate the huge microphones at he end of the handler. Is it possible to remove those microphones or handlers. Expecially if using a pancake lens, these microphones would come out of the camera body on top of the lens.....

Thank you

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
You'll get a far cleaner image with the CX550 because it's using a chip that was optimised for video rather than photography but once you put a very fast lens on the VG10, the CX550 will look like junk. Another difference is being more easily able to have a shallower DOF on the VG10 and obviously the benefits of having different lenses for different shooting conditions. Theirs also the case of the VG10 doing 30p inside a 60i container while the CX550 does real 60i.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
You'll get a far cleaner image with the CX550 because it's using a chip that was optimised for video rather than photography but once you put a very fast lens on the VG10, the CX550 will look like junk. Another difference is being more easily able to have a shallower DOF on the VG10 and obviously the benefits of having different lenses for different shooting conditions. Theirs also the case of the VG10 doing 30p inside a 60i container while the CX550 does real 60i.
Thank you.

When you say :

"Theirs also the case of the VG10 doing 30p inside a 60i container while the CX550 does real 60i."

Does it means that the cx550 is better in that sense ?

I was wondering to use a "pancake" lens like for exampe this :

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...2-sony16f28nex

What also I do not understand, will the Sony NEX-VG10 have the auto focus ?

Thank you again

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I'd say comparing 30p to 60i is about a tie. For web streaming, you're far better off shooting in 30p than 60i since it'll convert the footage to 30p anyway so why not start with 30p and the footage will look a little better. On the other hand, 60i is 60 individual frames per second so you get better motion when viewing on an HD TV since it'll be converted to 1080 60p. This is obviously only one aspect. For certain scenes in which the VG10 gets a lot of moire, the CX550 can look better online so it's not that clear cut unless everything else is equal and it's not.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your replies.

I guess the best thing to do would be to wait for the new "NXCAM" HD camcorder that is under development and should feature E-mount lens system

http://dpreview.com/news/1011/101117...ocamcorder.asp

Problem is...how much would it costs and its dimension...

I am so curious to see this camcorder...

Because I guess the nex-vg10 has its downside in comparison to the most affordable cx/xr550

Thank you

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19548937

Thanks Paulo.

I'm debating the VG10 and the CX550 and your posts are helpful.

I happen to like 5.1 sound and it seems to me that the VG10 is intended to compete with Canon, and the DSLR market.

The interchangeable lens of the VG10 is neat but for video, the CX550 offers already a very wide angle (30mm using the old SLR standard). And in consumer/prosumer video, who has time to mess with lenses?

So, for someone who wants to shoot video, is the CX550 really a better bet? I'm also intrigued about the 30p. I use Sony Vegas to adapt the original 60i m2ts files and I have been happy with the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts