AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local BB today and brought my Energizer ERC166 (NPFH compatible battery) with me. I tried to fit it onto a HDR-CX150, but it would not fit and lock in place. I was able to angle it slightly so that the battery made contact and it indeed does work. I also tried it on a HDR-XR350V, and it worked on it as well.

I then compared the Energizer (NPFH) with the NPFV batteries on the shelf. As it turns out, they are identical except for one thing. The middle tabs on the NPFV were about half the size as the energizer's (NPFH). It would seem to me that if you were to file down those middle tabs to the same size as the newer battery, it would fit just fine.

I intend to find out for sure when I finally pull the trigger on a HDR-CX350V.

EDIT:

Well, my HDR-CX300 came in today, and they do not work for more than a few minutes. I only held the batteries to the cameras in the store for several seconds due to the awkward nature of how they were attached, and jumped to the conclusion that they could work. I have tried both the Sony branded npfh40 and an Energizer ERC166, neither work for more than a few minutes.

I'll try out the camera with the included npfv50 battery for a while, and probably bite the bullet and order a npfv70 before our Disney trip.

Again, sorry to get anyone's hopes up too much, especially mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
so in other words the FV will fit on any camera that takes the FH, but not the other way around (without filing anything down that is)

·
Registered
69 Posts
This explains why the FV package shows as compatible and replacing FH ones. The FV will fit in any camera which takes H series ones.This means there is only a small physical change but the chip code remains the same.

I suppose also that you can charge the new FV series in an FH wall charger (you can buy those cheap from ebay). FH series are also availble cheap on ebay ( FV not yet).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also tried a Sony NPFH40 in the store today, and it works as well. Although it wont lock into place. I ordered a CX300 yesterday. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have my H batteries filed down and verify that they will fit properly.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just for the record and for the people interested, you can build your own belt battery pack instead of buying the expensive NP-FV100.

You are going to save money and get a 5 hours and 25 minus of authonomy on the xr550.

I bought a

6600mAh BATTERY NP-F960 NP-F970 NP-F530

or a

7200mAh Battery NP-F960 NP-F970 NP-F530

Than you have to buy the AC Adapter For SONY AC-L200 ACL200. You open the AC Adapter and remove the cable that goes from the AC adapter to the camcorder. Write down which is the + and - wires.

Than you may want to buy a NP-F960 NP-F970 NP-F530 battery charger.

You open the battery charger and remove the charging part. Just keep the top part where you mount the battery pack. You solder the + and - of the AC Adapter For SONY AC-L200 ACL200 to the + and - of the battery holder.

Thank you just stick the plug of the new home made battery holder to the back of your xr550 and it works perfectly.

You may spend more at the beginning to vuy the different parts to build the belt battery pack, but than the batteries are cheap and they last 5 hours and 35 minutes when recording on the hard disk and with the LCD open....

Enjoi the pictures of my home made battery holder.

Tahnk you

ps:

A big thank you to Capt. Aero for the ideas/support/help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried to use a series H battery in my CX-550 : so I cut the center little piece of plastic on the H serie to match the V serie model. It fited perfectly, and seemed to work. Bingo ! But my satisfaction didn't last long : after a few minutes, the camcorder displayed an error message ("error 004 - this battery model cannot be used with this device" or something like that) and it shut down.

So I can confirm there's no possibility to use H battery in new "V" 2010 models.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Unless you do not create a belt battery pack/battery holder that goes into the AC/DC as I did.

In that way I guess you override the chip that check for the battery type and gives you the error

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't know about you but if I spent 1200 on a camera I'm not going to use pack of batteries duct taped together and STILL have to plug it in

Going to buy a NP-FV70 battery

·
Registered
790 Posts
I payed even more than that and I did a 199 dollars warranty to cover the damage that I may have done to it using my home made battery pack.

Anyway, if you know what you are doing everything should go fine.

It is a matter of taste.

I guess in your case you are right.

Buy the original pack.

I just gave an option to the people that like modding their gear

tyx

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Jacquemart /forum/post/18314023

I tried to use a series H battery in my CX-550 : so I cut the center little piece of plastic on the H serie to match the V serie model. It fited perfectly, and seemed to work. Bingo ! But my satisfaction didn't last long : after a few minutes, the camcorder displayed an error message ("error 004 - this battery model cannot be used with this device" or something like that) and it shut down.

So I can confirm there's no possibility to use H battery in new "V" 2010 models.

Good to know.So they did change the infolithium battery code. I've seen original Sony V batteries online and on eBay for around $50. I guess will be a few months before we see generic compatible batteries then. (H type generic batteries are available for less then half).

The DC power plug does not use any code, you can use any batteries as long as the voltage is correct, but is not something I like to use.

I don't think however there is any problem using an external wall charger designed for H type (you can find those very cheap online) to charge the V betteries. The charger does not check the bettery code, it just needs to fit, I think. If anybodey has one, please post.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit /forum/post/18315508

I don't think however there is any problem using an external wall charger designed for H type (you can find those very cheap online) to charge the V betteries. The charger does not check the bettery code, it just needs to fit, I think. If anybodey has one, please post.

I'm ordering a Sony BC-TRV charger from B&H for $37, I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Jacquemart /forum/post/18314023

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up. I did not realize that the battery needed to be attached for several minutes before it recognized it. All I had done was see that it turned on and worked for several seconds. I'll still try my Energizer battery when my camera gets delivered.

Now I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money for the 350v, I might need it for the battery.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Oddly enough I bet the aftermarket H series batteries will still work, because they don't have the infolithium feature in them. I would bet money it's the infolithium that's not compatible

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 /forum/post/18318433

Oddly enough I bet the aftermarket H series batteries will still work, because they don't have the infolithium feature in them. I would bet money it's the infolithium that's not compatible

Without the battery code at least, they would not work as the cammera will not accept them. I'm not sure if they implement the full info (like the remaining time) but they need to have at least the chip with the code. I did not use recently a Sony camera but a few years ago I had one and did not work with an energizer one whic did not provide the code ( in fact was working like 30 seconds before showing the message and shut-down the camera). I'm pretty sure that the aftermarket H batteries will not work also, but is just a question of time untill aftermarket V type apear. As I see a lot of Sony generic batteries out there I think the infolithium code chip is "easy" to reproduce.

From my own experience with different electronic devices, aftermarket batteries can work the same as original ones (sometimes give even more power) but also can be totaly waste of money ( had once 2 batteries which at most were 30 % of the original ones).I never had however other problems like batteries exploding (keep in mind, this is allways a possibility with lithium ion batteries). You never know what you get, but they are cheap, so in general it's worth trying.

I remember not so long ago for Canon cameras generic batteries without chip could work in camera but could not be charged in camera, but eventually someone was able to reverse enginner the chip and now there are generic Canon batteries whic work the same as original ones.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, my HDR-CX300 came in today, and they do not work for more than a few minutes. I only held the batteries to the cameras in the store for several seconds due to the awkward nature of how they were attached, and jumped to the conclusion that they could work. I have tried both the Sony branded npfh40 and an Energizer ERC166, neither work for more than a few minutes.

I'll try out the camera with the included npfv50 battery for a while, and probably bite the bullet and order a npfv70 before our Disney trip.

Again, sorry to get anyone's hopes up too much, especially mine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts