AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Sony NS715P on impulse at the same time I bought a 34XBR800 and an HD200. I wanted a progressive player and figured that this one would probably be as good as any. During the first 2 weeks I watched about 6 DVD's without spending much time looking closely at the PQ.

Yesterday I took it to a friend's house and we did an A/B comparison to a Panny CP72. The display was an uncalibrated Hitachi CP-SX5500W projected onto a 72" wide screen.

We sampled scenes from Toy Story, Monsters, Inc. and Lord of the Rings. The first thing that jumped right off the screen was the severe chroma bug in the NS715P. I had not expected to be able to see it without looking closely, but it was absolutely terrible. In virtually any frame we looked at, all the blues and reds were severely striped and the edges jaggy. By comparison, the CP72 showed nothing remotely similar. All the color blocks were solid and the edges clean.

I can't offer a technical description, but the PQ of the Panny was noticeably sharper and cleaner and the motion sequences smoother than the Sony.

The differences, even to my uneducated eye were striking. As soon as I got home, I packed the Sony into its box and I'm returning it to CC today.

Note to self: do the research before the purchase!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
You should have checked the posts here about the CP72 before you bought. There is a problem with the motor that crops up after about 6-7months of use that renders it unusable, and Panasonic doesn't seem interested in fixing it.

I bought mine a year ago because we wanted a changer for a party. When I used it the first time, I realized it wouldn't work for that because the disk changer is so slow it would kill the mood with the dead air time. But the picture was outstanding so I kept it. The audio was so-so. Should of bought the RP82, which doesn't seem to have a motor problem.

I've been on a minor rant about this for a few days now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.