AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
They have a GoogleTV based Blu-ray player in the works too so I wonder if that will come with Cinavia, I certainly hope not.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330  /t/1386193/sony-nsz-gs7-network-media-player#post_22143459

They have a GoogleTV based Blu-ray player in the works too so I wonder if that will come with Cinavia, I certainly hope not.
Processor: Dual-core Marvell 1.2Ghz chip - here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here’re some key specs for Sony (NSZ-GS7) GTV set-top box and Sony video here.

Processor: dual-core Marvell 1.2Ghz chip and 8GB memory (4MB for system + 4MB for storage)

a Universal remote control w/ back-lit QWERTY keyboard & 3-Axis motion sensor for gaming: included

24p True Cinema: supported

Sony Entertainment Network: supported

3D - Streaming/ Video(from camcorder)/ Photo: supported

Dolby Digital Plus Decode-ability: supported

Dolby Digital Plus bit-stream : supported

Dolby digital to 5.1ch LPCM : supported

Dolby downmix to 2ch LPCM : supported

LPCM 2ch/ 6ch/ 8ch: supported

DLNA (DMP) : supported

2 USB ports/ FAT32/NTFS: supported

Auto Power Off (Auto Stand-by): supported

Power: 21W / Less than 0.5W/ 60Hz / AC 120V

Energy Star Compliant: Yes

HDMI-CEC: supported

Video Noise Reduction: supported

Parental Control: supported

Individual Speaker Setting: supported

Speaker (Bluetooth): Optional

OnLive Gaming Controller/ USB dongle: Optional

Supported Video formats

=======================

3gpp/H264...................Yes (*.3gp, *.3g2)

3gpp/H264 -AVC...........Yes (*.3gp, *.3g2)

3gpp/ MPEG4-SP...........Yes (*.3gp9

AVI/H.264....................Yes (*.avi)

AVI/MPEG4 SP..............Yes (*.avi)

FLV.............................Yes (*.flv, *f4v)

MKV/H.264...................Yes (*.mkv)

MOV............................Yes (*.mov)

MPEG1 Video/PS...........Yes (*.mpg/*. mpe/* .mpeg)

MPEG2 Video/PS...........Yes (*.mpg/*. mpe/* .mpeg)

MPEG2 Video/TS...........Yes (*.m2t/*. mts/*.m2ts)

..................................Yes (*.mp4/*. m4v/*.mov/*.qt)

..................................Yes (*.mp4/*. m4v/*.mov/*.qt)

MPEG4/ MPEG4-SP........Yes (*.mp4/*. m4v/*.mov/*.qt)

MVC............................Yes (*.mvc)

WMV/ WMV10...............Yes (*.wmv/*. asf)

Xvid............................Yes (*.avi) firmware update

Supported Media - Music

========================

3gpp (AAC LC/LTP)...............Yes (*.3gp/*.3gpp)

3gpp (HE- AACv1/v2)............Yes (*.3gp/*.3gpp)

AAC LC/LTP.........................Yes (*.3gp/*. m4a/*.mp4)

AAC-LC...............................Yes (*.3gp/*. m4a/*.mp4)

AC3/DD...............................Yes (*.divx/*. mp4/*.mts)

HE-AACv1/ v2......................Yes (*.3gp/*. m4a/*.mp4)

LPCM/WAV..........................Yes (*.wav)

MDI....................................Yes (*.mid/*. xmf/*.mxmf/*. rttl/*.rtx/*.ota/*. imy)

MP3....................................Yes (*.mp3)

MPEG4- AAC-LC/LTP.............Yes (*.mp4/*. m4a)

MPEG4- AAC........................Yes (*.mp4/*. m4a)

MPEG4-HE- AACv1/v2...........Yes (*.mp4/*. m4a)

Ogg Vorbis..........................Yes (*.ogg)

WMA..................................Yes (*.asf/*. wma)

btw, this long list “Sony GTV box (second generation) Vs Logitech Revue” shows the device got considerable hardware upgrade & file support over Revue.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
This seems to be an updated version of the Revue. Much better hardware, neat remote. It has better file support, comes with Plex, updated OS but Google TV doesn't seem that much different. It is fairly pricey though not outrageous.It might make a nice Plex box but the Roku is half the price and does Plex quite well. The reviews are not all terrible but not great. It's very tempting even for someone who thinks Google TV is going nowhere (tempting because of Plex and the idea of Google TV ).

The real question is what is Sony doing. Do they want this competing with the PS3 or have they given up on the PS3 as a media centre? They are making odd moves especially with Microsoft making interesting moves with their XBox.

They are releasing this in a number of countries with what appears to be almost zero content in terms of coordination with cable companies and the like. At $100 it would make for a neat experiment. $200 is another issue.

It seems as though no-one is getting the TV. Still, one of the more interesting recent media players which says something about the current state of them.

philip

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
So far, I still find the new iteration of GTV a hard sell, especially at this price point. For local playback, file support looks decent, but no mention of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA bitstreaming, nor ISO support. For online playback, Roku still looks considerably better. The cable/satellite TV integration is one of GTV's main selling points, but it's more gimmicky than useful. Now, if it allowed you to record at least OTA, that would be something. I recall seeing this hardware earlier , so if it ever shows up, GTV may be more appealing, at least on the OTA/recording/DVR front, with their acquision of SageTV paying off.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am a bit excited to give GoogleTV a try this time around. I am undecided to go with this device or wait for the one that also has a blu-ray drive. There are a few apps in the Play Store that allows some pretty cool things that I would like to try. If the Nexus Q is as workable as they are alluding it to be that plus one of these GoogleTV boxes could mean whole house TV for me.

Reactions: avf5

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe it’s a little early to tell, but this long list “Sony GTV box (second generation) Vs Logitech Revue” shows the device got considerable hardware upgrade & file support over the Revue.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If this thing sells well I wonder if Sony would incorporate GoogleTV into the PS4. Might help them compete with the Xbox a little more.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle  /t/1386193/sony-nsz-gs7-network-media-player#post_22178977

If this thing sells well I wonder if Sony would incorporate GoogleTV into the PS4. Might help them compete with the Xbox a little more.

Nice hardware but Google TV is a bit too undefined to be appealing to most people. They would hurt the PS3 by doing this. I am quite surprised that Sony keeps supporting GTV. Perhaps Google is funding them. As it is they seem to be all over the map.

philip

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd  /t/1386193/sony-nsz-gs7-network-media-player#post_22179365

Nice hardware but Google TV is a bit too undefined to be appealing to most people. They would hurt the PS3 by doing this. I am quite surprised that Sony keeps supporting GTV. Perhaps Google is funding them. As it is they seem to be all over the map.

philip

Maybe but i guess with the added TV and ability to purchase movies from the Play store the usability of GoogleTV becomes something more to consider.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle  /t/1386193/sony-nsz-gs7-network-media-player#post_22179890

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd  /t/1386193/sony-nsz-gs7-network-media-player#post_22179365

philip

Maybe but i guess with the added TV and ability to purchase movies from the Play store the usability of GoogleTV becomes something more to consider.

The thing is more is not always better. Sony already has access to content. They don't need GTV to deliver that. They have a great brand and the PS3 and their TV line are well thought of. They have nothing to gain by confusing the public. If they continue down the road of Android, Sony Smart TV, PS3, Windows laptops, Android phones and tablets they will ruin the company. They have to make up their minds. They are caught in a funny bind between iOS, Android and Windows. Pick one and stick with it. LG sort of had this problem and they have scaled back tablets. Their Smart TV's are turning into a confused mix of Android and their own approach.

It's an odd dilemma. Microsoft is making it hard for OEM's to make money in the mobile area, Apple doesn't want hardware partners and Samsung is the only one making money with Android. I can't help but think that Sony is making a mistake putting so much faith into Google but perhaps they had no choice.

Philip

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh  /t/1386193/sony-nsz-gs7-network-media-player#post_22177055

So far, I still find the new iteration of GTV a hard sell, especially at this price point. For local playback, file support looks decent, but no mention of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA bitstreaming, nor ISO support. For online playback, Roku still looks considerably better. The cable/satellite TV integration is one of GTV's main selling points, but it's more gimmicky than useful. Now, if it allowed you to record at least OTA, that would be something. I recall seeing this hardware earlier , so if it ever shows up, GTV may be more appealing, at least on the OTA/recording/DVR front, with their acquision of SageTV paying off.

They do support Dolby audio. ISO will never be supported probably due to legal issues. I should imagine similar reasons might apply to HD audio. The Roku is indeed very nice. The $200 price for the Sony might prevent it from selling, but it's cheaper than a Smart TV!

On the one hand you have these companies pushing to make backups illegal (if they aren't already) and then they sell this. I just don't get it.

The cable integration is fraught with difficulties since those companies want GTV and anything like it to fail.

Philip

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The previous Sony box supported all HD audio formats since it was a Blu-Ray player. I'm not sure it output them properly as a DLNA player because I only have it hooked up to a TV in the bedroom. The new box may not have the support to save on licensing costs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sony includes three digital movies from Google Play/YouTube (a $45 value) with Sony NSZ-GS7 (in-stock) - here

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I streamed few movies and shows from Netflix on the new Sony NSZ-GS7.

Here is what I found so far,

A new Netflix App,
  1. Includes “Netflix” and “Netflix just for Kids”.
  2. HD content video support in 1080p resolution & adaptive-streaming - PQ is great.
  3. HD 5.1 content audio support via HDMI in “5.1 Dolby Digital Plus” (5.1DD+) pass-through (bitstream) with global-settings options to transcode 5.1DD+ to either “5.1DD bitstream” or to “5.1PCM” - it doesn’t seem to be that many streaming players out there that offer all three audio-out (5.1DD+/5.1DD/5.1PCM) options from Netflix & support any old/new AVR.
  4. HD 5.1 content audio support via Optical in “5.1 Dolby Digital” (5.1DD) bitstream with global-settings options to output “5.1PCM”.
  5. HD & SD Stereo content audio support via HDMI or Optical in “2ch PCM” with sound simulation support (ex. PLII & Neo:6) - not like Revue 7.1 issues.
  6. Netflix App loading time is about the same as before but once it’s loaded the pages/thumbnails/icons display instantly.

In short, from what I’ve seen so fare, it’s a keeper – here.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts