AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Long post ahead. So I decided to create a topic on Sony Oled vs LG oled because there are numerous question and comparisons across multiple threads about specific TV models. I recently felt like I was muddying up some threads with my opinions and causing conversations that should be moved out of those threads so I decided to create this topic and give my in depth opinion. I’ve owned both Sony and LG OLEDs and ultimately settled on LG, after being a Sony only guy for years. Heres why...

First off let me start by saying I’ve been a Sony only guy for years. Here’s what I own in chronological order:
Sony HX929-den
Sony 830C-bedroom
Sony 940E-guestroom
Sony Z9D-basement
Sound Set up- Sony HTZ9F soundbar paired with Sony Z9R rear wireless speakers.
Sony 1100ES 4K blu ray player
Sony PS4 Pro
I moved on to OLED and replaced the Z9D as my main TV with the A9G, which was ultimately replaced by the LG GX.
So it’s safe to say I’m a Sony fanboy.

Ok so let me start with “marketer” or “sales guy” terms used like pop & depth. IMO, the LG has a more 3D like, sharper image with a bit more color saturation, ESPECIALLY with 4K & HDR/Dolby Vision content. I think it’s just the difference in Sony VS LGs processing styles.
The A9G, like all other Sony sets I’ve owned, has a flatter, more film like, natural picture. It doesn’t have the drastic depth appearance that the LG has. There’s depth but just not as pronounced as the LG. This is done on purpose by Sony as they lean towards accuracy and creators intent. Which is also the reason why LG seems to have more pop due to the more saturated colors while Sony tries to have more accurate colors and cares less about a stand out picture that grabs your eye. I like a picture with a little more color and depth. I like a picture that looks like I’m actually there. I prefer this look over the accurate film like look now having experienced it after having Sony’s all these years. So those are my non technical/factual reasons for going with LG.

Now for the actual tech side. The Sony OLEDs have a problem with near black flashing and artifacting/macroblocking. I’m not sure if I’m using the right terms but I’m trying fellas. I noticed that the LG handles near black WAY better than Sony. I’ve heard it’s due to something called dithering, whatever that is. It was an annoying issue for me. Then the A9G seems to have audio issues with eARC and also an issue where it doesn’t detect a TV signal so it gives you the black Bravia screenSaver. These issues occurred WAY too often for a $5000 TV. Constantly hard resetting and switching sources isn’t a good thing. Turning off eARC helps with the audio but then my soundbar doesn’t output full Dolby Atmos. That’s a no go as well. I should have to turn off eARC. It should work properly. I shouldn’t have to turn off enhanced mode on my HDMI inputs to avoid the Bravia Screen. It should work as designed. So I decided to step out of Sony and try LG. My findings were surprising.

I was skeptical. To me, nothing compared to Sony TVs and products in general. But after ALOT of forum reading and research, I saw that LG OLEDs were the next best thing. So I order the GX over the CX because I like the spaced Out legs that raise the TV enough to fit a soundbar underneath and it’s just a stunning design. After turning it on and watching some content, I was blown away by the 4K and HDR/DV picture quality. I use AI picture pro because it does enhanced the detail. I use AI brightness, I use Real Cinema and I use Cinema Clear in the Motion settings because I like a bit of motion processing as well. This combination plus some other minor tweaks to some settings give LGs this TV a leg up on the A9G. The black also seem more inky on the LG than the Sony. The one thing the Sony does better is show cable sources a bit better but it’s very close. All that plus the added gaming features that Sony TVs lack, drove me to LG. I still have all my Sony acccesories hook up to my LG and they aren’t going anywhere. Neither are my Sony LEDs. But when it comes to OLED, I believe LG has Sony beat with the CX/GX models only. Not the C9 as it’s lacking in motion processing, upscaling and depth. The CX/GX is the OLED king IMO until Sony releasss the A9H OLED with their new processor. Then I may be going back home. Til then LG it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Really interesting, I have been so keen on a AG9 but the issues re eArc and rumours about the near black have put me off. Great feedback from someone who has owned both the LG and Sony, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
Really interesting, I have been so keen on a AG9 but the issues re eArc and rumours about the near black have put me off. Great feedback from someone who has owned both the LG and Sony, thanks!
There are plenty of members here who are happier with their CX than they were with the other brand. Also, not a lot of "experts" really post on here so what you will see are the few and I mean few "experts" that provide obvious bias opinions that in fact very unhelpful.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
There are plenty of members here who are happier with their CX than they were with the other brand. Also, not a lot of "experts" really post on here so what you will see are the few and I mean few "experts" that provide obvious bias opinions that in fact very unhelpful.
And there are many who went from LG to Sony and are happier - it goes both ways (both brands have their pros and cons, and both will provide pretty similar PQ overall). I agree with you that most posters here are not experts (including the 2 of us) and simply state their own preferences. Where I disagree with you is that I put more credence into the opinions of the few experts who do post here (including D-Nice and jrrf, etc) who own and calibrate many, many displays rather than the opinions of total strangers who have used unknown settings and have unknown expertise.:rolleyes:

Reactions: JD23

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Everybody loves the "expert" as long as their expert opinion matches their own.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
I wonder whether Cam actually looked at the link I posted before claiming "bias." D-Nice's comparison starts out with this: "post calibration both LG and Sony are quite similar in light output and over all picture quality." He then goes on to point out the slight advantages and disadvantages of both brands.

Edit: And those advantages/disadvantages are, in fact, very consistent with the majority of the posts on the topic. Many here prefer LG, and many prefer Sony. And (ex-US) many prefer Panny. At the end of the day, PQ is very similar between them, and you really can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
While I can relate to you regarding Sony's eARC glitches, no soundbar can create a convincing Atmos effect, regardless of whether it is outputting "full Atmos".

·
Registered
243 Posts
And everybody claims "bias" with any opinion that doesn't match theirs.;)
This is why I hope there are a few more posts like the one that started this thread. Bravo, by the way!
Enthusiasts who have either owned both brands, did thorough research before they committed to their purchase, or professionals who have calibrated these OLEDS, should be active on this thread. This is what most of us want to hear anyway. It gives us a guide in what to look for when we start shopping, and helps us to be more open minded against our own potentially biased opinion.
Keep in mind, shopping for these panel's is a challenge in the way they are displayed in stores.
I can only learn about broadcast quality (cable, satellite, streaming) and motion issues from other peoples' experience.
Right now, I'm neck and neck between SONY and LG. I'm a year out before I purchase so I can sit back, watch, and read.

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
And there are many who went from LG to Sony and are happier - it goes both ways (both brands have their pros and cons, and both will provide pretty similar PQ overall). I agree with you that most posters here are not experts (including the 2 of us) and simply state their own preferences. Where I disagree with you is that I put more credence into the opinions of the few experts who do post here (including D-Nice and jrrf, etc) who own and calibrate many, many displays rather than the opinions of total strangers who have used unknown settings and have unknown expertise.:rolleyes:
It does go both ways, but you missed my point. When I meant "experts" I meant other professionals who are on AVS who choose not to post...its really just a few as I said. The bias is obvious from the ones who do. So im sorry if I dont take the word of an obvious "biased professional" Sorry, but I just dont blindly follow the voice of just one person. If you feel that your brand is the best because that person said its the best...good for you, but remember thats there opinion:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
Everybody loves the "expert" as long as their expert opinion matches their own.
exactly 💯 @BillP has used an "experts" view more than once to support his view...its no secret.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread!

I am exactly in the middle of 77" CX v A9G. I would like to try to sum up what I have learned over the past week (I could have passed a final with less studying) so that you can point out what I'm missing and why it matters.

I have looked at LCD units like the 90/80T but there is a point where that punchiness starts to look a lot like an airport bar in Vegas. But no burn-in, the directional sound and certainly more nits for HDR so not entirely unappealing. and favorably priced

I watch a lot of sports in season (mostly football), some movies and some streamed content like live concerts. I have an Apple TV 4K. I get Netflix and Prime and will probably add Disney+

I will rely on the built-in TV audio or feed my high-end two-channel stereo. I have a modified Oppo 205 so plan to test if I am better off feeding the Oppo then HDMI to the OLED or as many have recommended feeding the OLED then go back to the Oppo or the integrated amp using the digital optical out. I do not plan to buy an eARC receiver - at most perhaps a soundbar

I do not game so am not overly concerned about having (faux) HDMI 2.1 though I imagine in the years I have the set it would be useful.

I understand that each brand has a "house" look, and that most think that the Sony has truer (less pop) colors and upscales SDR better and perhaps does motion better.

It is clear that the CX does 120BFI - there seems to be some difference of opinion as to whether the A9G does it at all? And there is the claim that A9 BFI with HDR is slightly brighter

This next feature is important to me. A9 sound seems to be superior with the glass speakers - seen a lot of comments that the CX distorts if driven hard - seems like under normal use it's acceptable?

BUT it also seems that the AG9 is a whole lot "fiddlier" or "crankier" if you prefer especially with eARC. And if there is one thing I am not interested in, it is a fiddly piece of expensive kit where the basic solution is a hard reboot even after the mfgr has had the better part of two years to sort it out. The only thing that makes the A9G possible is the reduced EOL pricing - I am sure that the A9H when it comes will command a hefty premium putting it out of my reach.

In contrast, LG appears to be more responsive to issues and much quicker with the firmware upgrades.

I am sure all three of the OS's (LG, Sony, Samsung) have their pluses and minuses and one simply deals with what one has. Same with the remotes - some really seem to like the LG remote with the AI audio sensing etc. But again one gets used to (aka deals with) what one has.

I have not seen any comments on reliability over time so assume that they both tend to work.

What am I missing? And what insights can you offer as current and previous owners of these models? - not much point in going on about units that are no longer available.

Thanks in advance for your help :cool:

·
Registered
17,963 Posts
It does go both ways, but you missed my point. When I meant "experts" I meant other professionals who are on AVS who choose not to post...its really just a few as I said. The bias is obvious from the ones who do. So im sorry if I dont take the word of an obvious "biased professional" Sorry, but I just dont blindly follow the voice of just one person. If you feel that your brand is the best because that person said its the best...good for you, but remember thats there opinion:rolleyes:
Every owner on this forum is biased one way or another. Currently I prefer Sony OLEDs over LG for my home. The key word there is currently as it was the LG B6 series that was the first OLED to transition me away from my Pioneer Kuros. I bought and used the 55 and 65” models. Those were replaced by a 55 and 65” C7. I got a 55” A1E in for evaluation did a lot of comparisons between it and the C7 and concluded I preferred Sony’s choices in OLED performance over LG for my home. So... I purchased a Sony OLED for every room in the house and continued to purchase LG OLEDs for evaluation only until they qualify for a spot in a room of my home... per my requirements.

Unlike others, including those deemed experts, on this forum and YouTube, I purchase everything I evaluate. I don’t accept favors, gifts, free TV units, free software, money or any other form of manipulation/payola when it comes to me evaluating displays and stating the raw facts. If you like my info, great, if you do not like my info, that’s also great. I expect more enemies than fans because the integrity, values and “code of honor” I choose to uphold goes against the marketing army of this industry. Feel free to ask other experts of your choice if they follow a similar credo.

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
^no doubt people on here have there bias. Im biased towards LG because I dont see any reason to spend much more for a Sony for what maybe a little better pq. However everything yoi wrote on the Sony proves my point on bias.

I dont have a problem with your preferences...you like and prefer Sony, you post mostly in Sony forums...heck you and I had a large disagreement on panel binning. So this argument isnt new. My view is that when it comes to someone elses money, I wouldnt just say...well Sony is better because it handles this or that better, the question is why such a difference in cost...is it really thaf worth it???

In your last paragraph you try to contrast your self by saying you dont take payments from brands and so on, I dont think thats relevant to the discussion because no one accused you of that. As far as integrity values and code of honor, with all due respsct, you have a habit of putting people down that you disagree with, and even gone so far as threathed people...Those actions dont represent a code of honor as far as I know.

·
Registered
17,963 Posts
^no doubt people on here have there bias. Im biased towards LG because I dont see any reason to spend much more for a Sony for what maybe a little better pq.
Makes sense to me.

However everything yoi wrote on the Sony proves my point on bias.
Yes, I prefer Sony OLEDs but still recommend LG OLEDs based on an individual’s requirements.

I dont have a problem with your preferences...you like and prefer Sony, you post mostly in Sony forums...heck you and I had a large disagreement on panel binning. So this argument isnt new. My view is that when it comes to someone elses money, I wouldnt just say...well Sony is better because it handles this or that better, the question is why such a difference in cost...is it really thaf worth it???
Have you ever seen me blatantly tell someone how to spend their money? That is something I just do not do. Case and point would be the post I did yesterday in the A8H thread. Every prospective owner should choose what best fits their requirements and wallet.

In your last paragraph you try to contrast your self by saying you dont take payments from brands and so on, I dont think thats relevant to the discussion because no one accused you of that. As far as integrity values and code of honor, with all due respsct, you have a habit of putting people down that you disagree with, and even gone so far as threathed people...Those actions dont represent a code of honor as far as I know.
Cam, come on now. Pointing out specific reasons for bias that exists on this forum and YouTube need to be known since said individuals actually do tell people what they should buy. That’s truth. Your choice to believe it— easily proven if you do your research— or not.

Demeaning posts. Ok, their are instances where I am guilty of that. So are you. We are both human.

Threatening people.... hmmm. I don’t start conflict. However I am very good at ending it. Make sure you look in the mirror and recognize your threats.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
I will rely on the built-in TV audio or feed my high-end two-channel stereo. I have a modified Oppo 205 so plan to test if I am better off feeding the Oppo then HDMI to the OLED or as many have recommended feeding the OLED then go back to the Oppo or the integrated amp using the digital optical out. I do not plan to buy an eARC receiver - at most perhaps a soundbar
We have a lot in common. I also have a high-end 2-channel audio system and an Oppo 205. The internal speakers of the A9G are excellent (much better than on my previous display, a Panny plasma), which I use for watching the news and some TV shows. But I mainly use my 2-channel system for movies and most TV shows. If playing a disc (BluRay, etc), I simply use my 205, sending video to the A9G and analog audio to my preamp. When using the display's internal apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, HBO Max), I use ARC to the 205 for audio, then analog outs from the 205 to my preamp (the 205 has ARC, but not eARC, and it works fine, apparently free of the eARC issues some have complained of). I don't bother using the 205 with my cable box (I use HDMI from the cable box to the display, and analog audio directly from the cable box to the preamp).

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
exactly 💯 @BillP has used an "experts" view more than once to support his view...its no secret.
Absolutely! I put a lot more stock into the opinions of the calibrators who post here and other people who actually work in the field, rather than total strangers who may or may not know what they are talking about.

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
^guy... mostly everyone here are strangers to each other. It still doesnt disprove my initial response on bias.

Im really happy for you that you put stock into one person...I choose to let Me make those decisions, not someone else.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
^guy...everyone here are strangers to each other. Im really happy for you that you put stock into one person...I choose to let Me make those decisions, not someone else.
No, I do not put stock into just one person. And when deciding which OLED to buy a year ago, I did my own research, scouring over the C9 and A9G threads, and talking to Robert at length at Value Electronics (from whom I bought my display). And I came very close to going with the C9, but thought the A9G was best for ME. You really seem to pick fights with everyone who disagrees with your choice of OLED brand, or points out both the pros and cons of both brands, as if anything negative about the LG is just our bias. As I have stated numerous times (including in this thread), they are both excellent OLEDs, and you can't really go wrong with either. The one who comes off as more biased than anyone here is you.

1 - 20 of 458 Posts