AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m well aware and have been saying this for years now. However, the difference for the average person on this forum is not that great. Only the 1% of the 2% will really appreciate the difference.... especially since this is all for SDR and Sony is better at color for HDR/DoVi... objectively of course. I am a member of that 1%.
Hey D-Nice, I sent you a private message. Thanks take care bro.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m struggling to choose a new set. I love the Sony picture, upscaling and motion. But I also love the look of the GX and it’s features! I want to move to a 77” from 65”. I wonder when the A9H or whatever it is going to be called will come out?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I’m struggling to choose a new set. I love the Sony picture, upscaling and motion. But I also love the look of the GX and it’s features! I want to move to a 77” from 65”. I wonder when the A9H or whatever it is going to be called will come out?
JUst get the LG CX, you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Sony myself. Mostly for the better motion and processing, but also the better tone mapping of HDR (IMO) despite being a little less bright.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Anyone know why there is no 77" A8H?

Pure speculation, but my guess is that the 77" A9G was supposed to be replaced by a 77" A9H. Since the A9H is now canceled/delayed until next year, the A9G will need to carry on until next year.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Sony myself. Mostly for the better motion and processing, but also the better tone mapping of HDR (IMO) despite being a little less bright.
Just FYI, even if you don't get your LG calibrated there is a free tool called Device Control where you can adjust the HDR tone mapping to anything you want including making the LG tone map pretty close to the Sony without any special equipment. All you need is a PC. But i agree Sony vs LGs tone mapping is a matter of what you like best. There is a whole thread on tone mapping with Device Control.

Reactions: Yoti and beau21

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I’m well aware and have been saying this for years now. However, the difference for the average person on this forum is not that great. Only the 1% of the 2% will really appreciate the difference.... especially since this is all for SDR and Sony is better at color for HDR/DoVi... objectively of course. I am a member of that 1%.
Concerning DV, i don't want to open another "can of worms", but after looking at this again, both the Sony and LG produce very good DV but i personally feel the TV Led, chip implementation of DV used on the Panasonic and the LG is superior partly because the tone mapping is done by the TV vs the source device which might not always get it right. With TV Led, you know how the TV is tone mapping, you know exactly it's peak luminance and you can calibrate the DV PM on the TV vs the source device again getting the right information. Just my opinion, no right or wrong here. Just another way of looking at it.

Reactions: harveybirdman15

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
Concerning DV, i don't want to open another "can of worms", but after looking at this again, both the Sony and LG produce very good DV but i personally feel the TV Led, chip implementation of DV used on the Panasonic and the LG is superior partly because the tone mapping is done by the TV vs the source device which might not always get it right. With TV Led, you know how the TV is tone mapping, you know exactly it's peak luminance and you can calibrate the DV PM on the TV vs the source device again getting the right information. Just my opinion, no right or wrong here. Just another way of looking at it.
Sigh... it doesn’t matter who is doing the tone mapping when it comes to color tracking. Your CX has inferior color tracking compared to any Sony X1 Ultimate chipset OLED with HDR and DoVi. It doesn’t matter if you do the matrix 3DLUT upload for HDR nor the DoVi config file upload. Yes, tracking PQ is better on the LG than Sony, specifically with roll off, but that has nothing to do with color tracking and I pointed out the PQ tracking differences back in March. Let’s not even bring up how a DoVi calibration on a LG becomes disabled when it gets a Player-LED signal.... something you would never know unless you had the capability to verify what DoVi type the TV is receiving.

·
Banned
168 Posts
I am confused what D-Nice and Jrref are saying on the color accuracy comparison between LG's CX and Sony's new A8h.

Can one or both of you please comment on how they compare in the best picture modes out of the box and after calibration.

If I understand correctly Jrref is saying with LG you can take advantage of CalMAN's or Lightspeed's feature on LG TVs of calibrating to the TV's built-in LUT with more color luminance points and correct any color points to be more accurate. Since Sony does not offer calibration directly to the TVs built-in LUT you can't fix any minor color inaccuracies.

Considering that most users will not invest in an external LUT and if my understandings are correct that with Jrrer's method he uses at Value Electronics you can get better color accuracy final results with a LG TV.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I am confused what D-Nice and Jrref are saying on the color accuracy comparison between LG's CX and Sony's new A8h.

Can one or both of you please comment on how they compare in the best picture modes out of the box and after calibration.

If I understand correctly Jrref is saying with LG you can take advantage of CalMAN's or Lightspeed's feature on LG TVs of calibrating to the TV's built-in LUT with more color luminance points and correct any color points to be more accurate. Since Sony does not offer calibration directly to the TVs built-in LUT you can't fix any minor color inaccuracies.

Considering that most users will not invest in an external LUT and if my understandings are correct that with Jrrer's method he uses at Value Electronics you can get better color accuracy final results with a LG TV.
Just to clear things up, all i'm saying is, yes, if you are not going to use an external LUT box on the Sony, you will get better results with the LG by creating a new 3DLUT. The difference may not be important to many but you can get the LG near reference. Side by side comparisons, you can see it mostly in the lower APL scenes as D-Nice indicated. The Sony's user controls just can't fix all the calibration issues. This has been discussed for many years but i'm mentioning it because people forget about this.

As far as Dolby Vision, both the Sony and the LG will give you a great picture but i just prefer the TV Led chip based implementation used on the LG and the Panasonic vs the Sony's player Led flavor. I guess you can argue either way but my only problem with Player Led is not all player's will get the tone mapping right. Just my personal opinion.

So for those comparing Sony vs LG, without any external devices you can calibrate the LG to near reference. For Dolby Vision, it's a toss-up. There are pro's and con's to both DV implementations.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
Just to clear things up, all i'm saying is, yes, if you are not going to use an external LUT box on the Sony, you will get better results with the LG by creating a new 3DLUT. The difference may not be important to many but you can get the LG near reference. Side by side comparisons, you can see it mostly in the lower APL scenes as D-Nice indicated. The Sony's user controls just can't fix all the calibration issues. This has been discussed for many years but i'm mentioning it because people forget about this.

As far as Dolby Vision, both the Sony and the LG will give you a great picture but i just prefer the TV Led chip based implementation used on the LG and the Panasonic vs the Sony's player Led flavor. I guess you can argue either way but my only problem with Player Led is not all player's will get the tone mapping right. Just my personal opinion.

So for those comparing Sony vs LG, without any external devices you can calibrate the LG to near reference. For Dolby Vision, it's a toss-up. There are pro's and con's to both DV implementations.
Just make sure you never send an LG OLED a player-led DoVi signal. As I’ve said countless times before, when you do, any DoVi calibration done on it will be null and void. That is objective, not subjective. This is more so an issue with streamers like the ATV4K and Nvidia Shield than BD players like the Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts

I do not and probably never will compare OOTB video modes. Far too subjective because it is what the manufacturer wants you to see.

After calibration, and speaking only of SDR, a non 3DLUT calibration on a X1 Ultimate Sony OLED is 95% of a grade 2 post production WRGB OLED for color. You want the other 5%, get a CX and someone who actually knows how to calibrate it with a 17^3 cube or higher patch set or find an external 3DLUT for the Sony and get a 17^3 cube or higher patch set done on it. Any cube lower than 17^3 on these displays is notreference grade. So do not be fooled into thinking you have a reference image if your calibrator only does a 1000 point patch set— aka 10^3 cube— 3DLUT on a LG. It is no better than a Sony with no 3DLUT.

HDR and DoVi are a completely different animal. The Sony is better with color accuracy, period. Neither display is considered reference for HDR/DoVi. They are both sub reference but the Sony tracks color better because they take more time tuning color at the factory. Measuring 4 colors on the LG for HDR and DoVi does not change this.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Both sets are awesome. Buy what you think is right for YOU. You really can't go wrong with either. I will say though, sony seems to have better qc with panel uniformity. My panel is almost perfect. I'm still shocked how great it is.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Just FYI, even if you don't get your LG calibrated there is a free tool called Device Control where you can adjust the HDR tone mapping to anything you want including making the LG tone map pretty close to the Sony without any special equipment. All you need is a PC. But i agree Sony vs LGs tone mapping is a matter of what you like best. There is a whole thread on tone mapping with Device Control.
Also the Panasonic UHD player have a feature to control the tone mapping.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
478 Posts
What comes out next year, it will not be an I series either, will be more advanced than what would have been the A9H so as I’ve said before, there will not be an A9H period.
You have no idea how advanced or not advanced the Sony is going to be next year or what it is going to be named. At this point no one does.

Until there is an official confirmation and launch date from Sony the most anyone on this site can do is speculate.

Especially in today's environment who knows what can happen between now and the launch of their new televisions.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
''it will not be an I series either'' ''most anyone on this site can do is speculate''
2017 AxE
2018 AxF
2019 AxG
2020 AxH
2021 Ax:rolleyes:

181 - 200 of 586 Posts