AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
“ Where did you get that? Consumers LG and Sony Oled are wrgb and they only has been used as client monitors, they aren’️t reference monitors.”

Allow me to introduce myself. I am the Technical Chairman of the Society of Camera Operators we are to operators what the ASC is to Directors of Photography. So I am a subject matter expert.

I get that info from Consulting For ARRI and other manufactures and being their guest at industry events such as NAB, IBC, Cinec and others.

You fail to understand that we master for viewing and “Reference” monitors are used during acquisition not for final mastering

If you have any other questions I’m happy to answer them

·
Registered
18,204 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 940e with a 77" a9g or the gx/cx. Tough choice.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
^I had a 940e as well...you will most definitely be happy either way you go if you decide to go to Oled.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
@ EFletcher you are saying that Sony OLEDS are not used in the film and TV world unless it’s on a Sony produced show, which I found strange. I don’t know what D-nice have to say about this, so I wait.

If is just to demo their products then that’s fine.

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
@ EFletcher you are saying that Sony OLEDS are not used in the film and TV world unless it’s on a Sony produced show, which I found strange.

I don’t know what D-nice have to say about this, so I wait.
Sony RGB OLEDs are definitely used in TV. They are also used in post production. I’ve personally seen them. No one I know uses Sony WRGB OLEDs for either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As are LG OLEDS which are actually used more often than the Sony OLED’s then there is the matter of Camera demonstration monitors and those are exclusively LG unless the manufacture is Sony

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, I prefer Sony OLEDs but still recommend LG OLEDs based on an individual’s requirements.

On a side note, I am under the impression, if we're talking OLED screens, it's all and only a LG product - no other manufactures this screen without being licensed by LG. However, the underlying electronic/componentry makes the difference in quality.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So you mean a person watching a LG oled calibrated to reference isn't seeing the movie as the director intended and that's he's not a purist? TBH, even though i own a sony, this also just comes off more like marketing speak. With panasonic oleds also, this claim is used.
A director does not intend you to watch the movie on a non-additive WRGB display (when a RGB mastering monitor is used), a director does not intend you to watch a 4000 nits movie tone mapping it whichever way your manufacturer feels like lol.
We are talking about out of the box color accuracy in that regards Sony is better obviously you can calibrate your LG OLED to get comparable accuracy. Some people cannot be bothered with the hassle and just want a tv with great accuracy that they can just hook up and watch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LG vs SONY

^its cool D-Nice, I respectfully disagree with your assessment, Im just gonna leave it at that🙂

"Style" in post response...weird D-Nice. Anyway, half a dozen...6 the other on LG vs SONY. Go with what you like!

I totally support the Military, and my family has always had personnel in the Armed forces since the Civil War.

Take care all.

-F-

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
As are LG OLEDS which are actually used more often than the Sony OLED’s then there is the matter of Camera demonstration monitors and those are exclusively LG unless the manufacture is Sony
LGE WRGB OLEDs are used as client monitors in post production. They are not grade 1 reference monitors so they would never be used for mastering in post production. I’ve never seen WRGB OLEDs used in a broadcast studio either. What ESPN, Fox, CBS, etc. studio uses them on set or in the studio?

·
Registered
580 Posts
On a side note, I am under the impression, if we're talking OLED screens, it's all and only a LG product - no other manufactures this screen without being licensed by LG. However, the underlying electronic/componentry makes the difference in quality.
Just to be clear, LG Display manufactures the OLED panels. They are a completely separate entity from LG Electronics, the company that makes consumer TVs. LGE buys OLED panels from LGD just like Sony, Panasonic, etc. do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just to be clear, LG Display manufactures the OLED panels. They are a completely separate entity from LG Electronics, the company that makes consumer TVs. LGE buys OLED panels from LGD just like Sony, Panasonic, etc. do.

Whatever LG branches are doing what - it's all LG by the end of the day, NO?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
I make these comments only in the context of my personal experience . I respect everyone’s opinion here. I owned the A9G for about a month had it professionally calibrated , ended up returning it . Great set but not for me . I found it to be slightly over saturated and I didn’t prefer that look. The cx has met my expectations and then some . I find the upscaling to be on par with the Sony and don’t have any complaints . The cx is an upgrade over my C8. So for me lg was the right choice . My 2 cents .

77CX YTTV AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I make these comments only in the context of my personal experience . I respect everyone’s opinion here. I owned the A9G for about a month had it professionally calibrated , ended up returning it . Great set but not for me . I found it to be slightly over saturated and I didn’t prefer that look. The cx has met my expectations and then some . I find the upscaling to be on par with the Sony and don’t have any complaints . The cx is an upgrade over my C8. So for me lg was the right choice . My 2 cents .

What do you 'not' like about the cx and what do you think it does better than your previous A9G?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Earc is not ready for Primetime

What do you 'not' like about the cx and what do you think it does better than your previous A9G?
Had both the Sony A9G and the CX and can say that BOTH have Earc issues. New receiver, new cables, etc. Tech support to both Sony and LG and still intermittent sound on Earc. They need to go back to the drawing board with this. As to picture, I would give the Sony a slight edge. Tech support was better with LG. Sony was no help so TV went back. LG tried with Earc issues but was not sucessful either. ChinaD on youtube has a video out on this problem. Earc just SUCKS!

·
Registered
11,696 Posts

Really nothing slight edge to the Sony on motion but that gap has closed imo . Honestly I have no complaints at all with the cx . The CX just has a more balanced picture imo. It does everything well . Subjectively I like the calibrated picture better on the LG. Again not criticizing the A9G just didn’t work for me .

Reactions: sd13 and Cam1977
61 - 80 of 367 Posts