AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in a while here (so long, I forgot my old username and password and had to create a new account). Anyway, I've been out of consumer electronics for about 6 years and am now looking at replacing my TV and have no idea what to do. I used to work for a mid-fi electronics chain that carried brands like Mits, Sony, Hitachi, and Toshiba as well as Denon, Yamaha, Sony ES, Energy, Polk Audio, and Boston accoustics. This is where I derve most of my experience from but it has been an extremely long time since I bought any equipment and I don't exactly relish the thought of paying retail, but, I need a new TV.

Now, to what I have. The home theater package consists of Energy APS5+2 bipole speakers up front with the matching center, Energy A3+2 bipole towers in the rear, Energy RVSS bi/dipole speakers on the side, and a Klipsch 12" sub for low frequency. It is run by a Denon AVR-3800. I also have an Onkyo progressive scan DVD player, Mits SVHS VCR and a Monster Power line conditioner and surge protector.

This is where my system sucks (or at least I think it does). I have a nine year old Mits 32" TV that we sit 12 feet away from. Not exactly enveloping in the theater experience. It is still performing flawlessly and the deal with the better half was to let it wear out and then buy a new big screen. Well, she got a new bedroom set without absolutely needing it so, we get a new TV as well. I do have a couple of restrictions, though. I can only spend $2000 and it needs to be technology that will not have to be replaced within the next few years...especially when the analog signal gets switched off, if it ever does. I have been mainly looking at two units:

Mitsubishi WS-55517

Sony KDP-57WS655

The links wouldn't work, can't post them with under 5 posts to this board. The Good Guys has the Sony for $1999.99 and Best Buy has the Mits for the same price. Both have about the same feature set so, if you're not familiar with them, go to those two web sites and check them out.

I will buy from a brick and mortar store so that it will be delivered and brought into my home and they will remove the box (the kids don't need another playhouse) and because I believe in spending my money in the local community if the price is commensurate with what I can get online (both of the links are). These two sets seem to have plenty of features for the money and, from what I know from previous experience, were two pretty good quality manufacturers.

The thing I'm not crazy about is either having to stack all of my equipment on top of the TV or getting a separate cabinet to put on the side of the TV (speakers are bipole and you can tell a difference in imaging when there is something sitting next to one side of the TV or the other). Currently I have a very nice glass stand that provides room for all of my equipment and is low enough that an LCD or DLP display would fit on it but I don't think there is one in my price range that I will think is big enough, I just don't know if 42" will do it as far back as we sit.

Also, since I use the Denon to do all of my switching (S-Video), am I to understand that I will not be able to take advantage of the progressive scan output of the DVD player? The Denon does not have upconversion from composite and S-video to component, although the DVD player, obviously, has component outputs.

I guess my question, after this long winded dissertation, is what would some of you do in my situation and how would you spend your money? Is there something I haven't seen or looked at that I should? Oh, I should mention that I am on DirecTv and have no plans of going to the cable monopoly around here. I also have no plans of buying a HD DirecTv receiver anytime soon so all of my high def viewing will be done by over the air broadcasts, which would be a nice thing to have. This is what took the Toshiba H84 series sets out of the running because they don't have the integrated tuner (unless they're that much better pieces than either of the other two that I just shouldn't pass it up...in that case I can get the 65H84 for about $1800). Thanks for the help and sorry about the long post, but this is a major purchase and I want to get all of the info I can.

Jarrod

·
Registered
33 Posts
holy schnikies, that is one long post. i hope a lover of books finds your post, b/c sorry bro, i can't read all of that. i already graduated from college

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think what you're saying is you want a LCD or DLP in the 55" range but only have a budget of about $2000. You don't want a 42".

If 50" isn't too small and you shop and haggle real well, you might be able to get the Sony KDF-E50A10 rear projection LCD for close to that price range. If you happen to be in the NY area, it would be fairly easy. Otherwise stepping up to a 55" will probably cost you a minimum of $600 - 800 more.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, bz2yx9. I don't have to have LCD or DLP but it might be easier in the room I'm working with just to clean it up and be able to keep my stand. If I was really going for broke, I'd remodel for a cabinet to hide all of my electronics and be done with it but I don't have the time or patience. I will probably end up with CRT because of size and cost and tell the wife that she just has to deal with having a big box in the room. The TV should be wide enough that most of the components will sit side by side. I was really looking for other suggestions of sets that I hadn't looked at and, in your case, you gave me a suggestion to look into and I appreciate that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrippi
holy schnikies, that is one long post. i hope a lover of books finds your post, b/c sorry bro, i can't read all of that. i already graduated from college

OK, how about this, I am looking at the Mits WS-55517 or the Sony KDP-57WS655. I like the features on both and need advice on which people like best. I don't really have more than $2000 to spend and am leaning toward the Mits. Is there anything else I should be looking at? If anybody else cares for more details, they are in the first post. As I said, sorry about the long post earlier, but I thought that information might be helpful to making an informed decision.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The sony will have a much better Sd cable, satelite, picture...

Also the zoom modes are ALOT better on the sony..

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Also i would consider the Hitachi 57... Circut city should have them both side by side....Check out circut citys reviews on there web site...

The only thing i diddnt like abought the hitachi is it looked "noiser" than the sony... But its no doubt a sweet set...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the Sony KP57WS500 that is a year old and the picture off of satellite is great, took a while to get it right but now I love it. Had cable and the picture quality was terrible, no it just sucked. I looked at Mits when I was shopping and I thought the picture quality was not equal to Sony's. I don't mind the big box and the picture is Great. Just my 2 cents. By the way making that decission was the biggest nightmare I have ever had just too many options.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Consumer Reports top rated a Sony, but gave Mits the best reliability rating by a small margin. Buy what looks best to you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I bought my display today. I have a friend that works at Magnolia Hi-Fi (I'm in Oregon) and he told me to come and let him see what he could do for me because they carry the full line of Mits and Sony. So I did. I also went to Fry's last night just to look at both the Sony and the Mits relatively side by side and I actually liked the Mits better after playing around and taking them off of their stupid coaxial loop.

Anyway, I get to Magnolia and Dave has the WS-55517 displayed in the same room as the new Sony 50A10 (at $2499.99) and a couple of Mits DLP's (62525 and 52725) After some looking, I just couldn't bring myself to look at the CRT set anymore. I began looking at the Sony 50A10 but I liked the DLP better because I thought it looked much more film like and because, at $2499, it was $500 over my budget and Dave couldn't do a thing on the price since they are selling so hot. Dave then advised me that he was clearing the 52725's out to make room for new models and there was a clearance price of $2499.99 on them. He then began looking in his computer and told me that he had an open box model that had hardly any time on it at all (less than 3 hours) and was in pristine condition. So, I looked it over and it didn't have a scratch on it. We spent about an hour with various DVD's that I am familiar with as well as variuos digital broadcasts from satellite and over the air. He then quoted me a price that was pretty much in my budget for the set. Needless to say, i am the proud new owner of the Mits WD-52725. Cnet gave it great reviews (well, the 525...same difference only the 725 has the nice anti-glare shield). Cnet said: "The bottom line:Overall, this is one of the best-performing HDTVs of its kind we've seen." I spent about 5 hours with the Avia disc and Video Essentials disc today and got it looking great. All in all, I don't know that I could have done any better for the money. Now it's time to go get a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna and start enjoying some over the air high def broadcasts. Thanks to all who replied.

ps I did buy a 4 year in home extended service plan that covers the unit from top to bottom including bulb replacements if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.