·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which DVD burner is recommended?

The Sony DRU500AX or Plextor PX504ASW?

Any other recommendations?

Which software package comes with them?

BTW, I notice that the Sony is out of stock on most sites listed in Pricegrabber. One vender said that Sony found a problem and was behind in shipping. Does anyone know about this? Ebay has lots of Sony's for auction.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well the Sony offers DVD- and DVD+, the Plextor only has DVD+. Either format is fine but some players handle the + better than the - or the other way around. With the Sony you can do all the formats. The problem with the Sony's was with cheap or generic media, I'm pretty sure it was fixed with a firmware update. The plextor CDR drives I've used have been extremely reliable so I would imagine their DVD drives are good as well. The software packages for all DVD burners generally have NERO, Record Now Max for straight burns and some kind of authoring/home movie software. They're usually okay but the really good software is going to cost extra.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you don't mind getting a DVD-R/RW drive (without +R/RW support), the Pioneer 105 is an excellent value. These can be had for as low as $150-$175 after rebate. And with the latest firmware hack, it supports 2x burning on all media, and up to 12x ripping from DVD. The OEM version usually come with some version of Nero.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.