AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL GUESS WHAT?....

my 10 year-old Sony 57 inch XBR rear projection TV finally crapped out.

so here in the middle of this recession I am now in the market.

I went to Best Buy today and narrowed it down to maybe two options, (based on what my eye perceived as the best picture) I do not want a plasma, I love these two sets because they are natural looking and VERY bright. Can you please give me your thoughts on these. The Sony is great and I am partial to Sony. The Samsung is really nice and I think newer technology (backlit LED-LCD) but at $3K it's almost twice the price so not sure if it's worth it (can't compare these 2 side by side, the Samsung is in the "Magnolia Room")
I am very impressed with the backlit LED-LCD sets, I have a temporary 46 inch Sharp backlit LED-LCD in my room now (bought it over the weekend just to see the hockey game) and the picture is stunning (albiet the screen is too small).

Also do you think I should wait until more of the backlit LED sets come out, the salesman told me more are coming soon maybe in a few weeks? I would love to see the newest backlit LED-LCD sets from Sony but BB says they are not out yet and don't know when they are coming in. The problem is, BB is currently offering three years financing with no interest and that's really tempting in this economy. (this deal could be off at any time). Anyway, see below; throw out some thoughts and help me decide...

A. Sony - BRAVIA 55 inch / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

$1,709 - model KDL55EX500 shown here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...X500&cp=1&lp=1

B. Samsung - 55 inch / 1080p / 240Hz / LED-LCD HDTV

$3,100 - Model: UN55B8500XFXZA shown here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9383785

·
Registered
17 Posts
i was going to get the samsung after i thought my LG was going to have lip sync problems. (it didn't, thankmy lucky stars) but what steered me away from samsung was something about bad capacitors? I dunno how prelevant that is in newer models, but they say samsung has a rep for bad caps. So google that, and tell me wht you think?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you're looking at spending $3100 for an LED-LCD, why not save $100 bucks and pick up the 60EX700? You get 5 extra inches, keep the LED-LCD feature, and you get the Sony brand that you are partial to.

I own that set and it is great. There seems to be mixed reviews, but so far I think the majority has been positive. There's also discussion now where the panel may be UV2A. Anyway, even disregarding what may or may not be, I think the value is great.

I think you can order the sets from their site, you should be able to get the same financing deal. If it doesn't work to your liking, you can always exchange for the other TV and from what I know keep the original finance terms (don't quote me on that, I'd check with a BB rep).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts