AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the Sony KDL46XBR4 and the Samsung LNT4671F. Wanted to know opinions, experiences, etc. I like the looks of both, the samsung seems to have a better black representation but the sony had a brighter, more real to life picture. The price difference really does not matter to me but i just want a good TV. Any advice/opinions will be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sony hands down the better set.

CD

·
Registered
192 Posts
Samsung all the way.

Sony is nice also but you have to pay extra for a well known name.

If you see a blu-ray movie the two side by side, you would not see a difference! But the money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Was thinking about returning my 71f for the xbr4 seeing BB has a decent deal on it, but with the blurring problems people have been mentioning while gaming I think Iam gonna pass on it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I had the same question, only for 52" screens. After spending a long time reading here, looking at the sets and reading tea leaves I ended up with the Samsung LN-T5265. Just too many issues with the 120Hz processing for no real gain that I can see to move to the 71 series. The Sony was more expensive and in the end no better for my purposes. Having lived with the set for 3 weeks or so now I couldn't be happier with my decision. Ended up spending less than $2K (remember this is for the 52"). If you want to spend more that's your decision, but it seems to me that for 80% (or more) of the population there is simply no real reason to do so...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halvie, just to let you know the xbr4 at circuit city is cheaper. Online they are 2699.99 and on best buy they are 3099.99 and best buy mailed me a 10% off coupon but they wouldnt take it because the TV was already on sale. I took it to Circuit City and they are willing to give me the sale price and honor the best buy coupon.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Overall display quality and 120Hz performance and frame interpolation are pretty closely matched in these brands. Not exactly the same, just equivalent in most applications.

Then Samsung is cheaper.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmm so how about the Samsung 71 series versus the 81 series? huge price difference but is the picture quality all that different? I understand the 81 uses LED and that's about it as far as advancements over the 71.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as the glossy screen on the samsung how much glare do you get from it, i have a window directly opposite of the TV.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haro4eva /forum/post/12849704

As far as the glossy screen on the samsung how much glare do you get from it, i have a window directly opposite of the TV.

Once the tv is on the glare vanishes. I was trying to decide between the same two tvs (sony + sammy). I chose the samsung for a few reasons; deep blacks and the look. The blacks are so deep it can look like the tv is off when its on. This is the best looking tv (aside from PQ). The blue light, glossy black everything.......just a beauty to look at when the powers off. I will never get a matte screen again. Don't get me wrong the sony is a great looking tv, but the samsung is the kind of picture I prefer.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would say the Sony, just due to the fact that none of the three 46" inchers I got from Samsung worked properly out of the box. HDMI issues, clouds, flashlights, and unresponsive customer service. Heck, just during my 50+ days with those sets, there were countless firmware upgrades, none of which worked. Samsung is king of firmware due to the fact they rush the products to market, and let us be the beta tester. I finally got sick of the headaches of the Sammy 3 thousand dollar strobe light and tried the XBR4. Best decision I have ever made. It works perfectly out of the box, and has not a single flashlight or cloud. The HDMI ports work (all of them), and never ever have gotten a single flash. The build quality is much more solid on the Sony too. The glossy screen of the Sammy was not much of an issue as some have claimed. After owning both tvs for approximately 2 months, I can honestly say the only thing I preferred on the Sammy was the signal strenght indicator, and the menus are easier to use until you are acclimated to the Sony.

I know some have experienced the smear of the XBR, but my set does not exhibit this trait whatsoever. I have tried repetitively to replicate it and have been unable to do so. Don't let a few bad apples sway your purchasing decisions.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/12850091

I would say the Sony, just due to the fact that none of the three 46" inchers I got from Samsung worked properly out of the box. HDMI issues, clouds, flashlights, and unresponsive customer service. Heck, just during my 50+ days with those sets, there were countless firmware upgrades, none of which worked. Samsung is king of firmware due to the fact they rush the products to market, and let us be the beta tester. I finally got sick of the headaches of the Sammy 3 thousand dollar strobe light and tried the XBR4. Best decision I have ever made. It works perfectly out of the box, and has not a single flashlight or cloud. The HDMI ports work (all of them), and never ever have gotten a single flash. The build quality is much more solid on the Sony too. The glossy screen of the Sammy was not much of an issue as some have claimed. After owning both tvs for approximately 2 months, I can honestly say the only thing I preferred on the Sammy was the signal strenght indicator, and the menus are easier to use until you are acclimated to the Sony.

I know some have experienced the smear of the XBR, but my set does not exhibit this trait whatsoever. I have tried repetitively to replicate it and have been unable to do so. Don't let a few bad apples sway your purchasing decisions.
r1dude57 - I was 99.9% ready to pull the trigger on the XBR4 until I came across the smearing thread. I'm curious, did you try replicating the smearing problem using Fudohr's test?

I would be very interested in knowing about your experience with this set as I intend to use it as a PC monitor, primarily for gaming and watching movies.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've been looking at the Sony 46 XBR4 , 4671 & 5271. In the end, i chose the xbr4 because i didn't want to get into a set with an inherent problem such as the problems with AMP. There are currently no fixes for it that totally solve the problem. With the Sony, i don't have as much to worry about. Sure there's the smearing problem and the clouding issue that's hit & miss on these sets, but i'd rather deal with that than with judder/AMP issues on the Samsung's.

Picture quality wise. It's almost dead even, but i have to say the exact store demos and POTC 3 on both sets sold me on the XBR. I wasn't worried about price, i just wanted the better of the 3 choices i had narrowed down. In all, i ended up ordering my XBR4 yesterday for 23 benjamins which makes me extremely happy.

If money is an issue, go with Samsung. If you want PQ, then YOU decide what looks best to YOU. Amazon has the 4669 for 17 benjamins refurb'd. This is basically the same set with a matte-finish that doesn't have all the glare of the 71.

Best of luck on your choice...either one will be awesome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reading all of your opinions and that 20 page thread leaves me in the same place i was. It seems as these TV's are almost identical but it comes down to the bezel you like. I am almost tempted to get both, try them, and return which ever doesn't look as good in the area its going. We'll see, i will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haro4eva /forum/post/12852521

Reading all of your opinions and that 20 page thread leaves me in the same place i was. It seems as these TV's are almost identical but it comes down to the bezel you like. I am almost tempted to get both, try them, and return which ever doesn't look as good in the area its going. We'll see, i will keep you all updated.

SOUND&VISION BEST TWO TV or PIONEER AND SAMSUNG 71 AND 81.go to xbox post pic and u will see what the samsung look like.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy555 /forum/post/12853087

SOUND&VISION BEST TWO TV or PIONEER AND SAMSUNG 71 AND 81.go to xbox post pic and u will see what the samsung look like.

Yes, Samsung 71. I need to have one.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts