AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony Electronics unveiled Thursday a Vaio desktop computer that includes a DVD drive and TV tuner along with built-in recording technology.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5959290.html

The Vaio Digital Studio PC features a Giga Pocket Personal Video Recorder and allows consumers to watch TV programs streamed from cable or other analog sources onto the monitor and to record home videos or TV programs onto the hard drive.

Digital video content can be exported from the hard drive and written to a DVD using DVD-RW technology. The exported video can then be viewed on a big-screen television or, for the mobile user, on a DVD-equipped notebook computer, the company said.

--------------------------------------------------------

Wish it worked with HDTV....

cheers

Eric

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hmm, this looks interesting. I always wondered what happened to the V/A part in VAIO; originally the whole idea of this line was to do TV/computer integration.

My brother has an old Pentium classic VAIO system with rca jacks on the front of the case, and lots of tv in/out options (IO, get it? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ). Unfortunately, they were ahead of their time, and by the time the technology caught up, they were refocused on laptops & standard PCs.

It's good to see them getting back in the video PC game, although I wonder if they really add much over a custom/off-the-shelf system. Anybody see any killer apps for this?

------------------

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. -Ivanova, B5

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have one of the early Sony VAIO's with video as well. It's humorous that these were forgotten in the writeups about the new one.

The early video-audio systems used ATI All-in-Wonders as their video cards -- a special mod set up with ATI allowed them to have both front and back audio jacks plug into a daughter-board that connected to the AIW. I'm expecting something similar this time.

The question is whether we can do just as well for less with off-the-shelf AIW Radeons and such.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.