AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I am finalizing my front projection system, for which the Sony VPL-VW50 will be the centerpiece. As of now, I am sifting through various screen gains/viewing cones to get the optimal blend for my system. However, this has been somewhat challenging due to the widely varying ANSI lumen ratings I am seeing on the VW50. For example, I have seen a 800/485 ANSI lumens rating on this forum for High and Low Lamp mode respectively, but I also have product sheets from Sony quoting 1,200 ANSI lumens. Anyone have any definite knowledge on what the true ANSI lumen ratings are for this projector?

Thanks to all for your help!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sony arrives at the 1200 lumen rating by measuring it a totally unbalanced mode with an very large excess of green, at minimum throw and in high bulb mode. You'd never want to watch a movie this way. Sony isn't the only manufacturer to do this - most manufacturers inflate brightness and contrast specs. There are some exceptions to this, but Sony is not one of them.

If you want to use low bulb mode and think 500 lumens is too low, I don't think this pj will meet those parameters for you after a few hundred hours of use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan /forum/post/0

IIRC the Pearl spec is 900 ANSI Lumens

Is that in high bulb mode?

Also, I am assuming 500 lumens doesn't work for me based on the foot-lambert calculations I got from Da-lite. 500 Lumens would translate into 21.3 foot-lamberts if I used the Pearlescent surface Da-lite offers. My understanding is that a dedicated HT with complete light control is usually 20 foot-lamberts. Since I will have more ambient light than this most of the time (for day viewing obviously and I don't like to watch movies in complete darkness at night), I thought 21.3 foot-lamberts was cutting it a little close. 900 lumens would be much better, that would get me around 38.4 foot-lamberts using the same screen. At 900, I might even be able to go with a lower gain to get my viewing angle up.

I really like this projector (and can get a considerable discount), so I suppose I could stick with high lamp mode during the day and low lamp mode at night? Maybe I just stick with high-lamp mode all the time?

Love the Sony rating. Most AVR manufacturers do the same thing with wattage ratings-- why should projector be any different!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.