AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, after a mere 4 months in operation and with only 109 hours on the bulb, my brand new Sony VPL-VW50 projector died.

It kept shutting itself off and the ON/STANDBY light would turn red and blink 6 times. Referring to the manual, I was informed that meant the unit had electrical problems.

I contacted Sony and was told I had to ship the unit to Laredo Texas -- at my own expense. So, I had to disconnect everything, schlep it down to the UPS store, and shell out $250 for shipping and insurance.

I know they have received the unit but I've yet to hear anything from them.

Not impressed with Sony's warranty so far!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I created a similar Sony Pearl warantee thread here: .

I'm not sure what it will take to force Sony to spend money on making warantee customers happy. My one competitive experience (Toshiba) was vastly better.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
How did you ship it, next day, ground etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After waiting for 2 weeks, my projector was returned to me.

I opened the box and everything seemed fine. The only documentation was a packing slip that stated a part had been replaced.

I set it back up and everything worked fine for about 3 hours.

Then it happened again! The darn thing shut itself off, made a bunch of clicking noises, then just buzzed like something had short-circuited while the ON/STANDBY light glowed a solid red.

So then I tried two different HDMI sources and the same thing still happened. It's definitely the projector.

Of course, it's Friday evening so I have to wait until Monday to call Sony. And I'm almost positive all they're going to do is tell me I have to send it back in.

This piece of crap is about to go in the garbage!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoondog2 /forum/post/0

How did you ship it, next day, ground etc?

Fedex ground to ship mine from Texas to one of those really cold sates whose second letter is "i" ( WI or MI... Pretty sure it was WI) was a little less than $40, IIRC.

It got there in about three days.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
611 Posts
seanro good luck with Sony Laredo service center. I had a HS10 that I had to send back 4 times for the same problem. The first time I paid for it but after that I refused to since they were not able to fix the problem. They never did get it fixed so they had to give me a new one.

Dale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts