AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has any experience with this display. I've been looking at the 42" NEC ED and came across this set. I searched the forum and didn't see any information. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The picture for analog channels on my pfm-42v1 is teriible. I have COX cable digital box and I am using s-video input. The digital channels and DVD is ok. I had the COX technician look at the signals/connections etc and everything was fine. He mentioned that I would be better with a digital satellite box.

Any inputs from the experts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a new member whose been lurking for several weeks, soaking up as much information as possible. Last week I bought the Sony PFM 42V1 sight unseen as my first HD set. I have absolutely no buyer's remorse and even though I'm new to HD, I could recommend this panel to members with similar needs.

My main criteria were overall picture quality first; standard broadcast quality 2nd, and cost was third. As this is our primary TV source, located in a kitchen - rec room, I wanted to have good peripheral vision and the ability to occasionally view as close as 5’ or 6’.

I went out to the Best Buys and Circuit Citys and came back to the forum with favorites only to learn that without knowing how each set was hooked up and adjusted, my auditioning probably wouldn’t be that helpful. So I concentrated on reviews and forum members opinions. After a couple of weeks the review that seemed to hold out the most promise for success was Robert Wiley’s review of the PFM 42V1. What caught my attention was his opinion that this panel displayed STD as well as any he had seen. I looked on the web and the price seemed to be right. I was worried that the “screen door effect†would be present because it is ED not HD, but I hoped that because of Wiley’s enthusiasm and the set’s properties that it wouldn’t be a problem. I found an “open box†special on the web for a very good price and ordered it.

The online retailer experience was first rate. I paid a competitive price for delivery. I received the panel four days later in perfect condition. I’m hooked up to my Comcast HD box with a component to 15 pin conversion cable, and my DVD player is connected by S Video.

The analog broadcasts range from acceptable to fairly good. The digital broadcasts range from good to very good and the HD is as expected – awesome. The overall picture is bright, good coloration and plenty of darkness capability. I haven’t really had time to get in and learn how to properly adjust the unit; I’ve just mainly played around. The big relief has been the complete lack of a screen door effect even as close as 5’. The negatives have been the inability to adjust screen size in HD mode, and Sony’s stretch mode isn’t supposed to be as good as the competition. By the way, my fix on the stretch mode was to enlarge the picture vertically and shift the picture down a couple of inches and that seems to have reduced the bloating in the middle.

This unit is never going to be a big favorite in this forum because there is no consumer equivalent model to audition; mores the pity. I hope these comments have been helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi dbrmis,

looks like your experience has being similar to mine where the analog channels are so-so. ( I have hooked mine to a COX digital cable box) Is it because the monitor does not have a tuner?

Where did you buy the component to 15 pin conversoin cable and how much did you pay for it? Does the analog channels picture quality improve with a 15 pin connector?

" I’m hooked up to my Comcast HD box with a component to 15 pin conversion cable, and my DVD player is connected by S Video."

thanks

sandeep

·
Registered
4 Posts
tv_viewer,

This cable is readily available but pricey; the cable installer told me they used to sell for $300+. I bought mine online for $130.00 down from $170.00; I think the cable is described as a 3 pin RCA to 15 pin VGA. The lack of a tuner is a non issue.

Regarding the analog, I think I gave you the wrong impression - Every signal is quite watchable. Where I live I do not get an over-the-air signal so everything is delivered by cable. The local station's analog feeds were not that good even with my 3 year old 36" flat screen Sony. The picture now is not quite as good but that was to be expected according to all the feedback on this forum. This was the trade off that I was prepared for and have been surprised at how small it has been. I'm on Comcast's digital service and most of my viewing is excellent and comparable to my old CRT, and of course HD is outstanding.

I bought this set because ED is allegedly better that true HD on STD feeds, and I assumed that for the foreseeable future the best STD/HD compromise was what I wanted. According to the Robert Wiley review this panel was best of the best. I had no reason or ability to test his judgment so I took the leap and bought the set; and I’m glad that I did. By my eyes, I suspect that you and I have one of the true plasma bargains out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi dbrmis,

Do you have a pointer to the Robert Wiley review that you refer to.

I agree with you that besides some graininess that I see for analog channels, the picture quality with digital channels and DVD is superb. Even I get my analog channels thru the COX cable box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I swear that I have seen a cable like that from one of the sponsers for about $20. I was thinking of getting one myself.

So does this screen have any posterization issues or the clay face (maybe the same?). How soes this compare to teh Samsung/Akai unit discussed in another thread?

·
Registered
5 Posts
kawa900stx,

I have the akai - costco unit also, but it is still in a box. Once I install it in my game room. I'll be able to compare and share my opinion of its comparision to the sony pfm42v1.

The issue I think with the Sony is the signal not the display.

If you have more info on the $20 cable for RCA to 15pin VGA converson, would appreciate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
tv_viewer

try this link ( I hope this is ok, they are a sponser), if not mod, I can delete it.

I think this is what you are looking for.

I also have the Costco, AKAI, and can't say that I am truly satisfied with theh PQ. But it may be my not knowing what to expect. I have seen a Dawoo with a DISH feed and it looked pretty good. Mine is not so great, using either SVID or composite. I am trying to get a reciever that has component or the DVI, but haven't found one. I am thinking about buying a Samsung 931 to see if the DVD improve with the DVI. I am using a Phillips DVD recorder using the Prog Comp, and some titles look good, otheres not good. Nemo looked great. Seems like with darker scenes the Akai performs poorly. And I have been following the thread started by Elvis on the Akai and made the SM tweeks. Helped but still not what I want.

I would like to know your opinions on the Sony vs Akai as soon as you get it set up, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/h...s.html#hd15rgb

·
Registered
4 Posts
TV viewer,

The review is at the Plasma TV Buying Guide. I tried to give you the link but the rules of the forum prevent me until I've posted 5 times. You shouldn't have any trouble if you use Google and put in the title of the guide. By the way, I put stock in the review because members of the forum have generally spoken favorably of the guide and their reviews.

I would be apprehensive about a $20.00 cable. The one I have is big and heavy, with 3 component cables at one end merging with a VGA 15 pin at the other end. I’m sure they come at various price points but $20.00 suggests a mass produced, common cable and this isn’t.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
kawa900stx,

You asked about posterization issues or the clay face like images. My only experience was with a recently reissued late 30s version of Robin Hood on my DVD player. On some closeups I noticed something in the faces but it was rare and didn't bother me. I

I've had the panel for less than a week and I'm sure some problems or shortcomings will crop up but they haven't yet. As I've mentioned this is my first Panel and I'm coming from a very good (but way too big) 36" Sony. If I had come from a smaller screen I might be less impressed with the contrast and detail of this picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dbrmis

We are coming off of looking at a 25" old CRT, nothing special. So maybe some of my issues are the jump in size, but I think some may be the quality of the Samsung/Akai in general.

About the cable, I do not know anything about the quality of them. Maybe a post somehere in this forum about the quality of RAM products might be in order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I had this Sony PMF 42V1 for 2 months and I really like it. I use the svideo cable from my dish network receiver to the DVDO I scan pro and using the Progressive scan out to the VGA input in the plasma.

I seen a big improvement by using the DVDO I scan rather than just connect the s video straight to the plasma.

The picture quality is very good, almost near dvd quality on some of the channel like HBO, showtime etc.

Overall I am satisfied with the setup.

Now DVDO suppose to introduce new DVDO i scan HD which has a DVI-D output. but it still quite expensive.

I got the Component to VGA cable from ramelectronic and it's pretty good cable too. you can use the icon RAM in the AVS forum alliance member on top of the page.

Hopefully this help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.