AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on at Sony Pictures Home Video????

They have made some great reference type Blu-Rays (Black Hawk Down, Resident Evil: Apocalypse & Monster House), but they are also sending out some very Bad Signs

1- Re-Transfering FIFTH ELEMENT and needing to re-release

2- Postponing or Canceling movie releases like GLORY, MARIE ANTOINETTE and many more

3- Very limited Blu-Ray movie releases when compared to FOX, Warners and the upcoming Disney titles.

So what is the deal with Sony Pictures? They ought to be supporting Blu-Ray better. Hell Universal is supporting HD DVD way better than Sony is supporting their own format.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Sony is probably retooling these near releases with AVC now. What has Universal done lately? They have three releases scheduled over the next six weeks, Half-baked, Brokeback and Hollywoodland. Whoop-de-do.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd /forum/post/0

They have made some great reference type Blu-Rays (Black Hawk Down, Resident Evil: Apocalypse & Monster House), but they are also sending out some very Bad Signs

2- Postponing or Canceling movie releases like GLORY, MARIE ANTOINETTE and many more

3- Very limited Blu-Ray movie releases when compared to FOX, Warners and the upcoming Disney titles.

So what is the deal with Sony Pictures? They ought to be supporting Blu-Ray better. Hell Universal is supporting HD DVD way better than Sony is supporting their own format.

It is not new news that Sony's launch of Blu-ray was poor. So for Sony to be re-releasing the Fifth Element I feel shows another step in the right direction. It shows that they are now concentrating on quality vs. quantity. I also feel this will be a nice customer satisfaction gesture. I can only hope HD-DVD does this with some of their botched releases (Field of Dreams, Excalibur, The Breakfast Club, etc.).

I think what Sony is doing with its releases is releasing them strategically. As you can see right now there is a large amount of BD discs scheduled over the next 60 to 90 days. I think they will save many of their releases to fill in weeks where there may be a bit of a lull in releases from the other studios. I also think they will save the Spiderman Franchise for this upcoming Fall.

They do not want to make the mistake Universal made with HD-DVD and release a large amount of their best titles immediately. Essentially Universal has releases most of its modern hits already. Sure they still have Jurassic Park, Jaws, BTTF, etc., but I doubt we will see those anytime soon. By doing what Universal has done, you have the problem you have now with HD-DVD, essentially no new releases. They blew through their catalog quickly and now have to wait to put out other titles. Sony's/BDA's strategy is to have a constant flow of quality movies coming out week over week.

This war is like a marathon in a way. HD-DVD sprinted out of the gate and is now low on energy and Blu-ray limped out of the gate, reached a nice pace and is maintaining that pace. It's the classic tortoise and the hare situation. It's all a strategy.

~Josh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i really don't mind sony re-doing FIFTH ELEMENT, but all the postponed discs are a bad sign.

it's strange to see other studios than Sony with higher release counts than them.

title for title, other studios have released more than Sony.

and to be honest, i wouldnt mind some of the great sony movies coming out now. why is that a bad thing? catalog titles sell over time, not just upon release.

I work in music business, so the logic isn't as applicable. but i understand why it would be foolish to rush every title as player penetration is important issue.

·
Registered
16,420 Posts
Sony is starting over from scratch, if they've learned anything. New AVC encodings, and perhaps taking a hard look at Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA (with the delays in getting DTS MA decoding, perhaps they should lean towards Dolby TrueHD for now to support their PS3). They should, so we can get 24 bit audio instead of just 16 bit LPCM.

Dan

·
Banned
766 Posts
The PCM sounds just amazing to me. Every movie should have that. TrueHD is not that big of an improvement. Just check out every movie that had PCM and every movie that has TrueHD. I personally prefer PCM to TrueHD. To me it just sounds tigher and cleaner.

·
Registered
16,420 Posts
Unless there's enough extra space for a full 24 bit LPCM track, a Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA lossless packing of the same 24 bit LPCM data will actually take up less space than an uncompressed 16 bit LPCM track for 5.1 channels; a little more for higher sampling rates and/or more channels.

We have not been able to compare a 24 bit LPCM track to an encoding of the same master to either Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA. The differences you hear probably have more to do with the source soundtrack used for the authoring of the disc rather than the encoding type.

Dan

·
Registered
634 Posts
I wonder whether there'll be an explanation for the quick re-release of the Fifth Element.

Something like: "Yeah, we screwed up. We thought we could just feed you crap because we were gonna win this war anyway.

When HD DVD turned out to actually sell, we started to realize that we first need to put in an effort and really win the war before we can go back to not putting in an effort and feeding you crap again."

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags /forum/post/0

What has Universal done lately? They have three releases scheduled over the next six weeks, Half-baked, Brokeback and Hollywoodland. Whoop-de-do.

What does Universal have to do with the OP's question? Jeez, you guys crack me up.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0

They do not want to make the mistake Universal made with HD-DVD and release a large amount of their best titles immediately. Essentially Universal has releases most of its modern hits already. Sure they still have Jurassic Park, Jaws, BTTF, etc., but I doubt we will see those anytime soon. By doing what Universal has done, you have the problem you have now with HD-DVD, essentially no new releases. They blew through their catalog quickly and now have to wait to put out other titles. Sony's/BDA's strategy is to have a constant flow of quality movies coming out week over week.

This war is like a marathon in a way. HD-DVD sprinted out of the gate and is now low on energy and Blu-ray limped out of the gate, reached a nice pace and is maintaining that pace. It's the classic tortoise and the hare situation. It's all a strategy.

~Josh

What are the titles you think Universal should have waited on 'strategically'? what did you have in mind?

Do you work for Sony? How do you know what their strategy is with respect to flow? AFAIK, Sony Pictures had an awesome 2006 and releasing those titles Day-Date will have a huge impact on the format. same for Disney. I believe Sony, Disney and Fox just releasing their 2006 titles in 2007 on BD will be the most important differentiator for BD v. HD DVD. I am not sure if Sony has a catalog library that is as extensive as Universal. JMHO.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts

Quote:

...They do not want to make the mistake Universal made with HD-DVD and release a large amount of their best titles immediately. Essentially Universal has releases most of its modern hits already. Sure they still have Jurassic Park, Jaws, BTTF, etc., but I doubt we will see those anytime soon. By doing what Universal has done, you have the problem you have now with HD-DVD, essentially no new releases. They blew through their catalog quickly and now have to wait to put out other titles. Sony's/BDA's strategy is to have a constant flow of quality movies coming out week over week.

~Josh

Absolutely no sense of objectivity. Why is it constantly necessary to bash one format unfairly in order to elevate another? Each should stand on its own merits. Personally I think Field of Dreams, Excalibur and The Breakfast Club looked terrific. I have never seen The Fifth Element on Blu-ray so I will reserve comment.

Quote:
Robert Harris - Motion Picture Archivist:

Regarding the Breakfast Club:

The image is more highly resolved in every way, and yet there is nothing that jumps off the screen as might be found in other, especially more modern HD discs.

The establishing shot of the school actually takes on a softer look than I had previously noticed. For whatever reason, it simply wasn't sharp on film, and takes on precisely the same attribute in HD.

The good news is that the film is still a quality production that has stood the test of time, and most important, the HD disc replicates the look of the film properly.

The bottom line is that The Breakfast Club, while a fine film, was not at the time of release, nor is it now -- reference quality.

Regarding Field of Dreams:

"Unbelievable! It's more than perfect."

Universal's new HD DVD of Phil Robinson's Field of Dreams is everything that one could ask of a piece of home entertainment software.

This extremely literate film with a unique soul, captured on a tiny shiny disc is one of our cinematic treasures.

Short, sweet and to the point.

Cinema, captured perfectly for home video, with the look, feel and textures of film.

Field of Dreams is Extremely Highly Recommended.[/b]
Quote:
HD-DVD REVIEW, DVD Town Reviewer, John J. Puccio

Regarding Excalibur:

Understand, Boorman set out to make a dark and gritty film (these were the Dark Ages, after all). He sets most of his picture at night or inside dark castles or dark forests. Boorman meant "Excalibur" as a kind of medieval film noir. He was not after a pristine, crystal-clear look. So, as a result of the director's intent and perhaps the effects of time, "Excalibur" does not display the best-looking HD-DVD picture quality on disc, not by a long shot, but, as I've said, it probably comes pretty close to representing the film's original print, and that's what any good video reproduction should do.

We all need to be a little more educated about how a film originally looked and what the director intended before placing judgement on a transfer, whether it be Blu-ray or HD DVD. Some transfers do not represent what they should or could be and others do.

In addition, Universal has barely scratched the surface on its stellar catalog. Anyone truly interested in film must be scratching their head when they read that Universal has exhausted their catalog of "modern hits."

Just a little of what will be coming eventually exclusive to HD DVD. Please feel free to let me know if they only distributed a film on the list and will not have those rights for HD DVD.

1941 (1979) - Steven Spielberg

21 Grams (2003)

The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)

About a Boy (2002)

Always (1989) - Steven Spielberg

American Graffiti (1973)

American Pie (1999)

Anchorman (2004)

Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy (2002)

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Battlestar Galactica (2004)

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

Being John Malkovich (1999)

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Billy Elliot (2000)

The Blues Brothers (1980)

Brazil (1985)

The Brotherhood of the Wolf (2002)

Bruce Almighty (2003)

Cape Fear (1991)

Cape Fear (1962)

Cat People (1982)

Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Clay Pigeons (1998)

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

The Constant Gardener (2005)

Darkman (1990)

Death Becomes Her (1992)

Do the Right Thing (1989)

Double Indemnity (1944)

Dragonheart (1996)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Elizabeth (1998)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Far and Away (1992)

Flash Gordon (1980)

Fletch (1985)

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)

The Frighteners (1996)

The Game (1997)

Ghost Story (1981)

Gorillas in the Mist (1988)

Harry and the Hendersons (1987)

Harvey (1950)

The Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection:

The Birds (1963)

Family Plot (1976)

Frenzy (1972)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Marnie (1964)

Psycho (1960)

Rear Window (1954)

Rope (1948)

Saboteur (1942)

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Topaz (1969)

Torn Curtain (1966)

The Trouble with Harry (1955)

Vertigo (1958)

Inside Man (2006)

Jaws (1975)

The Jerk (1979)

Jurassic Park Trilogy (1993-2001)

Legend (1986)

Liar Liar (1997)

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Mask (1985)

Meet Joe Black (1998)

Meet the Fockers (2004)

Midnight Run (1988)

Munich (2005)

Notting Hill (1999)

October Sky (1999)

Out of Africa (1985)

Parenthood (1989)

Patch Adams (1998)

Peter Pan (2003)

The Pianist (2002)

The Producers (2005)

Psycho 2 (1983)

Psycho 3 (1986)

Psycho 4 - The Beginning (1991)

Reality Bites (1993)

The Red Violin (1998)

Ride with the Devil (1999)

The River (1984)

The River Wild (1994)

Rumble Fish (1983)

Scarface (1983)

Scent of a Woman (1992)

Schindler's List (1993)

Sixteen Candles (1984)

Slap Shot (1977)

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

Tremors (1989)

Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection (Various)

Videodrome (1983)

Weird Science (1985)

What Dreams May Come (1998)

..and that's just scratching the surface. You can't be serious in your comments. I love Blu-ray and HD DVD. I will buy the titles I want and look forward to adding more Blue and Red boxes to my shelf.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd /forum/post/0

These all seem like good things to me. Anybody that has seen the current edition of "The Fifth Element" would welcome a re-transfer, and the other postponements are likely to make sure they get those titles done right the first time. I have no problem waiting to get a great transfer & encode, as opposed to a rushed job.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:

It is not new news that Sony's launch of Blu-ray was poor. So for Sony to be re-releasing the Fifth Element I feel shows another step in the right direction. It shows that they are now concentrating on quality vs. quantity. I also feel this will be a nice customer satisfaction gesture. I can only hope HD-DVD does this with some of their botched releases (Field of Dreams, Excalibur, The Breakfast Club, etc.).

I think what Sony is doing with its releases is releasing them strategically. As you can see right now there is a large amount of BD discs scheduled over the next 60 to 90 days. I think they will save many of their releases to fill in weeks where there may be a bit of a lull in releases from the other studios. I also think they will save the Spiderman Franchise for this upcoming Fall.

~Josh

i suppose this may be the one good thing the war created. won't let SONY sink into complacency and get away with crap.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

Absolutely no sense of objectivity. Why is it constantly necessary to bash one format unfairly in order to elevate another? Each should stand on its own merits. Personally I think Field of Dreams, Excalibur and The Breakfast Club looked terrific. I have never seen The Fifth Element on Blu-ray so I will reserve comment.

We all need to be a little more educated about how a film originally looked and what the director intended before placing judgement on a transfer, whether it be Blu-ray or HD DVD. Some transfers do not represent what they should or could be and others do.

In addition, Universal has barely scratched the surface on its stellar catalog. Anyone truly interested in film must be scratching their head when they read that Universal has exhausted their catalog of "modern hits."

Just a little of what will be coming eventually exclusive to HD DVD. Please feel free to let me know if they only distributed a film on the list and will not have those rights for HD DVD.

1941 (1979) - Steven Spielberg

21 Grams (2003)

The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)

About a Boy (2002)

Always (1989) - Steven Spielberg

American Graffiti (1973)

American Pie (1999)

Anchorman (2004)

Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy (2002)

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Battlestar Galactica (2004)

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

Being John Malkovich (1999)

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Billy Elliot (2000)

The Blues Brothers (1980)

Brazil (1985)

The Brotherhood of the Wolf (2002)

Bruce Almighty (2003)

Cape Fear (1991)

Cape Fear (1962)

Cat People (1982)

Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Clay Pigeons (1998)

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

The Constant Gardener (2005)

Darkman (1990)

Death Becomes Her (1992)

Do the Right Thing (1989)

Double Indemnity (1944)

Dragonheart (1996)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Elizabeth (1998)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Far and Away (1992)

Flash Gordon (1980)

Fletch (1985)

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)

The Frighteners (1996)

The Game (1997)

Ghost Story (1981)

Gorillas in the Mist (1988)

Harry and the Hendersons (1987)

Harvey (1950)

The Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection:

The Birds (1963)

Family Plot (1976)

Frenzy (1972)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Marnie (1964)

Psycho (1960)

Rear Window (1954)

Rope (1948)

Saboteur (1942)

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Topaz (1969)

Torn Curtain (1966)

The Trouble with Harry (1955)

Vertigo (1958)

Inside Man (2006)

Jaws (1975)

The Jerk (1979)

Jurassic Park Trilogy (1993-2001)

Legend (1986)

Liar Liar (1997)

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Mask (1985)

Meet Joe Black (1998)

Meet the Fockers (2004)

Midnight Run (1988)

Munich (2005)

Notting Hill (1999)

October Sky (1999)

Out of Africa (1985)

Parenthood (1989)

Patch Adams (1998)

Peter Pan (2003)

The Pianist (2002)

The Producers (2005)

Psycho 2 (1983)

Psycho 3 (1986)

Psycho 4 - The Beginning (1991)

Reality Bites (1993)

The Red Violin (1998)

Ride with the Devil (1999)

The River (1984)

The River Wild (1994)

Rumble Fish (1983)

Scarface (1983)

Scent of a Woman (1992)

Schindler's List (1993)

Sixteen Candles (1984)

Slap Shot (1977)

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

Tremors (1989)

Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection (Various)

Videodrome (1983)

Weird Science (1985)

What Dreams May Come (1998)

..and that's just scratching the surface. You can't be serious in your comments. I love Blu-ray and HD DVD. I will buy the titles I want and look forward to adding more Blue and Red boxes to my shelf.

List a companies catalog of unanounced titles doesnt really show anything. There are several other studios and thousands of other unanounced titles. Im not sure what the point of this list is.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags /forum/post/0

Isn't this remark from the OP's post?

I apologize dpags. I should have gotten on the OP about it and not you. I think his question is valid about Sony, it just disheartens me to see almost every thread turn into a format war battle.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:

~Josh

Man, the s**t really gets thick around here, doesn't it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.