AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been discussed to death, but I bought a Sony 50" KF-50WE610 at the end of 2003, and in the last 2 months I began getting pink purple spots that looked like this:

Anyway, there was a thread somewhere on here that said to do the following, and it worked! Picture looks brand new once again! I've never taken a TV apart before but it was pretty easy if you take your time and pay attention.

Directions:

1- Remove back cover about 11 screws

2- Remove back metal plate 3 screws and 2 in the middle. Also remove black wire connections.

3- Remove fan 3 screws (just lay it down)

4-Lift up from the bottom and slide the audio/video unit foward. You will need to disconnect about 3 connectors between it and the optical block as you slide it foward.

5- The optical unit is held in by 3 phillips screws and you will need a long screwdriver to get to them. The unit will slid foward. Then remove the black cover on the unit (2 screws) and blow compressed air across all three lcd's.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield /forum/post/14250040

Is that TV NOT a flat panel? Where do you suggest this goes?

Yes it is a Flat Panel per se but it is what they consider a rear projection unit.

In any event, I thank you very much for this posting!!! I have a KDF-60XBR950 that has this very same problem, not sure if I can tackle this though it looks pretty tough for one person, but I might give it a try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks way worse than it is. You can do it; just be sure you're working in an area with plenty of light. My TV looks as good now as it did back in 2003. I can't tell you how happy I am how this turned out.

It seemed daunting to me at first - there are a couple of different versions out there; one is way more complex than the other and it involves tearing down quite a bit more of the tv. The one that I posted about is all that needed done for me.

The whole reason I started this thread is I've read from this site and other sites that "it only works 1 out of 10 times" and such; I had good success with it and thought it was pretty easy.

All you need is a long philips (at least a 6" driver) to do this, and about an hour of your time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield /forum/post/14251282

It looks way worse than it is. You can do it; just be sure you're working in an area with plenty of light. My TV looks as good now as it did back in 2003. I can't tell you how happy I am how this turned out.

It seemed daunting to me at first - there are a couple of different versions out there; one is way more complex than the other and it involves tearing down quite a bit more of the tv. The one that I posted about is all that needed done for me.

The whole reason I started this thread is I've read from this site and other sites that "it only works 1 out of 10 times" and such; I had good success with it and thought it was pretty easy.

All you need is a long philips (at least a 6" driver) to do this, and about an hour of your time.

Good luck!

Well for an hour of my time I think I will see if I can become another success story. I have noticed these spots for about 5 months now and I just thought that perhaps I had some gunk on the bulb or dust in the unit, after I cleaned the bulb unit to no avail, I just gave up. So it looks like I was about half right about the dust but would of never known just where to venture to find it. Much obliged!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read your entry on the 'blue/purple spots. I had the same issue.

Tried your fix; and 50 mins latter (I took my time).... FIXED.

That was a great spot remover. Thanks for the post. Now I can go back to enjoying my HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield /forum/post/14249568

I know this has probably been discussed to death, but I bought a Sony 50" KF-50WE610 at the end of 2003, and in the last 2 months I began getting pink purple spots that looked like this:

Anyway, there was a thread somewhere on here that said to do the following, and it worked! Picture looks brand new once again! I've never taken a TV apart before but it was pretty easy if you take your time and pay attention.

Directions:

1- Remove back cover about 11 screws

2- Remove back metal plate 3 screws and 2 in the middle. Also remove black wire connections.

3- Remove fan 3 screws (just lay it down)

4-Lift up from the bottom and slide the audio/video unit foward. You will need to disconnect about 3 connectors between it and the optical block as you slide it foward.

5- The optical unit is held in by 3 phillips screws and you will need a long screwdriver to get to them. The unit will slid foward. Then remove the black cover on the unit (2 screws) and blow compressed air across all three lcd's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Was wondering before I take apart my Sony, how long does this fix work. If it is only a couple of months, then is it really worth it? Once this dirt or matter starts getting on the lcd, won't it keep happening? Just curious...Thanks, TR

·
Registered
1 Posts
It works on mine. It took closer to 2 hours, but I had some other issues. I imagine, if I need to do it again, I can do it in an hour. Thank you for this informative site. you probably saved me about $2000 (or at least delayed it for a year or so).

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
On my newer Sony A3000 LCD RPTV you can reach your hand in and wipe the dust off the lens, mirror and inside of the screen through the portals on the sides. On my older GW3 I never had the dust issue show up, but that is good to know. Those spots that are shown in pics are simply very small dust particles that even for the naked eye they are hard to see, but the lens/optical block magnifies them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problems with my 42''. I tried this procedure and it worked great! My purple fingerprint spots are now gone. It really works. Take your time and follow these pictures. All it will cost you is a can of air. Worth it!!! So yes another success story here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you all use regular canned air from the office supply places, or something different? My GWIV still looks great except for this same issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the exact same TV with the exact same problem! On screens with a white background, I see the exact same blotches as shown in the original poster's picture. I'm heading out now to get some compressed air and then it's time to take my TV apart. I'll post my results when I finish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally got up the nerve to do this after several months of threatening. I have an air compressor with a small blower nozzle which I used instead of canned air since I heard it could leave residue behind. The only problem I encountered was getting the flat ribbon cables seated all the way when I reinstalled. Didn't get good connection the first try and the TV had vertical red pinstripes when I turned it back on. After I fixed that all was truly well. It is amazing how little dust actually makes its way into the optical block after seeing how much accumulates in the fans and vents. Anyway my picture is now back to 100% and I am a very happy camper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this and it helped a little but not much. How much air did people with success use? Did you really get it in there and go to town? Is it dust on the top part or bottom part of the lcds that causes this? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried this fix, it was fairly simple. It helped a little but did not remove all of the pink/purple spots. Next time I will try a lens cloth on the lens. One note to make things a little easier. When trying to remove those spade wire connectors, there is a small tab in the center of the connector, if you press that they slide off very easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try to find a compressor blower tip that looks like a large ball inflation needle. Make sure to blow between every gap on every lens that can be seen. Still perfect after 10 months and I'll be more than happy to do it again if needed. I love the picture on these sets and I'm not ready to switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just tried this and I have no picture. It started out with some crazy lines changing colors then the TV went dark. I tried different inputs (PS3, Cable Box...), but I can't even get the onscreen menu to show up.

I guess I have to take it apart again and see if something came loose. ##%$!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Something did come loose in that AV box...little flat chip connector thing with thin blue wires. Anyway, I did get it working but still have the purple spots. I will try it again with a compressor and see if that works.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, so I used my air compressor and it definitely got better, not perfect but definitely about 90% less purple spots. So, this technique does work, I guess you just have to take a few minutes while you burst air onto the LCDs.

I've had the TV for 7 years...it's 50inch, HD (inputs suck, but it'll work for now). I'll upgrade when they come out with the PS3/3DLED/Internet/Computer/Phone/toaster TV... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts