AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching the Sony KE-50XS910, which is currently being sold at Costco. I'm not allowed to say the price here, but it seems like a good deal and, of course, there's that great return policy there.

I did a search on this model, and the results were kind of inconclusive. The only thing people had to say about it was "the XBR950 is better - get that instead." But I think the price difference between the XS910 and the XBR950 is pretty big - especially with the deal at Costco. So, taking into consideration the price difference, what do you think of this plasma? The Costco site says that it has a built-in ATSC/QAM tuner and DVI input, which are plusses. I have read that the glass is supposedly better in the XBR950 and that the black levels are slightly better.

If you're able to check out the costco site and tell me what you think of that price, I'd really appreciate it. Or, if there is a better value out there, like a Panasonic or something that has better picture quality in that class, then please let me know. Thanks in advance for your input!

· Registered
55 Posts
It's a horrible price considering other authorized dealers are selling it and the 50in Panny Viera for much less. In addtional, you would have to add sales tax.

Check out the 50in Panasonic 7uy for ~$2-2.5K less.

· Registered
7,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PCHOne
It's a horrible price considering other authorized dealers are selling it and the 50in Panny Viera for much less. In addtional, you would have to add sales tax.

Check out the 50in Panasonic 7uy for ~$2-2.5K less.
I second that.

For the Price I wouldn't get that Sony.

For the Returning Policy... That's a different Story. :D :D :D

The KE-50XS910 uses Pioneer Glass and "inferior" electronics.

While the KDE-50XBR950 NEC Glass and superior electronics.

· Registered
399 Posts
I personally would stay away from all Sony plasmas. Way too many terrible experiences posted here combined with my personal experience of almost every Sony product I've purchased has broken.

They used to be top of the line, in my opinion their quality has gone straight in the toilet over the years.

· Registered
700 Posts
I have never had a plasma but i can say that by far, Sony has been the best tv i have owned over and over again for years. You get what you pay for. I have had several Sony's. I would check out the 955 Sony plasma as it seems to getting alot of looks right now.

· Registered
348 Posts
archie gates - if you like the Sony's, look at their newer models KDE-XS955's.

Prices on line are comparable with the Pana's and the PQ of the new models are great - you can check with your local BB CC stores and see for yourself - then you decide

Right now it is the XS955 and the Pana Consumer model for me (just waiting for the newer version of the Pana before I decide by December)

· Registered
607 Posts
zoro - not worth it for their prices? The xs955s fall in line with the pannys (and pios) - especially once you consider the rich featureset.

This board is pretty funny - a lot of people very reluctant to let go of set views and really investigate new models. Like everyone rushing out to buy the new panny without even giving a second thought to the competitive xs955s. Sure...I might still go for the new panny but I will fully investigate all my other options as well. Things change and every new set from every manufacturer deserves a fresh look without historical bias. Just my two cents.

overtime

· Registered
32,174 Posts
"Like everyone rushing out to buy the new panny without even giving a second thought to the competitive xs955s."

I very much disagree that's happening. There are many people here interested in the new Sony.

· Registered
607 Posts
I know of 2 people here who have ordered the Sony. How many have ordered a 7uy? I haven't counted but I'd guess lots...and I don't think I've seen anyone of those post, "I investigated these two sets and went with the panny."

It isn't cost or a commercial v. consumer thing. Add an HDMI or DVI blade to the 7uy (like everyone is doing) and its almost a wash.

· Registered
607 Posts
zoro - I was not aware that you had evaluated the xs955s...maybe I just missed your posts in that specific thread?

If you have seen this specific model (and not just any sony plasma) and you didn't like the PQ then that is certainly within your rights. Most of the people posting in that thread who have eyed them with a critical eye towards purchase have had favorable impressions of the set as compared to the Pio and Pan consumer models.

If you haven't seen this model then I think its a disservice to the original poster to dismiss all Sonys as an option.

overtime

· Registered
10,456 Posts
overtime!!I think there is a confusion, I am talking about sony's plasma at costco, as this thread is about!

I am confused too, 50xs910, vs 50xs955 plasma?pls update me?

· Registered
10,456 Posts
here is the model, i am talking about:

Sony 50" WEGAâ„¢

HDTV-Ready 16:9

Plasma Television

1280 x 768

Built-in NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuner

View Digital Images using Memory Stick Media®

$[MSRP ONLY]

Item # 835816

Shipping & Handling included

The Sony 50-inch plasma TV has a stunning, ultra-slim, semi-floating glass panel design. Enjoy incredible picture enhancement with Sony WEGA Engine™ System. Features CineMotion™ technology so movies always look their best, Memory Stick® media to view digital images and a built-in ATSC/QAM tuner for high definition broadcast.

Display:

Screen Size: 50" diagonal

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Resolution: 1280 x 768

Audio:

TruSurround® Sound SRS® 3D audio effect

Speaker output: 2-way side speaker system

Built-in stereo speakers

Channel Skip/Add

Inputs/Outputs:

DVI HDTV interface: Rear x 1

Composite video input: Rear x 2, front x 1

S-video input: Rear x 2, front x 1

Audio output: (Variable and fixed) x 1

General:

Memory Stick® Media Playback

Sony WEGA Engineâ„¢ System

CineMotionâ„¢ Technology

Block Noise Smootherâ„¢ Technology

Multi-language on-screen display

V Chip Parental Control

Energy Star complaint

Timers: Sleep/On/Off

Power requirements: AC120V, 60Hz

Includes: Instruction manual, (2) AA batteries and remote control

Dimensions:

56.5" W x 4.88" D x 34.69"H

Weight: 134 lbs.

Standard shipping via White Glove* furniture carrier is included in the quoted price. "White Glove" delivery includes inside delivery, uncrating or unpacking, and removal of packing materials. Carrier will call to set up a delivery time. Extraordinary delivery requirements may necessitate an additional fee to the carrier.

The estimated delivery time will be approximately 20 business days from the time of order.

Delivery is not available to Alaska and Hawaii.

* If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which will allow you to view this type of PDF document, visit the Adobe website at www.adobe.com to download this software. Adobe, Acrobat, and Acrobat Reader are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.

Costco.com offers merchandise which complements our warehouse product selection. Therefore, most items available on our web site are unique to costco.com.

Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 400 Costco warehouses worldwide.

[Model KE-50XS910]

· Registered
607 Posts
I was talking about the new sony discussed in this thread.

While the original poster didn't inquire about this specific model I was responding to your outright dismissal of all Sony plasma models. Oh yeah...the XS955 can be found for much less than $6500.

overtime

· Registered
700 Posts
Yes, i am talking my experience Sony tube sets have been GREA8T for me. Nothing has compared. Someone pointed me in the direction of a 950XBR Sony Plasma review online and it sounded as maybe the best or one of the best 50" plasmas made. It was a very good review. Then it is a thread talking about the xs955 Sony plasma that people are seeing and comparring to Panasonic 50" plasma and it seems the Sony is doing very well. So for the person that asked the question about which plasma, if i was you i would go to cc or bb and compare the Panny 50" to the Sony 50". If you can hold off you might wait untill the new Onyx Panasonic plasma comes out also and this is what i am doing. I will buy one around Xmas and i will buy the one with the best picture quality. Also i like sd tv and not many people like sd, so this is probably no concern but the reviews i am seeing, Sony is handling sd very good. One thing that is good, pq and plasma is getting better everyday and price is comming down everyday, so this is in our favor. I am watching Sony and Panasonic close but i will not count any brand out, if the pq is better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.