AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just got back from Circuit City down in Union Square.. I was checking out the Plasmas they had and how they stacked up against each other.. before anyone chimes in that the lighting isn't optimal, blah blah yada yada etc..

at least it's constant.. all the sets go up against the same bad lighting, all the sets are pretty much str8 fresh oob.. granted some sets may excel in these conditions.. i was primarily checking out the Panasonic, Sony and the Hitachi (sadly they didn't have any Pio's or NEC's which are the only other brand/plasmas I was interested in)

let me say tonight I've pretty much made my decision tonight.. I'm going the Panasonic route (size.. optimally 42 but hey if a 50 presents itself... hee!)

but if I had the money, I'd so get myself that sony KDE-42XBR950.. what a SWEET, *SWEET* display that was... it truly is the "Trophy" plasma

judging from what i saw.. it just had more... "punch" than the Panasonic.. pictures were more 'alive' and I don't know if it's an effect of the design--but the Sony picture more than any other plasma simply jumps out and grabs your attention.. sure the pana may excel in blacks/etc but the Sony with its floating glass design.. it was a force that couldn't be denied.. sadly it's near $8000 pricepoint is simply too high a price to pay for this gladiator

so Sony owners, I salute you.. owning that set is like indeed having that "trophy girlfriend" or something

me? I'll be a member of Team Plasma and Team Panasonic soon enough..

(no more rptv's for me.. i wanted to see the GWIII in display but odd enough.. they had none on display, the guys told me how it's all sold out blah blah blah so i asked them why they don't display it, who cares if it's sold out.. then they switched it up on me and said they had 2 in the back if i wanted to buy it on the spot, lol... suuureee, something fishy going on with the GWIII so my confidence has been depleted regarding those sets)

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I am intimately familiar with all the display devices you have mentioned.

SONY has been a piece of crapola in plasma and RPTV until they experienced a 99% drop in revenues.

They reached deep down video engineering wise and have come out with some outstanding displays. Bottom line: anything ending in XBR950 is primo.

You dismissed the 60 and 70 inch Grand Wega XBR950's too cursorly.

Assuming I had a long room (not wide) I would take the 70 wega over the 42 panny, anytime. Reconsider.

If that 70" wega yokes could be reversed and the base of the TV be able to be attached to the ceiling (70 wega xbr 950 upside down) with some tilt (10 -15 degrees). What a freaking bedroom screen.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
GooglyBear,

Yes, the Sony looks very punchy, bright and dimensional in store lighting. Even more so than the Pioneer plasmas, I find.

Given that you are going Panasonic, be heartened that, if you like to lower the lights somewhat to watch movies, the picture advantages will reverse: in darker surroundings the Panasonic will have better contrast and look overall more rich and dimensional than the Sony plasma.

But it's nice to see Sony got serious and put out a really competitive plasma. Who knows what they'll do next?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.